Value of: Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would love the Canucks to try to trade for him with a reasonable extension, but more so just to re-unite 2/3rds of That 70's Line with Pearson/Horvat/Toffoli

I can imagine a conditional pick being part of a Toffoli return. He’s obviously worth a late 1st if a team gets to sign him under their terms.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Toffoli is a good player. He's just not a great player... and he's streaky. He'll be hot like he is now and then disappear for a month. It's been especially like that since "that 70s line" was broken up a few years ago. He just hasn't seemed to fit since then. Age-wise and skill-wise, he should fit, as tomd has said. There's just something off and it's hard to see him being a big part of the rebuild.

He's not a 25-30 goal scorer. He once hit 30, but he also hit only 13 last season. He's no more a 30-goal scorer than a 13-goal scorer. Throw those out and you see that he's a consistent 20-25 goal scorer (if healthy). That's pretty good, but not too hard to replace. LA needs those goals, but at what cost, $6M/year on his next contract? They could easily put one of their prospects in his spot and get half of that production for only $1M, with the possibility of all of that production in a season or two. It's just doesn't make a lot of sense to re-sign him.

On top of those issues (the lack of fit and the lack of sense in re-signing him), it just feels like the perfect time to trade him, with him being on fire right now, the trade market not being very good (especially for RWs) and the upcoming draft being so deep. That's why I think that there isn't much sadness and aren't many calls for re-signing him from Kings fans and why, instead, there's this eagerness to see what they can get for him. He's a good, well-liked player, but trading him just makes too much sense.

Edit: While I was typing all of that, he was traded. Hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad