Value of: Tyler Johnson to Calgary

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Expansion draft is two years from now, not next summer.
You are right and I stand corrected. I don’t know if that would make any difference in a trade involving Tyler Johnson with his no trade clause and anyone Calgary might be prepared to give up for him

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
God no, Dube is 2C potential. More like Brodie + Jankowski, if Cirelli is stepping up to 2C with Stamkos on his wing like they did part of last season then they need a 3C

I don't think that's fair for both sides, Dube or Kylington I think would be a good add

Ledge And Dairy

I don't think that's fair for both sides, Dube or Kylington I think would be a good add
I think you are overvaluing Johnson and undervaluing how cap constrained Tampa is next year assuming Point signs for about 9M. Cirelli will probably have a breakout year this year and cost about 3-3.5M, Cernak will cost 2-3M, Sergachev will cost 3M, and Vasilevskiy will cost at least 8M (especially after the Bob signing in Florida, and Murray supposedly asking for 10).

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think you are overvaluing Johnson and undervaluing how cap constrained Tampa is next year assuming Point signs for about 9M. Cirelli will probably have a breakout year this year and cost about 3-3.5M, Cernak will cost 2-3M, Sergachev will cost 3M, and Vasilevskiy will cost at least 8M (especially after the Bob signing in Florida, and Murray supposedly asking for 10).

I try to offer fair value, do as you please though, you also don't see our cap restraint? Make allies not enemies.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I try to offer fair value, do as you please though, you also don't see our cap restraint? Make allies not enemies.

I think with Johnson we'd have an effective 2nd line of Chucky-Back-Johnson, with a third and fourth constructed of Bennett, Janks, Doc, Mang, Czarnik, Frolik/Neal(I want to move one this off-season), am I missing anyone?

Ledge And Dairy

I happen do be a fan of both teams (Flames my favorite western team, Bolts my favorite eastern) but I see your point, personally I feel like Brodie is the better player with more impact but will almost certainly not be resigned due to cap constraints. So maybe a condition on him like a 2021 2nd if he doesn't resign

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I happen do be a fan of both teams (Flames my favorite western team, Bolts my favorite eastern) but I see your point, personally I feel like Brodie is the better player with more impact but will almost certainly not be resigned due to cap constraints. So maybe a condition on him like a 2021 2nd if he doesn't resign

Well this is awkward because you're me, Flames my favorite and TB is a close 2nd/3rd with the Pens, so we both can show our values, I'd think about Johnson + 3rd 20(if Brodie resigns) for Brodie + Dube/Kylington + 3rd 20(if Brodie walks)
But I honestly think TB would try to get a prospect close to NHL ready in a Johnson deal.

Ledge And Dairy

Well this is awkward because you're me, Flames my favorite and TB is a close 2nd/3rd with the Pens, so we both can show our values, I'd think about Johnson + 3rd 20(if Brodie resigns) for Brodie + Dube/Kylington + 3rd 20(if Brodie walks)
But I honestly think TB would try to get a prospect close to NHL ready in a Johnson deal.
Kylinton probably isnt ideal for tampa as they already have sergachev (I even expect him to be traded next offseason). I think the Flames plan on making Dube their next 2C. So he might be pretty hard to acquire.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Kylinton probably isnt ideal for tampa as they already have sergachev (I even expect him to be traded next offseason). I think the Flames plan on making Dube their next 2C. So he might be pretty hard to acquire.

I don't think he will reach that potential (Dube), Im just trying to make the deal as even as possible and I think they'd prefer Dube over Kylington myself

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would love Tyler Johnson but I doubt Calgary have the pieces (that they are willing to give up) to get the deal done. Brodie alone doesn't seem like enough.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
God no, Dube is 2C potential. More like Brodie + Jankowski, if Cirelli is stepping up to 2C with Stamkos on his wing like they did part of last season then they need a 3C

I don't think that actually happened. Wouldn't mind seeing it happen this year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree he wouldn’t because he signed a sweetheart deal to play for a good team in a no state income tax state
Your probably looking at about $200k difference in income taxes paid. Florida has higher sales tax, and the low Canadian dollar means anyone getting paid on USD is doing very well.

The bigger factor would be whether or not he is willing to leave the team with the best odds of winning the cup, in Tampa.

I also don't see how he signed a sweetheart deal. 5 million seems pretty fair for when the contract was signed. He's an undersized player who totally puts up 50 points. It made sense for him to sign long term as he had trouble breaking into the NHL, after going undrafted.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Your probably looking at about $200k difference in income taxes paid. Florida has higher sales tax, and the low Canadian dollar means anyone getting paid on USD is doing very well.

The bigger factor would be whether or not he is willing to leave the team with the best odds of winning the cup, in Tampa.

I also don't see how he signed a sweetheart deal. 5 million seems pretty fair for when the contract was signed. He's an undersized player who totally puts up 50 points. It made sense for him to sign long term as he had trouble breaking into the NHL, after going undrafted.

I think the flaw in this line of thinking is it assumes players are spending their annual salary inside a year, wherever it is they're living. So things like the value of their money in any given moment isn't all that significant an issue. They can live wherever they want after they retire. The #1 thing is always how much actual dollars they can be paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad