Value of: Tyler Johnson to Calgary

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah sure, 2nd in the league in goals has a pressing need for offense, gotta get that #1 spot right?
As successful as they were last year, teams could shutdown the number 1 line and the 2nd line was on again/off again in terms of offence. The 3rd line was so-so again in terms of offence. The 4th line surprised with their output. Calgary has depth, yes, but still needs to upgrade its RW.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As successful as they were last year, teams could shutdown the number 1 line and the 2nd line was on again/off again in terms of offence. The 3rd line was so-so again in terms of offence. The 4th line surprised with their output. Calgary has depth, yes, but still needs to upgrade its RW.

Third line was turrible.
Here's how bad they were:

Most common 3rd line:
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal

5v5 - 6 goals forward, 10 against, 50% CF

Second most common 3rd line duo:
X - Jankowski - Neal <50% CF

5v5 - 3 goals forward, 5 against

Essentially 5v5 our third line was not only net negative, but overall no impact. Compare this to the other three lines:

Common:
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
52 GF - 34 Against, 54% CF

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
29 GF - 14 Against, 59% CF (wowzers)

Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway
15 GF - 2 Against, 54% CF

It's why Calgary's looking for another centre. The idea here is to push Backlund down a line, Jankowski out the door, out of the lineup, or on the 4th line instead of Garnet. Could you imagine if you could get a third line that scored more than 10 goals forward, and surrendered less than 15 :laugh:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah sure, 2nd in the league in goals has a pressing need for offense, gotta get that #1 spot right?

They were 2nd in the league in large part because of the great season that the top line had and Tkachuk. As we saw in the play-offs and at the end of the year if the top line goes down the 3M is not reliable enough to score to make up the gap.

So yes the team was good enough offensively to produce with everything firing but if they want to go further in the play-offs they should have a better option for the Tkachuk line than Backlund, especially with the defensive role Backlund is forced to play.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would do the Johnson for Brodie deal

But don't assume he would automatically solve the flames playoff scoring problem. He couldn't do it in Tampa what make one thinks he can do it in Calgary

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

But don't assume he would automatically solve the flames playoff scoring problem. He couldn't do it in Tampa what make one thinks he can do it in Calgary

He has been a better offensive player than Backlund his whole career so while he might not solve the Flames scoring problems it is hard to imagine they wouldn't be better set up with Tkachuk and Johnson playing together getting way more offensive zones starts than Tkachuk did last season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Johnson had a pretty miserable playoffs this year, but he does have a pretty strong record of producing in the playoffs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Johnson had a pretty miserable playoffs this year, but he does have a pretty strong record of producing in the playoffs.

I really don't think it's fair to score Tampa's playoffs this year. That was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.
TJ to Calgary, in a deal, for TJ with adds (for contract purposes) would be a huge win for Calgary.

I know Tyler's got some connections to Calgary, so... maybe he waives?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I really don't think it's fair to score Tampa's playoffs this year. That was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.
TJ to Calgary, in a deal, for TJ with adds (for contract purposes) would be a huge win for Calgary.

I know Tyler's got some connections to Calgary, so... maybe he waives?

Just curious, what kind of connections does he have? He grow up here, family perhaps?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
He won a championship with our head coach in the Dub.
He's also from Spokane I think, so Calgary is one of the closest major cities to his hometown, with a similar climate/population.
That being said, I don't think those ties mean much. Playing for Peters before probably weighs a lot more.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Is Tampa really that worried about players walking on them? 29 is not old for a d-man either. Hedman is 28 (only about 6 months older) and people are saying he's barely reached his prime, and may continue to get better.
Assuming Johnson would waive his no trade clause it would be an overpayment to get somebody with one year left on their contract before becoming a UFA. It is not as much a worry as it is about common sense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Assuming Johnson would waive his no trade clause it would be an overpayment to get somebody with one year left on their contract before becoming a UFA. It is not as much a worry as it is about common sense.

I mean, getting out of Johnson's 5 million this year, and having no cap towards 2020 would mean a lot.
It's not like some Vezina goalie or something needs to a new contract next year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Peters seems to love his versatile forwards. Can't Johnson play all three forward positions?

I could see there being something there around Brodie + for Johnson. Tampa's depth on the right side for their blueline is Jan Ruuta, Luke Schenn(yuck), Witkowski(double yuck), and Cernak who I like. Brodie would fit in there well, terrific skater who moves the puck and plays much better on the right side.
Hedman-Brodie or McDonagh-Brodie would be a great pairing.

Really don't know how substantial the + would be though, the Flames aren't really in a position to be trading any blue chips or marquee draft picks.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
I mean, getting out of Johnson's 5 million this year, and having no cap towards 2020 would mean a lot.
It's not like some Vezina goalie or something needs to a new contract next year.
The Lightning would be far better off getting the use of Johnson this year and letting the Seattle expansion draft take care of his contract next summer. For the coming season they need him more than any defenseman that your team would give up in trade

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The Lightning would be far better off getting the use of Johnson this year and letting the Seattle expansion draft take care of his contract next summer. For the coming season they need him more than any defenseman that your team would give up in trade
Expansion draft is two years from now, not next summer.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Peters seems to love his versatile forwards. Can't Johnson play all three forward positions?

I could see there being something there around Brodie + for Johnson. Tampa's depth on the right side for their blueline is Jan Ruuta, Luke Schenn(yuck), Witkowski(double yuck), and Cernak who I like. Brodie would fit in there well, terrific skater who moves the puck and plays much better on the right side.

Really don't know how substantial the + would be though, the Flames aren't really in a position to be trading any blue chips or marquee draft picks.
Sergachev prefers the right side--whether the coaching staff ultimately wants him there is another story.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Johnson
Masin
Tampa 2020 3rd

For

Brodie
Mangiapane

Ledge And Dairy

The add won't be too much, Tampa as too many big names to sign next year year and no room to do it, logically they will gladly take an expiring contract for one of their long term NTC ones (assuming they waive)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Half of Calgary is already borderline for rides at Disney.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

Huh? His production takes a substantial jump in the playoffs vs. the regular season.

He's at 0.65 P/G in the regular season, and 0.75 P/G in the playoffs with a large sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad