Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie Re-Signs 3 Years @$4.5M AAV

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It seems that he has had a bit of a rough start to the season. He is a new dad which as any parents out there should know it is a big transition and sleep goes the way of the Dodo bird. He also started pretty slowly last season IIRC. If the plan is to keep Barrie around for the duration of his contract, we need to find him a steady D partner if Bouch will be playing up with Nurse from here on out. I am glad that Holland didn't open the vault and make Barrie unmovable in the event that he struggles longer term.
The good thing is the cap hit is low so it will be easy to move. Plus McDavid will feed him points

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm thinking he'll be moved this offseason to clear cap space for Puljujarvi. If not, next offseason at the latest. We'll need to make room for Bouchard and Puljujarvi's next contracts.

It is entirely possible. We will be hurting for cap space this offseason, that is for sure.

Reactions: ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The good thing is the cap hit is low so it will be easy to move. Plus McDavid will feed him points

Agreed. Had Holland paid him like a top pairing guy, odds are that we'd be losing Puljujarvi because of it. We should be able to move him to a team starved for offense from the blueline and get a decent return of futures.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It is entirely possible. We will be hurting for cap space this offseason, that is for sure.

I'm just glad that we don't seem to have any real albatross contracts on our hands. Holland spent big money this offseason and the moves are all working out so far. As I said a few days ago I like this Holland Cap Hell a lot more than the Chiarelli version with contracts like Lucic, Russell, and Koskinen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm just glad that we don't seem to have any real albatross contracts on our hands. Holland spent big money this offseason and the moves are all working out so far. As I said a few days ago I like this Holland Cap Hell a lot more than the Chiarelli version with contracts like Lucic, Russell, and Koskinen.

IMO the cap hell will come on the back half of RNH's and Hyman's contracts. If they can at least be solid 3rd liners at that point they'd probably still be worth their cap hits.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
IMO the cap hell will come on the back half of RNH's and Hyman's contracts. If they can at least be solid 3rd liners at that point they'd probably still be worth their cap hits.

Honestly I don't care if we get cap hell 4 or 5 years down the road as long as we win before that (ideally more than 1 cup). But yeah, with the discounts both took, if they can be high end 3rd liners and the cap goes up they might still be worth those contracts.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly I don't care if we get cap hell 4 or 5 years down the road as long as we win before that (ideally more than 1 cup). But yeah, with the discounts both took, if they can be high end 3rd liners and the cap goes up they might still be worth those contracts.

IMO RNH, Hyman and Barrie all left money on the table when they signed their deals. You could argue Smith as well, although Holland made sure to give him that 2nd season to keep him happy and the cap hit low. The Nurse contract threw a big time monkey wrench into things, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Reactions: Aerchon and ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
IMO RNH, Hyman and Barrie all left money on the table when they signed their deals. You could argue Smith as well, although Holland made sure to give him that 2nd season to keep him happy and the cap hit low. The Nurse contract threw a big time monkey wrench into things, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Agreed on all accounts. Though if Koskinen's solid season keeps up we'll have a difficult decision with him and Skinner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Agreed on all accounts. Though if Koskinen's solid season keeps up we'll have a difficult decision with him and Skinner.

Barring more trades I don't see us investing heavily into our goaltending. Skinner likely makes the team and Koskinen walks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well obviously Koskinen is in for a major pay cut, but if he gives us a .915 season with close to 41 games this year it will be a hard decision imo.

We need to see what Skinner is capable of at some time this season. The cap crunch is very real, especially is Jesse keeps playing like he has.

Reactions: ujju2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We need to see what Skinner is capable of at some time this season. The cap crunch is very real, especially is Jesse keeps playing like he has.

Agreed- even when Kosko's contract ends after this season-- if you want to give Puls a substantial raise then you can't go out and sign an expensive goalie (or at least until the following year when Keith's contract expires) so if Skinner can step up then its a huge advantage for the Oilers. I hope we see him play a few games before Christmas for a better look/see.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't agree about Hyman but Barrie is a great deal for Oilers even if he isn't on the Nurse pairing.

Don't think anyone else would have given Hyman the 7 year/potential 8 yr term.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Agreed.

I do not think that Holland moves Barrie. Methinks that part of the reason that Barrie signed for the deal he did was so that he could stay here for a bit.

I wonder if there is a handshake agreement that Holland does not move Barrie (for at least a year or two). Besides, it is bad form to sign a player and then trade that player less than half a year later.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Holland ‘win now’ guys (bold is 30 or over):
Kassian (3.2), Turris (1.6), Ryan (1.25), Shore (.85), Keith (5.5), Barrie (4.5), Ceci (3.25), Russel (1.25), Smith (2.2), Archi (1.5), Stalock (.75) and Neal/Sekera/Lucic buyouts (5).

That is over 30 million dollars in cap space

Returning next season will be Kassian (3.2), Ryan (1.6), Shore (.85), Keith (5.5), Barrie (4.5), Ceci (3.25), Smith (2.2) and Neal/Sekera/Lucic buyouts (5) for 26 million next season... I'm not seeing much value in this group next season to be honest.

Nurse goes from over 5 million to over 9million
JP is due for a big raise as well (both are worth it) but pointing out that we are very cap poor.

FTR.. no poor chia contracts will be left on the team.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Holland ‘win now’ guys (bold is 30 or over):
Kassian (3.2), Turris (1.6), Ryan (1.25), Shore (.85), Keith (5.5), Barrie (4.5), Ceci (3.25), Russel (1.25), Smith (2.2), Archi (1.5), Stalock (.75) and Neal/Sekera/Lucic buyouts (5).

That is over 30 million dollars in cap space

Returning next season will be Kassian (3.2), Ryan (1.6), Shore (.85), Keith (5.5), Barrie (4.5), Ceci (3.25), Smith (2.2) and Neal/Sekera/Lucic buyouts (5) for 26 million next season... I'm not seeing much value in this group next season to be honest.

Nurse goes from over 5 million to over 9million
JP is due for a big raise as well (both are worth it) but pointing out that we are very cap poor.

FTR.. no poor chia contracts will be left on the team.
I don't see a problem with the Barrie or Ryan deals. Ceci has also been earning it and if he has a good season all around I don't see how those three guys are terrible contracts. Shore is absolutely negligible. If you didn't know the names and were told you had last year's leading defenseive scorer for 4.5 would you be upset?

Defenseive was a typo but I'm finding it ironically funny considering.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't see a problem with the Barrie or Ryan deals. Ceci has also been earning it and if he has a good season all around I don't see how those three guys are terrible contracts. Shore is absolutely negligible. If you didn't know the names and were told you had last year's leading defenseive scorer for 4.5 would you be upset?

Defenseive was a typo but I'm finding it ironically funny considering.
I really didn't need 3 more years of Barrie. He leads us in points this season too but I'd say he's been our worst Dman so far. I don't see age helping him.

Ceci may end up being a bargain based on 6 games... if he can keep this up for 3 years... I will agree with that for sure.

How old is Ryan next season? 35? Time will tell.

Shore was an unnecessary contract and term. I doubt any other NHL team was offering him 2 years and a 1 way contract.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I really didn't need 3 more years of Barrie. He leads us in points this season too but I'd say he's been our worst Dman so far. I don't see age helping him.

Ceci may end up being a bargain based on 6 games... if he can keep this up for 3 years... I will agree with that for sure.

How old is Ryan next season? 35? Time will tell.

Shore was an unnecessary contract and term. I doubt any other NHL team was offering him 2 years and a 1 way contract.
I mean, sure about Barrie. But the term and AAV is hardly a killer. If he leads again, is it a difficult contract to move with two years? I'd like to think not but maybe.

Shore, absolutely unnecessary, but I don't think it hampers the team in any capacity at all.

I think Ryan has been really good so far. I think it's just as likely he plays his game for another season as it is he totally falls off a cliff. Especially if they come into a legit 3rd line center and he can be bumped to the 4th.

Ceci is the real wildcard for me.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean, sure about Barrie. But the term and AAV is hardly a killer. If he leads again, is it a difficult contract to move with two years? I'd like to think not but maybe.

Shore, absolutely unnecessary, but I don't think it hampers the team in any capacity at all.

I think Ryan has been really good so far. I think it's just as likely he plays his game for another season as it is he totally falls off a cliff. Especially if they come into a legit 3rd line center and he can be bumped to the 4th.

Ceci is the real wildcard for me.
I was not happy at all about the Ceci signing... That may end up being a great signing and I may have been dead wrong. Hope so.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
At his worst, he's an exponentially more offensively gifted Bear and has shown to be able to fight a heavy cycle better than Bear has this year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tyson Barrie kind of sucks but puts up numbers. Why is this news to anyone on here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad