Tyson Barrie

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
It’s not a knock on Barrie. He’s a very good player.

We’ve made a lot of additions to help us improve as a team.

I don’t think anyone believes Barrie leaving makes us better, it’s all the moves as a whole that have helped.

I do.

We are a better team today that we were with him.

Kadri for Barrie alone makes us better. Rosen could surprise.

Makar replacing Barrie also makes us better as he is more dynamic offensively and better in our own end.

And finally not having Barrie be a complete liability on D makes us better.

Reactions: Foxtail

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I do.

We are a better team today that we were with him.

Kadri for Barrie alone makes us better. Rosen could surprise.

Makar replacing Barrie also makes us better as he is more dynamic offensively and better in our own end.

And finally not having Barrie be a complete liability on D makes us better.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly.

My thinking is our moves as a whole this offseason have helped improve our group.

If Barrie had left for nothing, obviously we would be worse. He’s a really good player and brought a lot more positive play than he did negative.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Oh yes.

I dont hate the trade, in fact I think we did quite well from a value perspective considering what Trouba and Subban returned before.

But make no mistake, short term our Defense went from the strength of this team to the weakest part and it will be obvious from day 1.

Disagree 100% again.

Girard
Makar
Zadorov
Byram
Cole
EJ
Timmins
Connauton
Rosen
Barberio
Graves

That's the deepest, most talented group in the league. Don't be surprised if Byram sticks giving us a lethal top 4.

I also think Timmins makes it and pairs up with Connauton to give us a very solid bottom pairing if Cole and EJ miss time. Throw in Rosen and Graves both of whom can play in the NHL and I think our D corps is much improved from last year.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly.

My thinking is our moves as a whole this offseason have helped improve our group.

If Barrie had left for nothing, obviously we would be worse. He’s a really good player and brought a lot more positive play than he did negative.

I think his play was a wash. For every goal he helped to create his sub-par D allowed the opponents to score.

Good player no doubt but not a top paring guy and not someone I would give 8 million to.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Byram
Connauton - Timmins

Rosen - Graves
Barberio

That's a pretty damn solid group even if EJ and Cole miss some time.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Byram
Connauton - Timmins

Rosen - Graves
Barberio

That's a pretty damn solid group even if EJ and Cole miss some time.

The entire right side of your "damn solid" D has a combined 8 games of NHL experience. And one of them is coming off a concussion and hasn't played in over a year. Just saying....

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Replacing Barrie with Rosen obviously weakens us short term, it would be foolish to suggest anything else. But our D still looks solid, especially from a long term perspective.

The biggest question mark on this teams roster is obviously goaltending.
Grubauer - Never been a starter in the league
Francouz - Never started a NHL game in his life
Third goalie with NHL experience = failed to acquire one, so far
Werner - First season in NA
Miska - AHL contract

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
The simple fact is that we would have never been able to acquire a 2C from any other team for Barrie. The Horvat and Huberdeau suggestions were laughable.

We saw what a legit top pairing dman got when Winnipeg traded Trouba.

Kadri would never be here if Toronto wasn't in a cap crunch and was playing behind Tavares and Mathews and the fact that we had to eat half of Barries contract proves that.
This

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com

I dunno man. That's some backwards logic. That's basically saying: this is the move we made. Therefore there were no other options. We made the move, therefore it was the best move we could have made.

Sorry I dont buy that. There were other options. We had 40m cap space. There were other options to acquire legit second liners.

I'll live with the trade. It's a decent trade and it will be interesting to see how things pan out. It will be nice to have a 2c and some grit.

But with 40m of capspace and lots of teams in cap trouble I feel like we could have fleeced some teams, and we didn't do that.

Meh. Let's see how it goes. I'm kind of indifferent

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are a better team without Barrie.

Supporters consistently point to the lost offensive production, but assume 50% of his scoring can be replicated by Makar/Girard/Byram etc. Better defence and increasing 2C production from Kadri would more than advance the team.

Barrie needed to go and the reasons were obvious.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Supporters consistently point to the lost offensive production, but assume 50% of his scoring can be replicated by Makar/Girard/Byram etc. Better defence and increasing 2C production from Kadri would more than advance the team.

And it had absolutely zero to do with Avs being better without him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
We can't even have a Barrie appreciation thread without the same A hole haters bagging on the guy.
I haven't seen one person say the trade was bad, but that don't mean we can't miss the guy and have to justify it

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

We can assume many things. Like that Avs will turn out to be worse without Barrie, short term anyway. Or that Kadri wont actually provide better 2C production, no matter how much we want him and expect him to do so.

Nothing is guaranteed to happen.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We can't even have a Barrie appreciation thread without the same A hole haters bagging on the guy.
I haven't seen one person say the trade was bad, but that don't mean we can't miss the guy and have to justify it
Well, this isn't the Barrie appreciation thread.

This thread was started by some dude that thinks Tyson Barrie is awful lol. We try to keep those folks in this thread.

Reactions: MarkT and Hornstar

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Well, this isn't the Barrie appreciation thread.

This thread was started by some dude that thinks Tyson Barrie is awful lol. We try to keep those folks in this thread.
Yeah well at this point it's like talking shit about your dead Grandma

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Pro Barrie supporters continue to complain about possibly lost production. He was going to leave or ask is too high than the team is willing to pay. Replacements are available to add some offensive. Defensively, they're better structured. Kadri will add much needed scoring and fills a greater need at 2C. Cap Savings next season will only add another weapon to resign or add more players/prospects.

AVs are now an improved team after the trade.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think he has a bigger chance to succeed, I imagine they are gonna pair TB with Muzzin and Rielly is gonna have to carry that train wreck Ceci, and also TB will be on PP1. With Rielly probably pushed to the second, but I might be wrong there.
Why would a 70 point d man get pushed to the second pp for a 60 point guy? And that’s not a slight for Barrie.

I’d say more likely is the return of a 1a / 1B pp for Toronto matthews / nylander and jt and marner and pick Reilly or Barrie doesn’t matter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad