Value of: Tyson Barrie

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's debatable and the big difference is that Larsson is signed to a very cap friendly cap deal for the next 5 years while Barrie is almost sure to be signed to a bigger contract and perhaps much bigger contract. That's why Larsson was able to net Taylor Hall value and why Barrie probably won't.

Also there are no teams that have a Hall level player they want to deal for Barrie. Larsson for Hall was a one off deal, not the new standard many fans with young top 4 D are hoping for.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
You shall not jab the avs when the case edmonton is still fairly recent and chiarelli is walking free on the street

Are you referring to the Hall trade?

If so, I'm far less oppose to it them most. It totally makes sense to me but the actual test is to see if the Oilers are a better team next season.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If Avs didn't play hard ball with RO'R in the first place he would've signed for less, longer term.

It's rare that teams go to battle with players the team also think are core players. It doesn't seem that the Avs see Barrie as a core player.

I believe the way it works is if another team agrees with a trade with the Avs and a contract with Barrie, Barrie signs the contract with the Avs then right after he gets traded to the other team.

Pierre LaCroix was GM when the Avs played hardball with ROR. He was notorious for take it or leave it lowball offers. He was fired shortly after that negotiation.

And, there is some grey area between going to battle with a player and caving to their every demand.

And, if a core player wants an unreasonable salary, maybe he's not interested in being part of the core. If Barrie's more interested in getting the highest possible salary than the success of the team, maybe he's not really the kind of core player we need.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Pierre LaCroix was GM when the Avs played hardball with ROR. He was notorious for take it or leave it lowball offers. He was fired shortly after that negotiation.

And, there is some grey area between going to battle with a player and caving to their every demand.

And, if a core player wants an unreasonable salary, maybe he's not interested in being part of the core. If Barrie's more interested in getting the highest possible salary than the success of the team, maybe he's not really the kind of core player we need.

I agree with the bolded but I would imagine he has a good idea of the salary dynamics of the Avs. I would think if Barrie was offered something around 6 mil per with term he would take it.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I agree with the bolded but I would imagine he has a good idea of the salary dynamics of the Avs. I would think if Barrie was offered something around 6 mil per with term he would take it.

Maybe, maybe not. He is represented by Newport, who would probably slaughter a bag full of puppies to get him an extra $1m.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Maybe, maybe not. He is represented by Newport, who would probably slaughter a bag full of puppies to get him an extra $1m.

So much truth in this post lol

One thing no one has mentioned, and I'll admit it only matters so much.. Is that Tyson Barrie and MacKinnon are very close friends. MacK just signed a 7 year deal.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Avs didn't play hard ball with RO'R in the first place he would've signed for less, longer term.

It's rare that teams go to battle with players the team also think are core players. It doesn't seem that the Avs see Barrie as a core player.

I believe the way it works is if another team agrees with a trade with the Avs and a contract with Barrie, Barrie signs the contract with the Avs then right after he gets traded to the other team.

There is no way of possibly knowing that. Its irresponsible and foolish to make such an assumption.

Also on your second point, to be more specific he was the Avs 5th most important core player but the Avs have no reason to massively overpay an RFA. So instead of taking on Cap troubles they moved him to address needs elsewhere on the roster. It seems to have worked out well for all parties involved in the end.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I think it is far more likely that the Avs are offering a deal around 5.5 and Barrie is seeking 6.5 plus. Newport is very well known to be the "We will get you paid big money as long as you dont care where you play" agency. I mean look at Turris, PK, and RoR. Starting to sense a trend.

Honestly its unlikely Barrie gets over 6m from an Arb so it makes a lot of sense to just hold on to Barrie until the trade dead line next year. Keeps Avs competitive, his trade value will either increase or his contract value will drop and it gives the Avs time to let their young guys develop. Unless there was a perfect offer right now there is little reason to trade the guy at this moment.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Also there are no teams that have a Hall level player they want to deal for Barrie. Larsson for Hall was a one off deal, not the new standard many fans with young top 4 D are hoping for.

You're probably right which is why he hasn't, and won't be, moved this offseason.

Realistically, Barrie and the Avs will agree to an 11th hour deal on the eve of arb. It'll be for 1 year and $5.75m, and we're in almost the exact same spot next year.

I'm not particularly happy with that, but it appears the Avs are.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There is no way of possibly knowing that. Its irresponsible and foolish to make such an assumption.

Also on your second point, to be more specific he was the Avs 5th most important core player but the Avs have no reason to massively overpay an RFA. So instead of taking on Cap troubles they moved him to address needs elsewhere on the roster. It seems to have worked out well for all parties involved in the end.

There's no way to know it for sure. But, if you think back to the negotiations following his ELC, the reports were that the Avs were offering roughly $3m per season, with 2 different terms, which set off the whole series of events that led to ROR leaving.

Had LaCroix not been so stubborn, it's plausible that ROR might have signed a long term deal worth $4.5-5m per season.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
As an Oil fan I would love this guy. Unfortunately our ... well lets just politely say "foolish" GM made a trade this off-season that has distorted the market for defense. We simply don't have the assets we are willing to give up to convince the Avs to deal. I figure every conversation has "but Hall for Larsson" in it somewhere.

With that said, I don't understand why everyone is convinced the Avs need to trade this guy. Avs have $7M cap space. Once they sign Barrie, they only have one roster spot to fill with the left-over cap space. I am definitely not knowledgeable regarding these proceedings but I would be surprised if Barrie got awarded $6M+, leaving at least $1M to sign the final roster spot. With no major raises in the immediate future that I can see (not sure on the trajectory of future Av's RFAs), this leaves the Avs with a couple years to make the decision. If they need to clear cap space in the future, they definitely can by making this move then.

This of course makes me quite sad, because the Oil will likely not get that final piece they require to get them over this abysmal hump.:cry:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As an Oil fan I would love this guy. Unfortunately our ... well lets just politely say "foolish" GM made a trade this off-season that has distorted the market for defense. We simply don't have the assets we are willing to give up to convince the Avs to deal. I figure every conversation has "but Hall for Larsson" in it somewhere.

With that said, I don't understand why everyone is convinced the Avs need to trade this guy. Avs have $7M cap space. Once they sign Barrie, they only have one roster spot to fill with the left-over cap space. I am definitely not knowledgeable regarding these proceedings but I would be surprised if Barrie got awarded $6M+, leaving at least $1M to sign the final roster spot. With no major raises in the immediate future that I can see (not sure on the trajectory of future Av's RFAs), this leaves the Avs with a couple years to make the decision. If they need to clear cap space in the future, they definitely can by making this move then.

This of course makes me quite sad, because the Oil will likely not get that final piece they require to get them over this abysmal hump.:cry:

If a couple of the Avs youngsters are ready for NHL duty this year, there is no reason to sign anyone. I'd rather see what Rantanen and Compher can do at the NHL level than sign a bottom 6 UFA.

And, Iginla comes off the books next season, giving the Avs $5.3m in space. I'd expect that to be enough to give all their RFAs any merit based raises next off season.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There's no way to know it for sure. But, if you think back to the negotiations following his ELC, the reports were that the Avs were offering roughly $3m per season, with 2 different terms, which set off the whole series of events that led to ROR leaving.

Had LaCroix not been so stubborn, it's plausible that ROR might have signed a long term deal worth $4.5-5m per season.

It doesn't matter. You can blame the Lacroixs until the cows come home, in the end, it doesn't matter.

Here's why : even if Lacroix gave in and gave ROR his rumored demand of a 5 year - $5M deal, that deal would be up after this coming season and then he'd be a UFA next summer. So the Avs would be in a situation RIGHT NOW where they are trying to sign him long-term and he has 1 year left until he's a UFA. How do you think we'd do there?

My bet is, he wouldn't have wanted to sign to stay in Colorado and rather would look to become an unrestricted free agent.

So in the end, we would STILL have ended up being forced to give up and trade one of our core guys.

The way everything played out even after the Lacroixs had gone from this team still points squarely at the fact that ROR didn't really want to be in Colorado long-term. Whether that's because ROR wasn't made captain or because he didn't feel appreciated as the team's best player or whatever, it doesn't matter in the end.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It doesn't matter. You can blame the Lacroixs until the cows come home, in the end, it doesn't matter.

Here's why : even if Lacroix gave in and gave ROR his rumored demand of a 5 year - $5M deal, that deal would be up after this coming season and then he'd be a UFA next summer. So the Avs would be in a situation RIGHT NOW where they are trying to sign him long-term and he has 1 year left until he's a UFA. How do you think we'd do there?

My bet is, he wouldn't have wanted to sign to stay in Colorado and rather would look to become an unrestricted free agent.

So in the end, we would STILL have ended up being forced to give up and trade one of our core guys.

The way everything played out even after the Lacroixs had gone from this team still points squarely at the fact that ROR didn't really want to be in Colorado long-term. Whether that's because ROR wasn't made captain or because he didn't feel appreciated as the team's best player or whatever, it doesn't matter in the end.

I agree that it doesn't really matter in the long term. Just saying that it's plausible that he might have signed a long term, cheaper deal after his ELC than what he ended up getting through the fiasco that ensued.

And, it is also plausible that if he hadn't felt disrespected by the Avs, maybe he would have wanted to stay long term. LaCroix getting fired wouldn't automatically eliminate any possible resentment he felt towards the team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If a couple of the Avs youngsters are ready for NHL duty this year, there is no reason to sign anyone. I'd rather see what Rantanen and Compher can do at the NHL level than sign a bottom 6 UFA.

And, Iginla comes off the books next season, giving the Avs $5.3m in space. I'd expect that to be enough to give all their RFAs any merit based raises next off season.

And Stuart's $3.6m too. $8.9m in dead cap this season. That'll be a big relief.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Great article by Dater on the Avs and Tyson Barrie (other stuff too). Worth the read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652997-nhl-arbitration-potential-for-bruised-feelings-make-actual-hearings-rare

Actually that is classic Dater spoon feeding the masses exactly what they want to hear with the only trick he has, and that is that hes been around for a long time and has some stories to tell.

It's not the first time in the last month the 12 years ago story was used either.

Click bait classic

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Actually that is classic Dater spoon feeding the masses exactly what they want to hear with the only trick he has, and that is that hes been around for a long time and has some stories to tell.

It's not the first time in the last month the 12 years ago story was used either.

Click bait classic

it's pretty blah article, aside from some good reference to some stuff from the past. Everything in it is true, and it even throws cold water on all the Barrie rumours, and says that Sakic likely is happy to let the arbiter decide the number, pick the two year option that ends in RFA status, and then re-assess.

It's definitely true though, that in general getting to arbitration is a very bad sign and it very often means that the player will leave within a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad