Waived: Tyler Johnson provides trade list, clears waivers

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
The Dreger news is HUGE!!! Being able to off-load Johnson gives us maximum flexibility under the circumstances. Wow - I did not think he would be amenable to it.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
First step in the process. TJ class act as always

TyJo is my favourite player, so it's been tough to see him struggle this season and now most likely see him leave. With that said, moves must be made and the team comes first.

But one thing that cannot be questioned is his heart, even in a situation such as this he is willing to help out! (If this is true)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
TyJo - a true Lightning legend! He will always be remembered as one of the Triplets and one of our biggest playoff heroes!

Helping the team out, that gave him a chance to succeed and with which he reached the ultimate goal, in tough times like these - good move, class act!

:handclap:

And who knows, moving on to another team and getting another chance to play meaningful minutes might rejuvenate his career.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
IT IS HAPPENING!!!!
source.gif

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Player's don't want to go and the team needed to move contracts. Eventually something had to give.

Still need to move 1 more contract.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Player's don't want to go and the team needed to move contracts. Eventually something had to give.

Still need to move 1 more contract.
Yeah, but think about it, it makes sense for TyJo too: His full NTC protection is up next season and we could dump him wherever. Now at least he gets a say where he might end up.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Yeah, but think about it, it makes sense for TyJo too: His full NTC protection is up next season and we could dump him wherever. Now at least he gets a say where he might end up.
I agree with ya. I said the same thing in the other thread regarding going to a team that would protect him in the expansion draft.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Man I'm going to miss Johnson. His 2015 playoffs were really something special, and I still say we beat the Blackhawks if he doesn't break his wrist. Then he brought it again in 2016, going about a point per game, right?

I really wish we were in a position to hold on to him and see if he could turn it back around. I'd really love to see him contribute to a Cup win like he did to those near misses. But we just can't afford his contract, so getting rid of him is the right thing. And here he is again, doing right by the team by letting us trade him.

Lots of love for TyJo.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It’s gonna be a shame to see him go. He’s taken a lot of crap on this forum since injuries and age caused his play to decline but he’s been a huge part of this team for the last several years. With Stamkos a perennial no-show in the playoffs (whether he was injured or not) TJ stepped up and was effectively our 1C for a few deep playoff runs until Point came along and took over that role. Year after year he was second behind Kuch in playoff scoring and he’s only a year removed from leading the team in even strength goals in the regular season. And he’s always been nothing but class and a great member of the team and the community.

And while his departure (assuming it happens) will indeed be timely for resigning our young RFAs, I hope it will not be on bitter terms and that the team was respectful in asking him to agree to waive his well-earned NTC. Championships are great but loyalty means something too, and given how TJ exemplified loyalty to the organization and to the city I certainly hope the Lightning treated him in kind. I’d rather root for a mediocre but classy organization than a championship team that runs roughshod over its best people once they’ve outlived their usefulness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad