Value of: Tyler Johnson to Calgary

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Now Tampa did lose Stralman on the right side, so I'm curious if a Travis Hamonic or TJ Brodie swap could work between the two teams? Tampa already has Point-Stamkos down the middle, while the Flames can afford to lose a dman for a centre. Curious who adds or if Tampa fans are interested in a deal around one of these two players.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I hate to say it but Tyler Johnson doesn't seem like a fit for Calgary. He would fit on like most other teams and he might be an improvement over whatever the return is and he would fit well into their system but they don't need a skill increase, they need a 'skilled-grit' infusion. Price for price, he's probably not the piece calgary should chase.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I guess it's possible he would waive for Calgary, although I'd still think it unlikely. But probably a better chance, given his ties to the org. I think most TB fans would be willing to move him for a puck-moving righty.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Johnson, along with every other potentially expendable player on the team, has a no trade clause. Just don't see these Tampa guys waiving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Doubt they're looking for a 29 year old defenseman who is a UFA next year...which is probably why they've been linked to Ristolainen, who is much younger and has term on a good contract.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
We would have preferred Miller to be honest.

Not exactly the type of player we would be looking for

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I hate to say it but Tyler Johnson doesn't seem like a fit for Calgary. He would fit on like most other teams and he might be an improvement over whatever the return is and he would fit well into their system but they don't need a skill increase, they need a 'skilled-grit' infusion. Price for price, he's probably not the piece calgary should chase.

?

Am I missing the sarcasm here, Calgary definitely needs a skill infusion, a RHS that can play center or right wing is exactly what we need on our 2nd line.

As TB fans say it might not be a good fit in return for Brodie but Johnson fits what the Flames are looking for perfectly.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Doubt they're looking for a 29 year old defenseman who is a UFA next year...which is probably why they've been linked to Ristolainen, who is much younger and has term on a good contract.

Is Tampa really that worried about players walking on them? 29 is not old for a d-man either. Hedman is 28 (only about 6 months older) and people are saying he's barely reached his prime, and may continue to get better.

Reactions: Nanuuk

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Johnson isn’t the kind of player the Flames need right now, and they don’t need to be taking on more cap right now either.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tyler Johnson would be a great fit on the 2nd line.

If the Lightning don’t have interest in Brodie, a 3rd team should get involved to grab Brodie and send Tampa picks/prospects back.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Out of curiosity how much do you actually know about Johnson's game? Hes got a pretty good amount of grit. Hes that guy who gets into the corners or the front of the net for those rebounds and tip-ins. Grit doesn't mean size or body checks, its the measure of how much you are going to push and shove to win that puck battle or get those dirty goals/assists by fighting for rebounds. IMO he would be a fantastic add to Calgary and could likely waive for them since its close to home for him

Ledge And Dairy

The prime age for defense is significantly higher than it is for offense, you don't need to teach someone how to shoot a puck, defense is an adaptive role based around the other teams offensive levels. Look at Burns, he leads the league (top 5) in points for a defense man every year now. He didn't start peaking until about 6 years ago when he was... oh right 28. Look at Gio, career year at age 35. Brodie probably has another good 6 years in him if I had to guess and is one of the leagues best puck movers.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
IMO, that would actually probably be ideal for TB as far as the one year goes. They replace the 5 remaining years of TJ with an expiring contract, freeing up money next season for some important extensions.

Issue now is that TB is already in desperate need of a top 6 forward. Getting rid of TJ and not getting a top 6 forward in return makes the situation even worse.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Out of curiosity how much do you actually know about Johnson's game? Hes got a pretty good amount of grit. Hes that guy who gets into the corners or the front of the net for those rebounds and tip-ins. Grit doesn't mean size or body checks, its the measure of how much you are going to push and shove to win that puck battle or get those dirty goals/assists by fighting for rebounds. IMO he would be a fantastic add to Calgary and could likely waive for them since its close to home for him

Looking at it 1-for-1, adding Tyler Johnson would be a good fit. Considering the cost to get him versus change to the team is what I'm thinking about.

I'm skirting around saying the word size because I'm not actually talking about size but 5 years ago I might have been. A cheaper option of what I'm talking about would have been Andrew Shaw who just went to the Hawks. Man that would have been exactly what the Flames needed.

Nobody is going to question that the Flames are a good team, depth issues sure, but they are good enough to do better than they did last year. Like Tampa though, I saw them as an easy team to play against (though Tampa has enough skill to overwhelm you and compensate for that... In theory).

I look at Calgary + Tyler Johnson - assets to get Tyler Johnson and I think, meh the team got better but they aren't winning more. I really like Tyler Johnson, as a Habs fan I'd kill to get him on the Habs, I just don't see him being the piece that would improve the flames. Absolutely though that wouldn't be true for most teams (Habs included)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
IMO, that would actually probably be ideal for TB as far as the one year goes. They replace the 5 remaining years of TJ with an expiring contract, freeing up money next season for some important extensions.

Issue now is that TB is already in desperate need of a top 6 forward. Getting rid of TJ and not getting a top 6 forward in return makes the situation even worse.

I know he is not a top 6 forward (but he's a middle 6) but what about Frolik? He would be a good fit on the Lightning. Can play both wings, PKs, can chip in points, gets in the dirty areas, and only has a year left on his contract. The 1 year contract is appealing to the Lightning so they can use that money for other re-signings in 2020.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
being too lazy to confirm but didn't Tampa put him on LTIR or something just a few weeks ago or I'm thinking someone else? Thanks in advance

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The Flames don't really need another smallish, but skilled player. They do need the offense though. I'd go for this trade.
Yeah sure, 2nd in the league in goals has a pressing need for offense, gotta get that #1 spot right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad