Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He was extremely noticeable last night yet had the least amount of ice time for forwards, making the most of his shifts. He also only has 3 points in the playoffs but seems like he has or set up so many more chances. Last night alone he nearly had that goal and he set Colton up right in front that should have been another.

Reactions: NatoGhost

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Live look at Tyler Johnson on line rushes this morning.

9ea089dd3161213268c5c0c72d7682f6.gif

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I was begging for TJ to be moved prior to Kuch going down. He’s a Center and still capable of being a difference maker.

He’s a center. Still a damn good one. Dominate as a 4C. A big part of the culture flip here.

Thanks TJ.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Still a good hockey player. Nothing has changed. Time for haters to admit they gave him way too much heat, but it'll never happen.

Outside of a handful of games all season, he has been perfectly fine. No longer a top end offensive threat but always hustles and plays responsibly. Nice to see him get some shine in the playoffs.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
If he has a big game 4 we might not even have to attach additional compensation to get Seattle to take him. Although at this point, if he's going to play like this going forward, I almost wouldn't mind him staying.

Reactions: Peacefool

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If he has a big game 4 we might not even have to attach additional compensation to get Seattle to take him. Although at this point, if he's going to play like this going forward, I almost wouldn't mind him staying.
As fun as it has been seeing Johnson back to being an effective player, you just can't take such a small sample size and choose to keep him based on that. Not after he has been more or less terrible for quite a while. I wish all the best for him and hope he can still play a lengthy NHL career, but moving him this summer is the only sensible option.

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
I have 2 nephews and for their generation TyJo was kinda their Marty St. Louis. It's sad that he's probably gone soon. He's a great person from all accounts, really gave us so many awesome moments. Yeah a lot of us here turned on him last year and I regret that considering how he carried himself through the good and the bad. We are very fortunate to have had him for as long as we did. He is one of the best Bolts of all time.

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Props to TJ, who’s been buzzing all playoffs back at center. I do believe his value has increased (or negative value decreased) with his playoff performance. That said, if it’s too expensive to move him he needs to play center next year. He looked good in the regular season as the 3C for a bit and I wouldn’t mind him in that role again if Seattle takes Guorde.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Still a good hockey player. Nothing has changed. Time for haters to admit they gave him way too much heat, but it'll never happen.

Outside of a handful of games all season, he has been perfectly fine. No longer a top end offensive threat but always hustles and plays responsibly. Nice to see him get some shine in the playoffs.

Yeah, there's a group of people here who love hot takes.

But I think the silent majority who were ready to move on from him were still justified. Those who love the guy for what he previously did for us, felt bad that JBB had to put him on waivers, always held out hope that he'd turn it around, but ultimately felt like it's time for TJ to go and agreed with JBB's moves (asking TJ to waive his NTC and then putting him on waivers) because we simply can't afford his lack of production at his cap hit -- I think those folks don't owe TJ an apology. And I think we can equally be excited for his recent success as the one or two people who were huge fans no matter what.

I wish that it had never come to this, and that he was still 2015 TJ, but even though he's playing better I don't think that guy's ever coming back.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Props to TJ, who’s been buzzing all playoffs back at center. I do believe his value has increased (or negative value decreased) with his playoff performance. That said, if it’s too expensive to move him he needs to play center next year. He looked good in the regular season as the 3C for a bit and I wouldn’t mind him in that role again if Seattle takes Guorde.
If it was possible, I would keep him in a heartbeat and let Palat go!

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If it was possible, I would keep him in a heartbeat and let Palat go!
I’d rather have Palat due to his shorter contract term and keeping the top line together. Just depends on how it all fits though. Again, I wonder what TJ looks like at 3C with say Goodrow and Joseph on his wing?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
He’s been solid but let’s not forget he’s also playing for his next gig, trying to show he still belongs in this league. Either way I won’t complain.

I mean his contract is in place. So while this is true it's not like a UFA playing for his big contract.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I don’t think he’s ready to go to Europe to play hockey or ride the bus in the A. NHL teams weren’t ready to pick him up for free so…

None of those are gonna be an outcome for TJ. He's a better hockey player than an AHLer would be, so he'll be in the NHL. The contract (or at at best, the buyout) is a sunk cost. He only got sent down in hopes that someone else wanted his contract (and later, for one game, for technical LTIR reasons).

There are three possibilities: 1) Tampa trades him to someone else who will pay him to play, 2) Tampa can't trade him and continues to pay him and play him, or 3) Tampa can't move him, buys him out, and some other NHL team signs him for much less than $4.5m to play for them.

(I suppose there's a 1a) where we trade him with retention but that feels really unlikely.)

In any case, Europe is definitely off the table, and the A just isn't worth it because all we'd do is save $1m of his cap hit while needing to replace him with a guy on a minimum contract (in other words, we'd be swapping TJ for some guy who would otherwise be in the AHL, all just to save $300k in cap space).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As fun as it has been seeing Johnson back to being an effective player, you just can't take such a small sample size and choose to keep him based on that. Not after he has been more or less terrible for quite a while. I wish all the best for him and hope he can still play a lengthy NHL career, but moving him this summer is the only sensible option.

It's more about the contract than the level of play anyway. Somebody making his amount of money has to leave. And then probably another somebody. He's just the odd man out.

I'm really enjoying this last chapter though. He seemed like the leader of the Yzerman era AHL kids, and it was Johnson's play that allowed us to trade Cory Conacher, which brought in Ben Bishop, which turned us into a legit contender. And now ending his time with us as one of our better players... It's just a much better story than if we'd shoved him away to whomever is willing to take him.

Funnily enough, our best three players in this final series have been the Triplets.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I have 2 nephews and for their generation TyJo was kinda their Marty St. Louis. It's sad that he's probably gone soon. He's a great person from all accounts, really gave us so many awesome moments. Yeah a lot of us here turned on him last year and I regret that considering how he carried himself through the good and the bad. We are very fortunate to have had him for as long as we did. He is one of the best Bolts of all time.
Brayden Point is the new MSL.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I don’t think he’s ready to go to Europe to play hockey or ride the bus in the A. NHL teams weren’t ready to pick him up for free so…

It wasn't that they weren't ready to pick him up for free, it was that he came with a $5M cap hit andfour years (at the time) left on his contract attached to that. Is he a $5M player? And especially when cap space is such a valuable commodity like it is right now with the flat cap. Teams were wise not to pick him up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So happy for him. Will miss him actually since he's come up with some big plays for this team. Sucks we will have to move on from some guys :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad