Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
so is the buy out more worth it to you then to add the assets to trade Johnson? While point may not cost as much as we thought? After the bridge deals for serge, cirell and cernak they will be getting raises. So your trading palat and killorn who is replacing there production also ?

Cirelli should make less not more he's overpaid right now.

Reactions: Byrddog and Outl4w

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Some things that may make a buyout a bit more realistic. Brayden Point is no longer the point per game player we thought he would be. He's still very good and our 1C but he was under last year and is under again this year. With the flat cap we may be able to get him cheaper, maybe 8M a year. Stamkos health will make it very hard for us to give him any significant money on his next deal if he makes it to that. His deal doesn't expire for 3 more years but those would be the extra Johnson years. So the 1.5M dead cap could be offset with Stamkos taking a super team friendly deal to finish out his career. Palat is tradeable this summer, Killorn is tradeable this summer, Gourde will be the summer Johnson jumps to 2.8M dead cap. We would need some prospects be ready to break out because that's a lot of firepower we may have to let walk.
Has his TOI dropped?

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
To me, being small in this league means you have to have speed to be effective and his speed has decreased to the point that he has become physically exposed. I don't have an answer to negate that problem other than a buyout.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
It always seem like it will happen but never does. He skates hard but just isn't what he uses to be. I would love for him to breakout again.

True. However, what we've witnessed previously and what I've seen building up that past 3 games, just seems like it's inching towards consistency. Almost. We sure could use some next-level consistency out of him for sure

Reactions: Peacefool

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I feel like he deserves a positive mention. He's been putting in a lot more effort into puck battles lately and set up the series winning goal, so props to Tyler for that.

He's even finishing his checks out there sometimes. He's definitely been working hard (skating fast) and looking better. Good on you TJ, keep it up!

Reactions: Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He’s been solid but let’s not forget he’s also playing for his next gig, trying to show he still belongs in this league. Either way I won’t complain.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's been a long time since we've seen him blow past defenders like this, I always suspected he had a lingering injury but he's not making brain dead plays either, his decision making is at another gear now too :dunno:

I think Cooper deserves some credit here, playing with Colton and Maroon looks to have been the thing to turn him into a funcitonal NHLer. Not worth his contract, but definitely a contributor.

Reactions: NatoGhost

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
With Johnson turning the clock back to 2015 we're officially rolling 4 lines now. If he keeps this up I don't know how the hell either Boston or NYI are going to stop us. Not saying they can't either. It's just that Johnson returning to form we haven't seen in years isn't going to make it easier for them

Reactions: NatoGhost

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Going to resurrect this. I know a lot of people are writing him off, however this playoffs he actually looks really f***ing good out there. Flashes of 2015 seem to happen every game. He's getting scoring chances, putting pressure on, using his speed. If Seattle takes him this season, they may get a top 6 forward out of him. He looks legit right now.

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
Yeah he's a puck hound again and a threat offensively. He's been dynamic taking chances that you only see from a very confident player.

His change in confidence I believe stems from playing with Maroon. I think Pat took him under his wing and made TyJo feel like he is on the ice with his big brother that is always there to lift him up and stick up for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad