Value of: Tyson Barrie

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
You caught me... that's actually why I am willing to add Davidson into this proposal, because of that damned Expansion Draft. Very good argument.

Think you misinterpreted my response. All I said was from the Avs perspective it makes zero sense to be trading for two players for one at this time. If you don't see how that isn't a smart deal for the Avs to make at this time, then idk what to tell you. This coming from a guy who actually likes both of those players although I think RNH has some extremely bad luck with injuries. Like you said its precisely what the oilers need so why are we going to give you what you need without getting back something back we actually want.

The second part was a general comment about the situation that I feel like people overlook all the time. They think a trade needs to happen ASAP which is how we get all these deals like the OP.

Thanks for your snarky reply though. At least your proposal is better than the Eberle ones my friends think are fair.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Avs severely lack shot suppression from their forwards. Stepan is fantastic defensively.

Unfortunately, I miscalculated--from a straight shot suppression standpoint, Hayes is the better player.

Not like I haven't actually brought him into this or anything -_-

http://public.tableau.com/shared/CY2QXN2FW?:display_count=yes

So, you think we should give up Barrie, a 50 pt defenseman, for a "Standard 4th Line Center" whose claim to fame is shot suppression?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
hmm I mean, in that case, what about using Stepan as a centermen and moving Duchene to wing? Or do you like Duchene at center better?

If I'm not mistaken Stepan had a faceoff percentage in the lower 40's last year, no? Duchene was at 57%. I think that means I would certainly rather have Duchene at centre. Regardless, even though that would make the Avs offense really nice, the point is moot since any Barrie/Stepan swap would likely be followed by a Duchene/defensman swap.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If I'm not mistaken Stepan had a faceoff percentage in the lower 40's last year, no? Duchene was at 57%. I think that means I would certainly rather have Duchene at centre. Regardless, even though that would make the Avs offense really nice, the point is moot since any Barrie/Stepan swap would likely be followed by a Duchene/defensman swap.

Truth in this as well... I guess I should ask, from an Avs perspective, would you do Either of Duchene/Stepan for Hamonic?

Obviously I don't know if Islander fans would but... Hamonic is probably the best target for the Avs needs

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
hmm I mean, in that case, what about using Stepan as a centermen and moving Duchene to wing? Or do you like Duchene at center better?

I did cover that in my post but again: In the example that I gave, the one that is no longer feasible, I wouldn't mind a move like Barrie for Stepan followed by the signing of Demers. However the Panthers have sailed that ship off into the Gulf.

Duchene may end up on the wing anyway. He has shifted before and can play both well. I just wouldn't want to see a trade for Stepan and then a follow up trade like the other example I gave, involving Duchene for Trouba - just as an example

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
Any and every smart phone, once you have corrected Duchesne to Duchene once, will remember it going forward.

If you constantly read the name Everly instead of Eberle and it happened in EVERY thread about him, or another player that you admire, then you would get sick of it too. Smart phones auto correct a lot of last names of a lot of people and yet it's only ever used as an excuse in the case of Duchene.

Wow, ok teach, bet you can't wait to get back to class, so you can bully children again! Again who friggin' cares and stick to hockey comments or go teach summer school!

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Truth in this as well... I guess I should ask, from an Avs perspective, would you do Either of Duchene/Stepan for Hamonic?

Obviously I don't know if Islander fans would but... Hamonic is probably the best target for the Avs needs

I'm not a huge Hamonic fan, so no. He's fine as a top pairing shut down defensman, but if trading Duchene, I'd set my sights on someone with higher potential, e.g. Trouba. He's already a very dependable shut down player, but still has the potential to reach a higher level than Hamonic. The two names we've heard from credible insiders were Trouba and Lindholm (albeit briefly in the case of Lindholm, and Anaheim had no interest), but I imagine that is what the Avs brass is looking for. Regardless, I think that ship has sailed for this year, and the Avs will just stick with what they have.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN

So we are going to trade Barrie for Stepan and then flip him to NYI for Hamonic? All because NYR doesn't want to deal directly with NYI I presume.

As long as it isn't Duchene for Hamonic which I would not do. I would think about what is basically just a Barrie Hamonic swap

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Stepan for Hamonic, sure. Duchene for Hamonic, not with a significant + from the Islanders.

And, why is Hamonic a better target than just keeping Barrie?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Think you misinterpreted my response. All I said was from the Avs perspective it makes zero sense to be trading for two players for one at this time. If you don't see how that isn't a smart deal for the Avs to make at this time, then idk what to tell you. This coming from a guy who actually likes both of those players although I think RNH has some extremely bad luck with injuries. Like you said its precisely what the oilers need so why are we going to give you what you need without getting back something back we actually want.

The second part was a general comment about the situation that I feel like people overlook all the time. They think a trade needs to happen ASAP which is how we get all these deals like the OP.

Thanks for your snarky reply though. At least your proposal is better than the Eberle ones my friends think are fair.

Hey, I know you must be used to seeing smartassed sarcastic comments on here but mine were genuine... I wasn't being snarky at all, sorry you took it that way but I understand why, considering the environment.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Stepan for Hamonic, sure. Duchene for Hamonic, not with a significant + from the Islanders.

And, why is Hamonic a better target than just keeping Barrie?

Newport? Also he is signed to a much friendlier contract than what Barrie wants. But didn't Hamonic want to go back home or something?

I don't know if I would do it either but I would think about it. He would have to want to be here though.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I thought it was. Only because Hayes has 60 point Centerman potential, and Staal is already locked in on a $5.7M contract and is a top 4 dman (which, ironically, is an indirect Barrie replacement). Hell, I'd even RETAIN on Marc Staal.

This is all on top of the fact that the Avs don't even want to pay Barrie the $7-8M he's worth. If that's how you're going to play, Barrie's going to take as many arbitration awards as possible and then walk to UFA as fast as possible to get out of the organization.

So, Let's try this again.

Marc Staal @ $4M ($1.7M Retained)
Kevin Hayes

FOR

Tyson Barrie (Pending RFA who wants a long term deal at $7M+)
3rd Rounder

If you'd also want Nash @ 50% retained, then you'd have to add a 1st rounder and/or mid-to-high end prospect

Avalanche’s core is young and if we traded one young core piece away, that would mean we'd get one young core piece back. EJ just signed 6m deal for a top2 role in the avs and taking staal would mean that he'd get a similar role, however I undestand that Staal has been regressing slowly so his salary and role ratio wouldnt fit with the avs long term plans. I somewhat like Hayes but rangers needs to add something more. A guy like Barrie shoukd return something proven, and I personally would have loved the Barrie Draisaitl swap

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Newport? Also he is signed to a much friendlier contract than what Barrie wants. But didn't Hamonic want to go back home or something?

I don't know if I would do it either but I would think about it. He would have to want to be here though.

Newport doesn't bother me right now. They have very little leverage right now. In 2 years, that may change, but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

I also don't care what Barrie wants. I care about what Barrie ends up getting. Until we know what that is, it's pointless to compare contracts with Hamonic.

And I'm not saying Hamonic isn't a good player. He'd be a good replacement for Barrie, if we had to move him. I just don't think he's a better option than Barrie, unless Barrie gets an insane arbitration award.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Hey, I know you must be used to seeing smartassed sarcastic comments on here but mine were genuine... I wasn't being snarky at all, sorry you took it that way but I understand why, considering the environment.

Haha no its my bad, I totally read that in my head as sarcasm.

Think until this expansion draft is done there wont be much quantity deals. So that is why when it comes to Barrie its just a waiting game.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Trading Barrie for 2 forwards does clear things up a little for protection.

With Barrie, it looked like there were 4D to protect (Beauchemin, EJ, Barrie, Zadorov), so going the 8 skater route made sense.

With only 3 D to protect, we could protect 7 forwards (Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Soderberg, Tatar, Nyquist).

It doesn't help the Avs issues on the blueline though.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
To all Oilers fans that says RNH - Barrie swap is fair. Yeah maybe but Avs can't take that contract on another center/winger when our biggest weakness is our D. If Avs wanna pay someone 6M$ it's gotta be a defender. I would say 90% of Avs fans want Barrie to be signed long-term and hope it will be done before arbitration IMO.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Trading Barrie for 2 forwards does clear things up a little for protection.

With Barrie, it looked like there were 4D to protect (Beauchemin, EJ, Barrie, Zadorov), so going the 8 skater route made sense.

With only 3 D to protect, we could protect 7 forwards (Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Soderberg, Tatar, Nyquist).

It doesn't help the Avs issues on the blueline though.

Can't help ya out with everything:)

But Marchenko is a solid young NHL defenseman. Plus, he's a right side dman.

Two top 6 forwards and a bottom pairing(currently) young defenseman I thought was a good offer at least.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To all Oilers fans that says RNH - Barrie swap is fair. Yeah maybe but Avs can't take that contract on another center/winger when our biggest weakness is our D. If Avs wanna pay someone 6M$ it's gotta be a defender. I would say 90% of Avs fans want Barrie to be signed long-term and hope it will be done before arbitration IMO.

If that doesn't happen, I actually feel sorry for you Avs fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad