Waived: Tyler Johnson provides trade list, clears waivers

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I’m of the mindset (probably because I grew up a Marlins fan) that once you win a championship, it’s all gravy for a good 4-5 years. I don’t care who’s on the team next year outside of the core, which to me is Hedman, Point and Kuch. Anyone else can go or stay. We’re still going to be in the playoffs off that core and once you get there, anything can happen.

I underestimated the market right now and it’s obvious to me we’re gonna have to pay through the nose to get rid of TJ or we’re gonna lose someone we don’t want to. Probably Serge because he’d bring a huge return that you could use to then move Johnson.

It is what it is. I’m just ready to get going on next season.

Reactions: Zwui21

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
From 5 to 8? What did he do add Vegas to the list twice or something? If there was a workable trade it would've happened by now. I really doubt JFBB is making it harder on himself than he needs to and is dragging his feet
Expanding his list after a bunch of teams addressed their needs. It is what it is.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I’m of the mindset (probably because I grew up a Marlins fan) that once you win a championship, it’s all gravy for a good 4-5 years. I don’t care who’s on the team next year outside of the core, which to me is Hedman, Point and Kuch. Anyone else can go or stay. We’re still going to be in the playoffs off that core and once you get there, anything can happen.

I underestimated the market right now and it’s obvious to me we’re gonna have to pay through the nose to get rid of TJ or we’re gonna lose someone we don’t want to. Probably Serge because he’d bring a huge return that you could use to then move Johnson.

It is what it is. I’m just ready to get going on next season.
I grew up a Lightning and Solar Bears fan and when they won, the league shut down. Both times.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Expanding his list after a bunch of teams addressed their needs. It is what it is.

I'm sympathetic to Johnson because no one wants to be traded. I really do get it. I hope he realizes the 2020 situation is bigger than him. Nevermind a flat cap. We've been palling around with the same 6 dudes on offense in Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Killorn and Paquette for 7 1/2 years now. The big discussion is always player loyalty. But I'll be damned if that isn't organizational loyalty. There was a great argument to move on from a lot of these guys as far back as when we lost to the Capitals and we STILL didn't do it.

Now that they're all champions, it really is time for player and organization to move on. It's no guarantee the Lightning will even remain successful. For all we know the future holds it where Johnson gets traded to the Avs and not only wins another Cup, but continues the sustained success he's used to while the Lightning re-tool. For that reason alone it shows how important change is for both player and team.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Canuck Fan here......congratulations on winning the cup

Just thinking there is an opportunity for us to up grade and help you out

So, I am think this..............

Johnson and Cal Foote
for
Kole Lind

If we can trade
Eriksson, Pearson and a 2022-1st
to one of Detroit/New Jersey/Ottawa
for a
2021 -2nd (maybe wishful thinking on the 2nd, but something?)

We are thinking Lind plays full time 3rd line RW for us within the next 2 seasons, but we have Virtanen there, as we think Podkolzin walks in and plays top 6 minutes within a short time........I would offer you Virtanen, but you guys can't afford anything. I think it's a better offer than you will get anywhere else. Maybe I am wrong!

I also think that is not a bad deal for Eriksson, as he is still a good defensive player, and Pearson scored 45 points last shortened season , playing 2nd line, and could be flipped for a good return at the TDL, if they don't want to re-sign him. Eriksson is only owed 5 Million over the next 2 years.

Lots of moving parts, but I think it is workable

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Johnson and Cal Foote
for
Kole Lind

If we can trade
for a

We are thinking Lind plays full time 3rd line RW for us within the next 2 seasons, but we have Virtanen there, as we think Podkolzin walks in and plays top 6 minutes within a short time........I would offer you Virtanen, but you guys can't afford anything. I think it's a better offer than you will get anywhere else. Maybe I am wrong!

I also think that is not a bad deal for Eriksson, as he is still a good defensive player, and Pearson scored 45 points last shortened season , playing 2nd line, and could be flipped for a good return at the TDL, if they don't want to re-sign him. Eriksson is only owed 5 Million over the next 2 years.

Thoughts?

100% wrong.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

Johnson and Cal Foote
for
Kole Lind

If we can trade
for a

Thoughts?

I think we don't want to trade Foote and I'm not too familar with Kole Lind but positionally a right shot D is much more of a need for us than RW.

That being said, its better than what some other people think we will pay to get rid of Tyler Johnson. I guess really only Julien Briesbois and his staff have a clue what it'll cost us or what we have to do...

So I cant say yes but it's not out of the question in my mind.

I think we will try to move a pick or another prospect rather than Foote. We don't know what we have in him yet for sure, but its just such a position of need.

Reactions: zcaptain

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I think we don't want to trade Foote and I'm not too familar with Kole Lind but positionally a right shot D is much more of a need for us than RW.

That being said, its better than what some other people think we will pay to get rid of Tyler Johnson. I guess really only Julien Briesbois and his staff have a clue what it'll cost us or what we have to do...

So I cant say yes but it's not out of the question in my mind.

I think we will try to move a pick or another prospect rather than Foote. We don't know what we have in him yet for sure, but its just such a position of need.

Thanks for your reply............I totally understand where you guys are coming from.......and this God darn Covid has changed so much.............I have posted a response in our Canuck.com Forums......and I will let you guys read it.
I think most other franchises see it the way I explained it.............please don't take it as an insult to you guys, it is just the reality.......so Read my next post for why I think you guys are going to have problems...unless the trading teams get what they want.....

Personally, I love Tampa and the way they play.....I think the Canucks are being built that way to some extent
Cheers

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
THIS IS MY POST IN THE CANUCK.COM FORUM....I THINK IT FITS

I am just going to say this about Tampa
They have less than 3 million bucks to sign 5 players
3 of which are due substantial raises
There are few teams that would want to take on their aging vets in general, because they have such long contracts
and most of the players that could make a difference have NTC or NMC's, which is the problem they have with Johnson
Not only that, but there are few teams that can actually take on their contracts because of their own caps being close to the Max or their internal caps
and Tampa does not want to take back salary
So, the reason they can not make the moves to free up cap is because they can't and do not have a willing trade partner at this time
Especially with solid UFA's still on the market and signing cheap, and other teams over the cap wanting to dump players as well.......aka NY Islanders, and our own Vancouver Canucks
So Tampa problems are many, and they have probably about ,,,,,,,,Sergachev @ 6 Million, Cirelli @ 5 Million and Cernak at probably around 3.5 million and that is "IF" they can
sign them for that, so by my count they are 14.5 Million - 2.8 Million current cap space = 11.7 Million short at best, and that is only 3 of the 5 they need to sign to get to the
23 man roster.......so you can add another 2 X $800,000 or added to the 11.7 + 1.6 = 13.3 Million dollars needed
So this is going to cost them players, prospects and draft picks to get out of this...........................does anyone think Stamkos is going to voluntarily retire or go on the LTIR?
I don't, because he still can play.......................so again Tampa will pay big for this one!
So yes, they need ELC's to put on their roster, but in my Opinion, it will not be the good ones, because they are the trading chips, and they don't have that many
Does Chatfield or Jasek move the needle on a Eriksson trade............not one bit!
Hence my.........low ball offer..........and I would gladly replace Foote with Cernak "IF" we could make it work...........we can't afford it

Sorry! The new reality!

Reactions: themelkman

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

There are few teams that would want to take on their aging vets in general, because they have such long contracts
and most of the players that could make a difference have NTC or NMC's, which is the problem they have with Johnson
Not only that, but there are few teams that can actually take on their contracts because of their own caps being close to the Max or their internal caps
So, the reason they can not make the moves to free up cap is because they can't and do not have a willing trade partner at this time
Especially with solid UFA's still on the market and signing cheap, and other teams over the cap wanting to dump players as well.......aka NY Islanders, and our own Vancouver Canucks
So Tampa problems are many, and they have probably about ,,,,,,,,Sergachev @ 6 Million, Cirelli @ 5 Million and Cernak at probably around 3.5 million and that is "IF" they can
sign them for that, so by my count they are 14.5 Million - 2.8 Million current cap space = 11.7 Million short at best, and that is only 3 of the 5 they need to sign to get to the
23 man roster.......so you can add another 2 X $800,000 or added to the 11.7 + 1.6 = 13.3 Million dollars needed
So this is going to cost them players, prospects and draft picks to get out of this...........................does anyone think Stamkos is going to voluntarily retire or go on the LTIR?
I don't, because he still can play.......................so again Tampa will pay big for this one!
So yes, they need ELC's to put on their roster, but in my Opinion, it will not be the good ones, because they are the trading chips, and they don't have that many
Does Chatfield or Jasek move the needle on a Eriksson trade............not one bit!
Hence my.........low ball offer..........and I would gladly replace Foote with Cernak "IF" we could make it work...........we can't afford it

Sorry! The new reality!
Sergy won't get 6, Cirelli won't get 5

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa

Sorry! The new reality!
That's a glass almost empty view. My slightly optimistic POV:
JBB is waiting on how Stamkos's 2nd core muscle surgery and rehab looks. If he goes LTIR most of the cap issues will gone,
The 2020-2021 season may well be cancelled. The US is reporting 150K positive tests, and 1200 deaths a day from Covid-19, and climbing.
Sergachev will get a $4.5m on a 2 or 3 year bridge deal , and Cernak around $2.5-3m bridge deal. That's the Bolts way; bridge-payday.
Killorn still has value at $4.5m. My guess is JBB is holding out for a 2nd.
Foote will not get traded. He is the only RHD prospect we have. We lost Bogosian and Shattenkirk as UFA on the right.
Cirreli will get traded for picks/prospects. Some of those picks/prospects will be used to move Johnson. If there is no 2020-2021 season, then Seattle could be a destination.
And finally, no one knows what the Bolts front office is doing. The NSA could learn from their secrecy.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Sergy won't get 6, Cirelli won't get 5
Sergi will not get 6 in Tampa right now but if there was any indication he was open to signing a offer sheet there are teams out there that would pay him that now with term as well. Cirelli same boat he could get 5 elsewhere but in Tampa he would be lucky to get 4. What Zcaptian said is pretty accurate any way you cut it to sign all three you have to move Johnson, Killer and probably Gourde as well just to have cap to sign those three and the rest of the RFA's. JBB has found it difficult to move just one of those contracts and to imagine he can move all three is well pie in the sky. The priority should be fill the blueline first.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Zcaptain the situation you describe we all know well. I dont think the numbers will be as high as you say for our RFAs but it's possible on the high end. Didnt McAvoy get 6m per on a long term deal? Sure some team could offer sheet him for that but were not offering him that on a short term bridge, especially not with the bargain covid contracts (that argument is used to lower the value of our players, but in my mind it goes both ways...lowers what you offer RFAs as well.

But yes moves will need to be made. I think 2 of TJ/Killer/Palat/Gourde need to go. Or one and an RFA although thats my 2nd choice. I dont think 3 of the 4 need to go.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for the peaceful responses guys.......its not nice when another fan base comes and says the sky is falling, hopefully it was respectful......cheers!

Anyways, I hope you are right. It is true, Tampa is a special place with no taxes, and covid has forces the signings down
to a manageable level........so maybe it is 2.5 million less, but that is still a lot f money.........10.8 million, if everything you guys point out, happens.

It will be interesting to see what happens

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for the peaceful responses guys.......its not nice when another fan base comes and says the sky is falling, hopefully it was respectful......cheers!

Anyways, I hope you are right. It is true, Tampa is a special place with no taxes, and covid has forces the signings down
to a manageable level........so maybe it is 2.5 million less, but that is still a lot f money.........10.8 million, if everything you guys point out, happens.

It will be interesting to see what happens

It will depend on a few things imo. How much do Serg, Cirelli, and Cernak want? Are they willing to take a sacrifice to stay in Tampa long term? What do the trades look like to clear space for tampa? Are they going to play next season? Is Stamkos going to play and be healthy?

I think it wouldn't shouldn't be surprising if they take less to stay in Tampa as that has happened before and can happen again. Think about it this way if winning is more important to them then if they take a sacrifice to take less to keep the band together they have opened their window for longer and they should still get paid after the bridge. Which is what has happened to our previous rfas and was a big reason why our team was so deep for the cup runs we have made.

For some reason other fans forget this every season and are always suggesting doom and gloom for us. Tampa will lose players regardless but if they keep their rfas and I think they will try their hardest to keep them, then they will be fine because likely moving out higher cost contracts to keep cost controlled players is a move most fans would applaud but we will have to see what the price is to move those guys. Another question that will need to be answered.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat (5.3) Point (6.75) Kucherov (9.5)
Killorn (4.45) Cirelli (1) Stamkos (8.5)
Coleman (1.8) Gourde (5.16) Johnson (5)
Maroon (900k) Stephens (737k) Goodrow (925k)
Volkov (700k)

Hedman (7.8) Foote (925k)
McDonagh (6.75) Cernak (900k)
Sergachev (1) Schenn (800k)
Coburn (1.7)

Vasilevskiy (9.5)
McElhinney (1.3)

Total cap of 81,479,166 with 20,834 in capspace. This is the way. Forget to mention that we just need to trade Paquette for a 5th round pick and that's the only deal we need to make.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Volkov (700k)

Coburn (1.7)

Vasilevskiy (9.5)
McElhinney (1.3)

Total cap of 81,479,166 with 20,834 in capspace. This is the way. Forget to mention that we just need to trade Paquette for a 5th round pick and that's the only deal we need to make.
Are you planning to sign the RFA's to two month deals or something?

Reactions: Peacefool

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Are you planning to sign the RFA's to two month deals or something?

Where are they getting 5M? How about 4 or even 3M? Certainly not in Tampa this offseason. We aren't trading multiple 1sts or our top prospects to dump Johnson. I haven't even heard if we are shopping Killorn. I just don't see us moving the cap to sign these guys for anything more than a low level deal. We have Hedman and McDonagh so we aren't screwed if we lose Sergachev. If we lose Cirelli we still have plenty of top 9 forwards left, we have Stamkos, Johnson and now Gourde who can play C.

There's not many teams left who have the capspace to sign these guys. We aren't screwed if we lose these guys as we have a strong team. We aren't going to trade half our future to free up space for these guys. If they really want to stay they'll have take a deal the team can offer which isn't much but it's still more than what they got last season. Lebanc scored 56 in 82 for a 0.68ppg, Cirelli had 44 in 68 for a 0.65ppg, he got 1M for one year. DeAngelo scored 30 in 61 for 0.49ppg, Sergachev score 34 in 70 for 0.49ppg and got 925k. Asking them to take the money I suggested isn't that far fetched.

Reactions: Peacefool

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Volkov (700k)

Coburn (1.7)

Vasilevskiy (9.5)
McElhinney (1.3)

I will guarantee you this

If Tampa offers these 3 - 1 Million each, you can expect the Agent to be contacting every GM in the league to get Offer sheets and they will sign...guaranteed

No way in hell!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad