Value of: Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Snarky tonight, aren't we? And yes, the 27 year-old version of Toffoli is demonstrably worse than the 22 year-old version. I don't even know how you can argue otherwise. And I don't care where a team is in their rebuild, if you have a valuable 27 year-old player you try to keep him...especially when that player is going to be replaced by the likes of Matt Luff. And that goes double if the best they can get for Toffoli is a late 2nd and a B prospect.

I don't know how you can argue for your side.

22 year old toffoli had 22 goals and 49 points.
27 year old toffoli is on pace for 25 goals and 48 points on a much worse team while getting the team's hardest defensive minutes next to Kopitar.
Please, explain how he's 'demonstrably worse,' we're all ears for your expertise that no one has.

Next, you go on and complain that the Kings and Kings fans aren't trying to keep him. How hypocritical is that? You can't have your cake and eat it too. Besides, I thought I made it very simple for you...he's an asset that can return good assets that fit the timetable of the rebuild. I like Toffoli. I'd bring him back if the price were right. But the fact is he's one of our few moveable parts on a team that needs to make some moves. I think the floor is set at late 2nd and B prospect, yes. I wouldn't be thrilled with that, but it's better than losing him for nothing. You forgot that option in your usual binary is/isn't rant--we don't trade him or keep him because it turns out teams like 25/50 players. In fact, if he weren't a King, I doubt you'd be dinging his value--the wingers in his neighborhood this year are Thomas, Rakell, Gusev, Kapanen, Silfverberg.

You were horribly wrong about Muzzin. You will be horribly wrong again here.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can't help you there, you keep on this late 2nd and B prospect......I'm mostly positive that it's going to be a late 1st plus.....that might be the difference, you have no idea what it takes to score in the NHL.....I do.

LOL...I'm going to wager that we've both scored the same number of goals in the NHL.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
LOL...I'm going to wager that we've both scored the same number of goals in the NHL.

Absolutely, and i'd double that wager to say that you have no idea how tough it is to score in the NHL.....hell, I'd triple it, you have CLEARLY demonstrated that you have no idea how tough it is.

You think Toffoli is going to get a late 2nd and B prospect, that clearly demonstrates you don't value goal scoring......

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know how you can argue for your side.

22 year old toffoli had 22 goals and 49 points.
27 year old toffoli is on pace for 25 goals and 48 points on a much worse team while getting the team's hardest defensive minutes next to Kopitar.
Please, explain how he's 'demonstrably worse,' we're all ears for your expertise that no one has.

Next, you go on and complain that the Kings and Kings fans aren't trying to keep him. How hypocritical is that? You can't have your cake and eat it too. Besides, I thought I made it very simple for you...he's an asset that can return good assets that fit the timetable of the rebuild. I like Toffoli. I'd bring him back if the price were right. But the fact is he's one of our few moveable parts on a team that needs to make some moves. I think the floor is set at late 2nd and B prospect, yes. I wouldn't be thrilled with that, but it's better than losing him for nothing. You forgot that option in your usual binary is/isn't rant--we don't trade him or keep him because it turns out teams like 25/50 players. In fact, if he weren't a King, I doubt you'd be dinging his value--the wingers in his neighborhood this year are Thomas, Rakell, Gusev, Kapanen, Silfverberg.

You were horribly wrong about Muzzin. You will be horribly wrong again here.

First, please don't start with your fantasy version of Muzzin. I always said it was likely he'd be traded if the Kings were headed towards a full rebuild. I didn't think a full rebuild was the best way to go but that's a different issue. In any event, the trade is still a question mark for LA and will be for another couple of years. Bjornfot has potential, Grundstrom has not really progressed this year, and Durzi is light years from the NHL. That's all we know right now.

Regarding Toffoli, you are a bit behind on this thread. If you are happy with a late 2nd and a B prospect then the discussion is over. We'll know in a week whether he stays or goes and what he returns if he goes. I'm just surprised that Kings fans don't want to keep someone they insist is a 25 goal scorer. Doesn't make sense to me but then I'm told that he doesn't fit into the next "window". I guess I'll just accept that answer.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Absolutely, and i'd double that wager to say that you have no idea how tough it is to score in the NHL.....hell, I'd triple it, you have CLEARLY demonstrated that you have no idea how tough it is.

You think Toffoli is going to get a late 2nd and B prospect, that clearly demonstrates you don't value goal scoring......

Wait...it isn't ME who thinks that...no one who gets paid to follow hockey seems to think that! I haven't read a single credible NHL "insider" who says that Toffoli will likely get a 1st. Plenty of Kings fans say (hope) it but that means absolutely zero. We'll know in a week.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You can always count on tomd to be in every kings trade thread. Are you trolling or do you actually hate them and think so little of Toffoli?
On our board people have agreed that a 2nd and b prospect would be disappointing. In the end you still could resign him and take a lowball offer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Wait...it isn't ME who thinks that...no one who gets paid to follow hockey seems to think that! I haven't read a single credible NHL "insider" who says that Toffoli will likely get a 1st. Plenty of Kings fans say (hope) it but that means absolutely zero. We'll know in a week.

No insider thought Paul Gaustaud would get a first, Blake Coleman would get a first, etc etc. The only reason I can possibly see Toffoli not getting a 1st, is the draft is supposedly extremely deep, so teams absolutely are going to be hesitant on trading a 1st.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No insider thought Paul Gaustaud would get a first, Blake Coleman would get a first, etc etc. The only reason I can possibly see Toffoli not getting a 1st, is the draft is supposedly extremely deep, so teams absolutely are going to be hesitant on trading a 1st.
Coleman came with term at a reasonable cap hit, that's the difference. Gaustad was always an outlier, even when he was traded because Nashville was desperate and genuinely thought that a good 4th line center would make a significant impact.

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
Toffoli was quoted very recently saying that he wants to stay. TM seems to want him to stay. Blake seems to have no interest in him staying.

It seems weird to me that if Toffoli wants to stay that fans wouldn’t want to keep him if he is still the player he was at 22. Imagine him next year with Vilardi or the year after with Turcotte. Yet I’ve not heard one Kings fan lobby to resign him instead of trade him. Why is that?

For the last 4 months Kings fans have heard there have been no contract talks and that Blake would be dealing him at the deadline. So, all season most Kings fans have been prepared to lose him, REGARDLESS if they want to keep him or not. At this point it's about properly managing assets.

I don't think any explanation would make you happy though because it's seems like your intention is to have everyone say..Oh yeah you're right Toffoli sucks because we're not crying about trading him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
First, please don't start with your fantasy version of Muzzin. I always said it was likely he'd be traded if the Kings were headed towards a full rebuild. I didn't think a full rebuild was the best way to go but that's a different issue. In any event, the trade is still a question mark for LA and will be for another couple of years. Bjornfot has potential, Grundstrom has not really progressed this year, and Durzi is light years from the NHL. That's all we know right now.

Regarding Toffoli, you are a bit behind on this thread. If you are happy with a late 2nd and a B prospect then the discussion is over. We'll know in a week whether he stays or goes and what he returns if he goes. I'm just surprised that Kings fans don't want to keep someone they insist is a 25 goal scorer. Doesn't make sense to me but then I'm told that he doesn't fit into the next "window". I guess I'll just accept that answer.

Ahh, the classic tomd goalposts moving. You're nothing if not predictable.

You said Muzzin wasn't anything but a depth dman and wouldn't ever return a 1st. Now you're backpedaling and trying to depreciate the assets that included a 1st+.

Also not surprisingly, you sidestepped the facts that struck down your assessment of Toffoli as "demonstrably worse" than 5 years ago.

You also have this fixation on replacing Toffoli with Matt Luff, which ignores....about 15 prospects ahead of Luff.

I should have known better than to think you were going to argue in good faith, but I figured new deadline, new chance. Shame on me I guess.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I’d love to get Toffoli on the Pens we would be unstoppable when Guentzel returns.

Zucker-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Toffoli

Yikes. But, being realistic it won’t happen so I digress. Pens don’t have a 1st or a 2nd this year. And they won’t part with Poulin for a rental.

2021 2nd and POJ is our best offer which is easily beaten I would guess.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I’d love to get Toffoli on the Pens we would be unstoppable when Guentzel returns.

Zucker-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Toffoli

Yikes. But, being realistic it won’t happen so I digress. Pens don’t have a 1st or a 2nd this year. And they won’t part with Poulin for a rental.

2021 2nd and POJ is our best offer which is easily beaten I would guess.

Not an awful offer, POJ is at least the right age group with plenty of potential that we should be looking at. Someone that could grow with next group pushing through.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Not an awful offer, POJ is at least the right age group with plenty of potential that we should be looking at. Someone that could grow with next group pushing through.
If LA doesn’t get a better offer then I hope our GM offers something along those lines.

I think the Kings could do better though. Maybe not a better prospect, but a 2021 2nd isn’t all that enticing.

member 96824

maybe you guys are getting Palmieri instead.

da316kc-78a5aafd-6870-41f8-b83c-2f5374a19a7d.jpg

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Would love the Canucks to try to trade for him with a reasonable extension, but more so just to re-unite 2/3rds of That 70's Line with Pearson/Horvat/Toffoli

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
For the last 4 months Kings fans have heard there have been no contract talks and that Blake would be dealing him at the deadline. So, all season most Kings fans have been prepared to lose him, REGARDLESS if they want to keep him or not. At this point it's about properly managing assets.

I don't think any explanation would make you happy though because it's seems like your intention is to have everyone say..Oh yeah you're right Toffoli sucks because we're not crying about trading him.

Tomd does not understand the concept, if Toffoli truly wants to be a King, he would be free to resign come July, I mean he goes on a business trip for a few months, plays on a cup contender and then returns. Win/Win for both the Kings and Toffoli.

If message boards were around back when the Kings acquired, Gretzky, Tomd would have said the Kings got bent over in the deal. Just how he rolls.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Someone who is lazy as **** and doesn’t give a crap. His compete level is on the lower end. I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole

He has 18 goals and 34 points. That’s Jake DeBrusk numbers, and he’s done that on an offensively challenged team. Those are top six offensive numbers on any team.

I’ll just chalk up your post as being one from a lazy, unmotivated poster who doesn’t know shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad