Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie Re-Signs 3 Years @$4.5M AAV

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I even wonder if people somehow look at his pts totals and say to themselves "well thats not so great" inspite of it occurring in a substantially reduced 56GP Covid season.

I mean the pts pace is incredible and something we haven't been seeing since Pronger.

If Barrie played in Paul Coffey circa times he would exceed PPG player.
Definitely.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Well given what generational D are paid in present era Pronger would cost at least 12M. Pronger would possibly get more, and be the highest paid player in hockey.
Yeah Pronger was a franchise dman, he was elite in just about every aspect, complete dmen like that at that level are so rare.

Barrie is elite offensively but he’s fairly one dimensional, which is fine because he’s only getting paid 4.5. Hopefully he can mentor Bouchard a bit, but I’m hoping Bouchard can use his size and be more complete in his prime.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I get what you're saying but perspective. Has any other Oiler dman before Barrie had the same targeted icetime w/ McDrai as him? full 2 minute PP's to boot?

Barrie has had some troubling and scary #'s in both Col and TO when the coaches got away from "targeting" his icetime and tried to spread him out

There's a reason Off -Dmen such as Gustaffson, Shatty, Green, etc get moved from team to team and rarely see full careers. It's a rarity you see guys like Yandle do it for so long

Klefbom. From a production view did very little with it. His most memorable offensive plays being shooting right into blocks, fumbling puck, absolute refusal to skate around or move puck around block on PP. Klef got those kinds of minutes.

I mean Barrie is producing at twice the rate Klef was with similar assignment. Playing with the same identical players.

Lets remember this was Barries first season here, a portion of his season was still adapting to schemes, players, and he still put up what he did. He might be better in 2nd season here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Other GMs probably love this contract, as literally the most effective D at limiting McDavid/Draisaitl is Tyson Barrie. If you found a D that could limit McDavids and Draisaitls offensive production by 5-10%, you would likely chuck a ton of money at them. And for other GMs, they dont even need to waste the cap space.

McDavid is great with Barrie, better without him, and Barrie is replacement-level caliber without McDavid.

The Secondary Assist Assassin cashed in for a nice contract and we have 3 more years of putting an anchor on McDavid

upload_2021-8-5_9-38-11.png

Reactions: Little Fury

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Other GMs probably love this contract, as literally the most effective D at limiting McDavid/Draisaitl is Tyson Barrie. If you found a D that could limit McDavids and Draisaitls offensive production by 5-10%, you would likely chuck a ton of money at them. And for other GMs, they dont even need to waste the cap space.

McDavid is great with Barrie, better without him, and Barrie is replacement-level caliber without McDavid.

The Secondary Assist Assassin cashed in for a nice contract and we have 3 more years of putting an anchor on McDavid

View attachment 459452

If secondary assists are so worthless and easy to get playing with McDavid, how come no other D have been able to rack a significant amount up?

Never really seen a reasonable answer to this. Genuinely curious if someone has one

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
IMO Barrie returning will really help Nurse to continue his play from last season and allow Bouchard to be broken in slowly.
I feel like Bouchard is suddenly in a really good spot development wise. He has Keith to show him the ropes at both ends and the leading defensive scorer to help along his own biggest skills.

Edit: And no one really blocking him from jumping into the top 4 as Ceci can slide down without much fuss I'd bet.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

View attachment 459452

Does this chart factor in that when Mcdavid is on the ice with Barrie they’re usually going up against the hardest competition?

Reactions: snipes

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

View attachment 459452

Classic egghead take. Pucks need to leave the zone hence the secondary assists.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
How are there still people that think a dude who led all defensemen in points is holding back McDavid's production when the latter literally just paced for the first f***ing 150 point season since Mario Lemieux? Tyson Barrie has plenty of problems as a defenseman and is almost certainly the reason that McDavid/Draisaitl/Nurse go from the below league average players defensively they probably actually are analytically to bottom 5 percentile defensive metrics with Barrie on the team. But holding back their offensive production? Lmfao.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo these stats of a certain player with a another player, and then away, has become the latest useless stat much like plus minus before people clued into its flaws.

Context matters. When McDavid is away from Barrie, are we going even strength vs PP? What are the other linemates or D partner? What zone is that line starting in? What's the TOI difference? There are other factors that will obviously affect stats.

Firewagon13

Dec 1, 2017
A lot of people harp on him being poor defensively, but how many guys in the league bring his level of offence and great defence to boot? Very few, and the ones that do aren’t getting traded here.

I’d take Barrie over Larsson any day - the best defence can be offence, and the more control of possession and moving the puck the less defending you are doing. An entire defence can’t be just stay at home guys - need offensive minded players that can push the pace up ice too.

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I feel like Bouchard is suddenly in a really good spot development wise. He has Keith to show him the ropes at both ends and the leading defensive scorer to help along his own biggest skills.

Edit: And no one really blocking him from jumping into the top 4 as Ceci can slide down without much fuss I'd bet.

Yup, other than the potential issue of PKing, IMO Bouch is in a very good spot especially if we upgrade our 3LD.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good to see Barrie sign on. He sees what's happening here.
It is surprising, probably to Holland as well. The plan was probably to have a right side of Bear-Larsson-Bouchard

Barrie agreeing to a team friendly deal was an opportunity. We kept a good RHD instead of having him walk, and that allowed us to trade Bear for the kind of player who simply isn't for sale (Foegele)

Bottom sixers are often bargain bin fodder, but good young ones are far more valuable than casual fans realize. As Oiler fans, we see the value of good bottom sixers, in that we see what happens when you don't have them.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It is surprising, probably to Holland as well. The plan was probably to have a right side of Bear-Larsson-Bouchard

Barrie agreeing to a team friendly deal was an opportunity. We kept a good RHD instead of having him walk, and that allowed us to trade Bear for the kind of player who simply isn't for sale (Foegele)

Bottom sixers are often bargain bin fodder, but good young ones are far more valuable than casual fans realize. As Oiler fans, we see the value of good bottom sixers, in that we see what happens when you don't have them.

I don't think Holland had any delusions of trading Bear. He is clearly trying to fill holes that the playoffs exposed and Bear sank in that regard 2 years running.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think Holland had any delusions of trading Bear. He is clearly trying to fill holes that the playoffs exposed and Bear sank in that regard 2 years running.
He understands that young Dmen take time though. Also Barrie reached free agency so obviously Holland was okay with him walking.

Holland even said when he got Keith that it was to help settle the team down, which had to include Bear, you would think. I bet he envisioned a Keith-Bear pairing

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Klefbom. From a production view did very little with it. His most memorable offensive plays being shooting right into blocks, fumbling puck, absolute refusal to skate around or move puck around block on PP. Klef got those kinds of minutes.

I mean Barrie is producing at twice the rate Klef was with similar assignment. Playing with the same identical players.

Lets remember this was Barries first season here, a portion of his season was still adapting to schemes, players, and he still put up what he did. He might be better in 2nd season here.
Don't forget Klefbom's patented telegraph exactly who you were passing it too. I love Klef but his shift position completely before passing was brutal.

Bouchard in his limited play is already miles better on the powerplay than Klef. He is so sneaky and deceptive with his passing and shot.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think it was a smart move. Hopefully Cici has grown through his errors with his experience and can replace Bear. Move Bouchard up and keep Barrie. Larson was out of our control and Holland did the best he could under the situation.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
People seem to parallel Barrie and Bouchard. I haven't seen much of Bouchard other than highlights of the Knights, WrldJR and watching all Oiler games but I feel they are totally different players. They both put up points but Barrie is more mobile, spastic and plays like a rover where Bouchard is more calm and collected. He controls the play and moves the puck so well it should overshadow any physical shortcomings of a complete all round #1. I'm really excited to see him this year and with Barrie and Cici handling the heavy load we can work in Bouchard without throwing him into the fire. Hmm what a concept. Holland should be commended (and condemned) for his patience.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It seems that he has had a bit of a rough start to the season. He is a new dad which as any parents out there should know it is a big transition and sleep goes the way of the Dodo bird. He also started pretty slowly last season IIRC. If the plan is to keep Barrie around for the duration of his contract, we need to find him a steady D partner if Bouch will be playing up with Nurse from here on out. I am glad that Holland didn't open the vault and make Barrie unmovable in the event that he struggles longer term.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It seems that he has had a bit of a rough start to the season. He is a new dad which as any parents out there should know it is a big transition and sleep goes the way of the Dodo bird. He also started pretty slowly last season IIRC. If the plan is to keep Barrie around for the duration of his contract, we need to find him a steady D partner if Bouch will be playing up with Nurse from here on out. I am glad that Holland didn't open the vault and make Barrie unmovable in the event that he struggles longer term.

I'm thinking he'll be moved this offseason to clear cap space for Puljujarvi. If not, next offseason at the latest. We'll need to make room for Bouchard and Puljujarvi's next contracts.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->