Value of: Tyson Barrie

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I know he's in like 92875345 threads at this point :laugh:, but I wanted to make one of these so I could accurately value him as a player.

What would it take to get Barrie?

I'm a Rangers fan, so strating from that, I'd offer:

One of Staal/Klein
One of Kreider/Hayes

and I would want back:

Barrie
Mid range pick (3rd-5th rounder)

Preferably, I'd do Klein + Kreider. I think that a) adequately replaces the lost RHD on the Avs, and b) Gives them an element of speed that would fit well with their other young players.

Fair? If not, tell me! :)

McDonagh, Stepan, Zuccarello or Zib would need to be part of any deal for me not to be disappointed.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't hate the RNH stuff. I like him a lot as a player. I just don't think it makes any sense for the Avs to acquire him. We've already got MacKinnon and Duchene and we just drafted Jost. Short or long term, I just don't see where he fits.

And no, I'm not asking for Duchene+Barrie proposals. That would make even less sense. Just don't think Edmomton is a good trading partner unless they lose their minds and overpay.

As for NYR, the OP won't cut it. Haven't thought too hard on what it'd take from them. McD is too much, but I don't have much interest in the other defenders. I guess Kreider plus a very good draft exempt prospect.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I don't hate the RNH stuff. I like him a lot as a player. I just don't think it makes any sense for the Avs to acquire him. We've already got MacKinnon and Duchene and we just drafted Jost. Short or long term, I just don't see where he fits.

And no, I'm not asking for Duchene+Barrie proposals. That would make even less sense. Just don't think Edmomton is a good trading partner unless they lose their minds and overpay.

Rnh, Duchene or Jost to wing long term. I remember rnh being hyped up before the draft and now he's playing under the radar but it would definitely help to understand his 6m contract if he found another level pointwise, maybe on the wing

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
okay, since Avs fans are all sour about this.

WHAT DO YOU WANT for Barrie? Give me some specifics on the player(s) you want to receive back--not this "well you want this, so we want that".

You're not getting a equal-level replacement for Barrie by trading Barrie -- that's not how this works. You can trade Barrie for a top 6 or top 3 forward, absolutely.

Otherwise I would have just proposed a D swap of McDonagh for Barrie--which again isn't what I asked about to begin this thread.
were not sour. we just know what we want, and for the most part it's not worth it. We own his rights for three years he still holds full value. Come big or go home

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I thought Hayes was a pretty good trade subject. Something around Hayes for Barrie... but since that's apparently not enough, what dabout something around Stepan for Barrie?

Fits a need for both teams (though I am ot sure the rangers want to move on from Stepan)
Hayes from what I've read is a third line winger. For a Elite oive d men. Do the math

That's like me offering mikkhal grigerinko for McDonagh as the starting piece what do you think about that

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
You want Barrie, we want Draisaitl. If you don't want to give up Draisaitl, we'll gladly keep Barrie.

YOU may want Draisaitl and YOU may not want to part with Barrie, both are irrelevant.

Why haven't the Avs signed Barrie?

To me, the only conclusion is that the Avs aren't close to thinking what Barrie feels he's worth. Other teams might feel Barrie is worth more of a cap hit than Avs. Avs are going to take a quantity package for Barrie if they cannot agree on a value.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
YOU may want Draisaitl and YOU may not want to part with Barrie, both are irrelevant.

To me, the only conclusion is that the Avs aren't close to thinking what Barrie feels he's worth. Other teams might feel Barrie is worth more of a cap hit than Avs. Avs are going to take a quantity package for Barrie if they cannot agree on a value.

His Arb date is already set for the end of the month and he is still an RFA for the next 3 years. Given how RFA works the deal Barrie will get from Arb will most likely be more in line with what the Avs are looking for but they do tend to get nasty. While I do personally think that Barrie hitting Arb greatly increases his chances of eventually being moved the Avs are in no rush to move him any time soon.

If they move him now then they will need a very solid replacement coming back, which is a very odd framework for a deal. However as time goes on, Barries value will increase, their young D prospects will continue to develop and it will allow the Avs more options in what they take back in return.

Unless a fantastic deal comes along the Avs would be unwise to move him, and especially when it comes to the joke deals that are on HFB.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
YOU may want Draisaitl and YOU may not want to part with Barrie, both are irrelevant

A wise man once said "only a sith speaks in absolutes".

You feel like giving a reason why the Avs "are going to" take a quantity package? Other than it supporting your narrative, of course.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
His Arb date is already set for the end of the month and he is still an RFA for the next 3 years. Given how RFA works the deal Barrie will get from Arb will most likely be more in line with what the Avs are looking for but they do tend to get nasty. While I do personally think that Barrie hitting Arb greatly increases his chances of eventually being moved the Avs are in no rush to move him any time soon.

If they move him now then they will need a very solid replacement coming back, which is a very odd framework for a deal. However as time goes on, Barries value will increase, their young D prospects will continue to develop and it will allow the Avs more options in what they take back in return.

Unless a fantastic deal comes along the Avs would be unwise to move him, and especially when it comes to the joke deals that are on HFB.

Avs would be unwise to move him but wisdom and Avalanche player moves are mutually exclusive these days.

A wise man once said "only a sith speaks in absolutes".

You feel like giving a reason why the Avs "are going to" take a quantity package? Other than it supporting your narrative, of course.

It's funny how every fan on these boards always wants their team to trade the 3 and receive the 1.

If the Avs thought that high of Barrie, they would've signed him long term by now. The Avs went down a similar route with O'Reilly; it seems that they have a number in their head for certain players and if the player doesn't agree with that number they play hard ball until they part ways.

I don't think the Avs can afford that many "star" players IE 5 mil +. If they deem Barrie too expensive, then why would they pay another "star" player that money? The way would be to do with younger, cheaper depth and instead of having a roster of eight "star" players, and a bunch of depth players they go with five "stars" and greater quality supporting players.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Avs would be unwise to move him but wisdom and Avalanche player moves are mutually exclusive these days.

It's funny how every fan on these boards always wants their team to trade the 3 and receive the 1.

If the Avs thought that high of Barrie, they would've signed him long term by now. The Avs went down a similar route with O'Reilly; it seems that they have a number in their head for certain players and if the player doesn't agree with that number they play hard ball until they part ways.

I don't think the Avs can afford that many "star" players IE 5 mil +. If they deem Barrie too expensive, then why would they pay another "star" player that money? The way would be to do with younger, cheaper depth and instead of having a roster of eight "star" players, and a bunch of depth players they go with five "stars" and greater quality supporting players.

Yes, that's obviously the reason. That's the reason why it took Nashville so long to sign Weber a few years back, or why plenty of RFAs this year aren't signed (Kucherov, Hoffman, Dekeyser, Gaudreau, Monahan, etc). Obviously the teams aren't high on their players, or else they would've signed by now.

The O'Reilly situation began with the previous regime with Lacroix and Sherman. Sakic and Roy inherited it, but we have no idea what happened behind closed doors, besides that O'Reilly wanted more than what the Avs would give him.

Anything regarding Barrie right now is speculation until he's either signed or the arbitration date comes around.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I dont even know where to begin with this pile of manure.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

And what moves would you be referring to? I think you're confusing the Avs with a Canadian team lol

Also do you think RoR would be worth his contract on the Avs? Who should they have gotten rid of instead of him if thats the case?

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
If the Avs move Barrie, they need a RD back. Avs got two really good RD, but not much else after prospect Nicolas Meloche as RD.

One option I could accept would be a veteran maybe 33-35 year old second pairing RD to plug in on Barries spot + a top 5 draft pick.

Another option I could accept is a mid/late first round draft pick + a decent 2nd pairing young RD with upside.

In a quantity for quality offer, the quantity better be a second pairing RD + several draft picks from the first three draft rounds. I do not want spare parts that are not picks/prospects.

I can accept the Avs getting worse in the short run if I can be excited about the 2017 draft class.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
JVR would fit well in the AVS lineup but his contract is expiring way too soon for him to be the centerpiece of that trade. I'd rather have 3 years of Barrie and then lose him to free agency than 2 years of JVR and then losing him to free agency.

I'd do Barrie+ for JVR + Gardiner. Not sure what I'd add to Barrie though...we don't have a lot of depth and we need to keep our picks.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

No, theyre just going to go to arb. You're two years ahead of yourself. 2018 is when they'll have to sign him long term or trade him.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
I have used sarcasm 3-4 times, all in response to one poster, and that poster was not you. Using something a handful of times does not equate to "unholy amounts," and and considering it's not being directed at you, there is no way it should prevent you from responding. Stop being so dramatic. I'm not sure why I should bother giving serious responses when the lengthy and serious response I gave to you on page one, for example, just goes blithely ignored. You asked what it would take, you got told, and now you appear more interested in getting your feelings hurt about it.

Lets all gang up on Avs44 who is secretly Patrick Roy doing underground recon on HF boards.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd do that.

Regardless of value, that just doesn't seem like the type of trade the Avs would go for.

Bad defensive team trades defenseman for two offensive minded wingers just not something I see happening. At least, not this year. Maybe if we get desperate a couple years down the line.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Adam Larsson managed to get Taylor Hall. Barrie, the better Dman will get a similar elite forward, not a bunch of castaways that fans of teams will secretly be happy to have gotten rid of.

That's debatable and the big difference is that Larsson is signed to a very cap friendly cap deal for the next 5 years while Barrie is almost sure to be signed to a bigger contract and perhaps much bigger contract. That's why Larsson was able to net Taylor Hall value and why Barrie probably won't.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
That's debatable and the big difference is that Larsson is signed to a very cap friendly cap deal for the next 5 years while Barrie is almost sure to be signed to a bigger contract and perhaps much bigger contract. That's why Larsson was able to net Taylor Hall value and why Barrie probably won't.

Right and Barrie will command more because he's the better player. Chiarelli moved Taylor Hall because he was desperate to fix his god awful defense. Colorado isn't in the same spot. Sakic has also done fairly well with big trades. There will be a lot more than one team interested in Barrie, driving the price up.

Maybe some people here should learn to trust when Avs fans when it comes to value of Avalanche players. We got laughed at when we said what ROR would return.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

It's probably more because NJ just got Hall and isn't looking to trade him before he plays a game for them. :sarcasm:

Right now, I don't know how debatable it is that Barrie isn't better. He's scored 102 points in his last 2 seasons (158 games), compared to 69 in Larsson's 274 game career. I know points aren't anything, but that difference in offensive prowess is significantly larger than any advantage Larsson has in defensive abilities. If Barrie isn't better right now, why is it almost sure that he's going to get a bigger contract in arbitration?

I'm not saying Larsson doesn't have a higher ceiling. He still has the potential to be that minute eating 1D, which I don't think Barrie has. Maybe Larsson takes that next step this season, maybe not.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
And what moves would you be referring to? I think you're confusing the Avs with a Canadian team lol

Also do you think RoR would be worth his contract on the Avs? Who should they have gotten rid of instead of him if thats the case?

If Avs didn't play hard ball with RO'R in the first place he would've signed for less, longer term.

It's rare that teams go to battle with players the team also think are core players. It doesn't seem that the Avs see Barrie as a core player.

That's not true...last year Nashville traded a player scheduled for arbitration before his hearing date. Dater also posted that this year and then corrected himself...

I believe the way it works is if another team agrees with a trade with the Avs and a contract with Barrie, Barrie signs the contract with the Avs then right after he gets traded to the other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->