Tyler Bozak - Positive or Negative impact on the team?

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Positive. Best option reasonably available and although he doesn't capitalize on all of his chances occasionally does generate quality ones himself, wins faceoffs to establish offensive possession for the top line and has the potential to be solid defensively. He's not the greatest centre but he does the job well enough and the line produces at a high level with him present even though he isn't a major part of creating that production.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I like Bozak and I like what he brings to our PK. He's a great asset there.

That said, I do have an issue with him getting #1 powerplay time. Kadri should be on the #1 unit and honestly, Bolland would probably look better on the #2 unit as he has finishing ability.

My sentiments as well. I'm sure we'll see a change if Kadri improves on the dot.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Simple question, does have Bozak a positive influence to our team when he plays 20+ minutes or a a negative influence?

Edit: Read my second post for better understanding of the question.

The best people to ask would likely be actual hockey players. Try with Kessel, JVR and Lupul for starters. He also seems to play the PK quite well also.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
What have you done for me lately mentality. During the playoffs we were saying we can't win without this guy.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Would the team be better off with a #1 centre in his position? Of course. However as he seems to get along with everybody, how can he be considered in any way, shape or form a negative influence? I think you are asking one question and implying another.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Would the team be better off with a #1 centre in his position? Of course. However as he seems to get along with everybody, how can he be considered in any way, shape or form a negative influence? I think you are asking one question and implying another.

Exactly. Hard to single this guy out right now. He's not dangling through 3 guys to go bar down each game, but so what? We have bigger needs right now.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Positive, Kessel's future with the team would have been doubtful without Bozak here, on ice though hes an offensive black hole but he is still a useful player

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
bozak is great at one aspect, faceoffs, good at others like speed, defense and checking but only good...he offers his lineups barely anything and doesn't create much for them, average to below avg hands, puck handling, vision, and shot...thats why bozy is a great great 2nd-3rd line C...so put him there omg

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I like Bozak. He's not 1C material, but he is a decent player. Saves our ass in the shootout, too. However, he should never be on the PP over Kadri.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
he aint a elite team, deep playoff run team, stanley cup winning team etc...with bozy on ur top line anyways, so mind as well move him so ur team progresses

Ace88*

I like Bozak, but i dont think his impact on the game is negative or positive one way or the other. He doesn't actively harm the team, but the times when he should have an easy tap in or should have an easy play to make he gaffs up hard. But then he'll pull a clutch goal or win a shootout and it's like, he's back to neutral.

I dont mind having Bozak on the top line, but the single *moment* a better option becomes available (besides Kadri because it appears he isn't going to have an extended look with Kessel any time soon) if he isn't bumped down i'll be really pissed.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
i'd say mainly positive but he shouldn't be on the first line. he lacks hands and skill.

watching duchene tonight really shows you what we sorely need.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Anybody get the feeling that this result is not exactly what the OP was hoping for?

Lets cash in on a Leaf loss to further our agenda.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
He'd be positive in a 3rd line role, but he's been a drag on the first line for years . He does add a small amount of defence to what is a horribly irresponsibly unit though, what with Kessel on the wing.

All that being said, this is about as bad as it gets with Tyler. We've seen him play better before and it takes more than 4 games to suss out where these guys are.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Looking forward to a healthy lineup. At least then we will able to accurately guage our teams abilities.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The right answer is neutral.

He's not as great on faceoffs as everyone says he is (look at the stats), and he's good on breakaways, but unfortunately hockey isn't played on just faceoffs and breakaways. He's decent defensively, I suppose.

But:

Does he score goals for us? Nope.

Does he setup our star winger? Nope.

Does he have chemistry with our star winger? Nope. How many Kessel goals as he assisted on? Like 8 total over how many years?

Does he have creative hands? Barely

Does he have great vision to open up the ice? Nope

Does he have good passing ability to open up the D? Nope.

Does he offer you a good passing outlet on the power play? Nope.

Does he at least offer you a great slap shot on the power play? Nope.

Does he offer you a good wrist shot from the half wall on the power play? Nope.

Does he at least take up a strong position in front of the net and act as a screen on the power play? Nope.

Does he play with a physical edge? Nope.

Does he at least play with a nastiness that helps protect our star winger, or open up ice for him? Nope.

He still has value in the lineup, but hopefully the above list goes to show you that he's an extremely average, limited player that doesn't offer anything that a Jay McClement doesn't already offer you.

The top scorer in the National Hockey League right now, is Alex Ovechkin with 6 goals. It's not an over-exaggeration by any means to state that Tyler Bozak should be leading the NHL in goals right now. He's missed SO many GREAT opportunities that it's actually kind of embarrassing that he's on the goals tally that he's currently on.

Last edited:

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Negative influence in the role he's been given. Were he a 3rd to 2nd line center it would likely be more positive.

He's not very good.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Basically take Bozak off of our 8 million dollar a year winger;s line who was top 10 scoring with Bozak in the middle 2 years running, with the hopes of someone else doing a better job? :laugh:

Biggest myth in leafs land is Bozak gets Kessel those points. Fact check: He doesn't.

I proved that a few months ago. Bozak hadn't registered points on most of Kessel's scoring plays.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
Biggest myth in leafs land is Bozak gets Kessel those points. Fact check: He doesn't.

I proved that a few months ago. Bozak hadn't registered points on most of Kessel's scoring plays.

he still generates a good amount of chances for what he's being paid. His strongest asset will always be his defensive play.

I really don't think there are any better options out there available on the market, so bozak is probably our best shot at a homegrown #1 C unless kadri elevates his game to become more of a complete player.

That being said, i think he has a positive impact on the team. Buys into the system, plays responsible, can take important offensive draws, has chemistry with the best player on our team, and comes at a reasonable cap hit.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Positive. He's very "meh" offensively, but he's good defensively, makes smart plays at both ends of the ice, is a true/natural centre who gets all the nuances of the position, wins faceoffs, is good on the PK, etc. His offence may be 3rd line level, but he does everything else well. He's not a #1 C, but he's one of 3 pretty solid centres that we have (Bozak, Kadri and Bolland), and he definitely helps us win games. He would be a good #3 C on virtually any team, and a solid #2 C on some teams. He shouldn't be a #1 C, but him playing higher in the lineup than he should doesn't make him a bad player, it's just a weakness of our team that we don't have a legit #1 C (until Kadri grows into the role, at least).

Obviously we'd be a better team if we could replace Bozak with a better centre (Stastny?), but we're still a better team with Bozak in the lineup than out of the lineup. I would like to see Kadri get more shifts with Kessel, and more shifts on the 1st PP, but that's not Bozak's fault, and it doesn't make him a bad player.

Last edited:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Positive, AINEC.

Let's for the sake or argument assume that a Gardiner+Finn+? for Stastny trade occurs and it seems like we have too many centers. I would not lose any sleep over moving Bolland to the wing and going with a Bolland - Bozak - Kulemin 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad