Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Me screaming to other GM's about Johnson

FabulousBlaringJackal-small.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think that realistically, we need to operate under the assumption that one or both of Cirelli or Serge won't be with us next season.

The cap not raising was something no one could have planned for. Teams aren't as willing to take the extra cap because who knows what will even happen next year. There's only so much sweetener you can add before it becomes ridiculous and counterproductive. Like someone in the main thread suggesting it would take Cirelli to move TJ.

We're gonna have to pay to clean up the NTC mess in Tampa but as I said before, it is what it is. If people gotta go, they go. We got what we needed out of the core and adjustments need to be made. You want to keep the window open as long as possible but losing Serge or Cirelli or both doesn't close it.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I think that realistically, we need to operate under the assumption that one or both of Cirelli or Serge won't be with us next season.

The cap not raising was something no one could have planned for. Teams aren't as willing to take the extra cap because who knows what will even happen next year. There's only so much sweetener you can add before it becomes ridiculous and counterproductive. Like someone in the main thread suggesting it would take Cirelli to move TJ.

We're gonna have to pay to clean up the NTC mess in Tampa but as I said before, it is what it is. If people gotta go, they go. We got what we needed out of the core and adjustments need to be made. You want to keep the window open as long as possible but losing Serge or Cirelli or both doesn't close it.

It's not the NTC, it's the term. We offered to TJ to everyone, for free, and no one wants to take that contract. Same deal with Coburn, although TJ's contract at least made some sense (get him for cheaper by giving him term because he felt like a necessary piece at the time).

Agree we might have to lose Cirelli. That would suck, since he's key to our PK. Would be interesting to see what we could get for him, though. Could be a chance to restock the prospect pool while we cross our fingers that Johnson can pull a Palat.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
So much panic. Of course,we can lose some of RFA ,maybe not,maybe Gourde gets traded (pls nooooo) maybe not its not much we (fans) can do with it. But all this situation reminds me last years offseasson,when we needed to sign Point. After he wasn't signed 1st available day,it was panic all over forum "Point leaves,Point don't want to play here,We don't have enough money for him,Point won't sign bridge deal etcetera..." as far it got as frustrated many of fans were but at the end Point signed bridge deal everything went good for us and team. So ,probably some of us don't need to be frustrated at all this situation now? At the end everything will be just fine for us. But if not,we just need to accept that and move on :)

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I disagree that the window remains open, at least for very long, if we lose Cirelli and Sergachev. Sure Tampa will remain a contender for a few more seasons perhaps, but losing the rising 2C and the future top pairing dman closes that window a heck of a lot faster. The defense is already looking a bit weaker next season, and losing Sergachev is a large blow that Tampa has 0 chance of replacing for at least 3-5 years. If it costs next year's 1st or someone like Barre-Boulet to move Johnson, Brisebois needs to explore any option as neither of these pieces are better or likely to be better than either Cirelli or Serg. I still believe Johnson will get moved with either retention or a decent sweetener, and once some of the bigger F ufa's are signed(Hall, Toffoli, Dadonov, Hoffman), that a deal for Killorn will get done. Hopefully that will be enough to sign the rfa's and the low cost replacements for TJ and Killorn. After that, depending on what's left, JBB can try and sign someone like Rutta or another low cost RD maybe and 1 other low cost F.

Last edited:

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
No chance I am giving up a first rounder when who ever takes him is going to lose him to Seattle next year.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
need to move out other players before even considering doing it.
No, Johnson needs to go 1st, there will most likely be a better market(not great though) for Killorn and then try to unload Paquette probably. A 1st or any prospect not named Foote should be on the table for Johnson depending on how much Brisebois may be willing to retain. I'm guessing most teams that would be in on Killorn may be waiting to see what some of the bigger name ufa F's do before focusing on Killorn

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Killorn to Columbus for a 3rd in 21 and 22. They have Dubinsky going to LTIR so Killorn takes his spot and costs 1M less. Paquette to Montreal for a 4th in 21. They need a 4C and have cap to pay them 1.65M which we can't. Sign Sergachev to 4M, Cirelli 3.5M and Cernak 2.1M preferably all for 3 years to stretch the window while they're cheap but I doubt we can do that. So 1-3 years for them whichever length they want as long as they keep the price down. Call up Foote, sign Joseph and Volkov to 700k deals but keep Joseph in the minors to start the year.

That leaves us over the cap by about 2.2M. Trade Johnson at 50% retained with two 3rds to Buffalo for a 7th. That gets us under the cap by about 270k. We are running just a 20 man roster but have Joseph ready to come up once we get the space to do it. We can try to retain less on Johnson but I prefer we didn't give up a 1st, 2nd or good prospect. The 2.5M dead cap for 4 years isn't ideal but next summer we should be able to move out Palat and possibly Gourde with no real raises coming unless a Volkov, Joseph or Foote blow up. We would most likely have to let Coleman and Goodrow walk but Barre-Boulet, Katchouk and Raddysh should be ready to make an impact. We will be reliant on a ton of kids the next few years until Stamkos comes off the books. We are very top heavy with contracts so elc contracts and cheap vet deals will be all we do for awhile.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
well if they can’t move johnson there gonna have to try and move Palat or gourde along with killorn

I think we are going to have to pucker up and prepare ourselves for the loss of a RFA, there simply is no market for veteran guys with term. I just hope that JBB can get maximum return for our RFA's. Having said that, I'm very disappointed that moves weren't made in preparation at the draft, I think that was the best time to trade a Cirelli or Sergachev.

Our only other chance to come out of this in good shape is if our RFA's take a mega discount

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think we are going to have to pucker up and prepare ourselves for the loss of a RFA, there simply is no market for veteran guys with term. I just hope that JBB can get maximum return for our RFA's.

Our only other hope is if our RFA's take a mega discount

trade for Ryan Kesler and spend over the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad