Tyson Barrie

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
WTF did I walk into? I love Barrie wish we could have kept him. I guess if Jost put up 50 points last season or something the need for a 2C wouldnt be there. I blame Jost for Barrie getting traded lol.
I still think Barrie would've been traded regardless if Jost put up 50 points and had a superb two-way game. The nail in the coffin for Tyson was the drafting of Byram for me - a cause and effect occurrence.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
All good points. I think 40 is a little optimistic for Makar (thinking 30-35) and would expect 25 points from the 6D spot. So I think 135 pts total is more realistic.

Im curious what each team’s point totals by defensemen were last year, and how much that correlated to making and succeeding in the playoffs.

Just curious...why are guys undervaluing Makar? Dude had 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs and didn't get any PP time.

I think he outscores Barrie quite easily.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Just curious...why are guys undervaluing Makar? Dude had 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs and didn't get any PP time.

College players tend to hit a wall due to the number of games played.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
One playoff year Johan Franzen scored 13 goals in 16 games, why didn't he score 60+ the next season?

Goals are a bit harder to judge but Makar had 5 assists in 10 games.

Barrie put up 25 points on the PP I'd think Makar would well.

And if we play Makar on the MacKinnon line that would help even more.

I think the floor for Makar is 50 points.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

WideeyedPoorCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

So you’re expecting the greatest rookie season of all time by Makar?

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

The last time a rookie defenseman put up over 50 points was 1992-93 Vladimir malakhov (not sure who that is). Lidstrom also did it in 91-92.

Since the 2000s the best season by a rookie defenseman was Dion Phaneuf in 05-06. He scored 49.

Very unlikely Makar reaches those kinds of point totals.

NHL Records

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

I’m taking a bit of a hope for the best plan for the worst mentality with Cale. He certainly will have the potential and top pairing minutes to reach 40+.

However, it’s a stretch to say he’s going to outscore Barrie this season. I firmly believe he’ll pass Barrie the following year though after cale gets through a full pro season. The 6 pts in 10 games were great but that’s too small a sample size to base much off of although is very encouraging.

FWIW only 7 guys have scored more than 40 pts in their rookie season since 2006. The highest total in that time has been Phaneuf with 49 in 2006. The last time a dman reach 60 pts was Lidstrom in 1992.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The last time a rookie defenseman put up over 50 points was 1992-93 Vladimir malakhov (not sure who that is). Lidstrom also did it in 91-92.

Since the 2000s the best season by a rookie defenseman was Dion Phaneuf in 05-06. He scored 49.

Very unlikely Makar reaches those kinds of point totals.

NHL Records

Shit for real? You beat me by 6 mins while I was checking my facts and doing the research. Also lol’d bc I did the same thing and said “who the f*** is Vladimir malakhov.”

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
FWIW only 7 guys have scored more than 40 pts in their rookie season since 2006. The highest total in that time has been Phaneuf with 49 in 2006. The last time a dman reach 60 pts was Lidstrom in 1992.

Normally I'd agree with you 1000 times over. But when was the last time a rookie D-man made his NHL debut in a PO game and scored a goal? The talent is obviously there with Makar. His ceiling is as high as I have ever seen a prospect have. At this point, his biggest issue is his inexperience.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Normally I'd agree with you 1000 times over. But when was the last time a rookie D-man made his NHL debut in a PO game and scored a goal? The talent is obviously there with Makar. His ceiling is as high as I have ever seen a prospect have. At this point, his biggest issue is his inexperience.

He’s special. I think he’s going to be the Erik Karlsson of the next decade. But even Karlsson started out with 25 pts (60 games) and 45 pts (75 games) in his first 2 seasons.

As you said his biggest issue is inexperience. He needs to adjust to the rigors of an 82 game pro season. He’ll be there sooner rather than later, but I’m not expecting or counting on any more than 40 pts this year.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He’s special. I think he’s going to be the Erik Karlsson of the next decade. But even Karlsson started out with 25 pts (60 games) and 45 pts (75 games) in his first 2 seasons.

As you said his biggest issue is inexperience. He needs to adjust to the rigors of an 82 game pro season. He’ll be there sooner rather than later, but I’m not expecting or counting on any more than 40 pts this year.

I said at least 40 pts but I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches 50 or more. FTR, I'd be ecstatic with 40 pts.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I said at least 40 pts but I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches 50 or more. FTR, I'd be ecstatic with 40 pts.

Didnt see where you said the 40 pts. I’d be very happy with that too but think he falls short and ends with 35. But I’m desperately hoping your projection is more on point.

Reactions: flyfysher

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
So you’re expecting the greatest rookie season of all time by Makar?

Yes. I am.

Makar is a special talent. Not many players could have done what he did last year. Single handedly lead his his college team to the Finals then come to the NHL and score a goal in his first game and have 6 points in 10 games.

We wouldn't have traded Barrie if we didn't think Makar could replace him.

I will say it again, 50 points is his floor. Especially when he will be on the top PP unit with studs like MacKinnon and Rantanen.

I would also bet that if he was on the PP1 in the playoffs over Barrie he would have had more than 6 points in 10 games.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Makar is capable of a Werenski or Myers level rookie year. I fully expect around 47-50ish points, given he'll get plenty of PP time and time with MacKinnon line. And with a little puck luck he could be in the 55-60 range.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Didnt see where you said the 40 pts. I’d be very happy with that too but think he falls short and ends with 35. But I’m desperately hoping your projection is more on point.

It was in the Makar point projection thread. Like you, I also guessed 35 but then I thought about PP and OT so I upped it. And you saw the video clip of him and Girard just endlessly cycling the puck in the Sharks zone. They only got faster in the offseason with Burakovsky and Donskoi. Makar and his linemates are going to have lots and lots of scoring chances.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How many rookie defensemen actually get the opportunity to play on the first power play unit? Honest question; most rookies have guys ahead of them for that kind of prime ice time, much less with a forward group as potent as ours. Makar is going to have every opportunity to surpass 40 points this year. Now that Barrie is out of his way, the sky's the limit for what he's going to be able to do.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Could have had more points easily , the guys weren't used to playing with him , several plays weren't finished off .

It's not just about points either he's vastly superior in controlling the play and making things happen due to his superior ability.

He's Mack on the back end, the rest of the hockey world has him pegged as a better Karlsson and people here worry about replacing Barrie

Time to take the Barrie posters off your man cave walks and embrace this kid, he's the real deal

Keep the cap room open cause if he isn't locked up after this coming season offer sheets are gonna fly from every direction the following one.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How many rookie defensemen actually get the opportunity to play on the first power play unit? Honest question; most rookies have guys ahead of them for that kind of prime ice time, much less with a forward group as potent as ours. Makar is going to have every opportunity to surpass 40 points this year. Now that Barrie is out of his way, the sky's the limit for what he's going to be able to do.
You pretty much nailed it. Trading Barrie gave Makar the car keys to run the offense from the back end. He'll get first unit PP time, lots of favorable zone starts, and plenty of time with MacKinnon. Not many rookies get that opportunity, usually stuck on the third pairing, low ice time and minimal PP time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Could have had more points easily , the guys weren't used to playing with him , several plays weren't finished off .

It's not just about points either he's vastly superior in controlling the play and making things happen due to his superior ability.

He's Mack on the back end, the rest of the hockey world has him pegged as a better Karlsson and people here worry about replacing Barrie

Time to take the Barrie posters off your man cave walks and embrace this kid, he's the real deal

Keep the cap room open cause if he isn't locked up after this coming season offer sheets are gonna fly from every direction th following one.
Seriously the Barrie fandom in here is mind blowing. He is solid, and contributed a ton over the years but he's not irreplaceable. Makar is incredibly talented, way more so than Barrie. Not even worried about the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad