Tyler Bozak - Positive or Negative impact on the team?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I love him when I see the box score for face-offs, with the exception of last night where he got destroyed.

I hate him when watching the games. Especially when he ruins every scoring chance in which he gets to take the shot ( IF he even takes the shot, he usually can't even control the pass)

Penalty Kill Icing*

Then why spend more than we have to?
Kessel is fine with him there, he penalty kills, wins faceoffs, etc. Wheres the problem? We're not losing games because we cant score.

What are you talking about? We just lost a game because we couldn't score. :huh:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
What are you talking about? We just lost a game because we couldn't score. :huh:

To be fair, last night could have easily been a shutout.

Second goal was a circus act from Ranger. Gardiner then decided it would be wise to go down before he even hit the face-off dot. It was dreadful to watch.

The first goal....mannnn who would think Sarich would have sniped the toppest of the top corners. I can understand why Bernier cheated a little to get ready for a pass.

The Ranger-Gardiner pairing cost us a point last night. Even Kostka looked better than Ranger last season. :help:

Penalty Kill Icing*

out of how many games? Four? How many games have we had trouble scoring in out of the four?
Where did we finish offensively last year again?

Yup, last night's game was the norm, not the exception, youre right.

We lost 1 game so far. And the only game we lost was because we couldn't score.

We have good forward depth. When fully healthy, we all know who is the weak link in top-6. When the roster is decapitated, you count on your best forwards to produce. But you can't when you have an anchor holding them down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Really hard to understand why some are so hung up on Bozak playing with Kessel and JVR.

Whether it is Kessel/Lupul or Kessel/JVR. Kessel has been a PPG player with us the past 2 seasons and one that many would consider an elite player with Bozak as his pivot.

The negative Bozak crowd are forgetting we operating in a cap world.

It is simply impossible to ice a team of allstars in a cap system, assuming a #1C is 6M+ per conservatively under the current conditions.

So I ask the Bozak naysayers which area of the team do they want to weaken just so an already PPG Kessel, a career years JVR(pace last season) and Lupul get their #1 elite C. Are we prepared to be a one line team and trade Lupul or not re-sign Bolland to make room for this player?

Are we prepared to have Phaneuf back?

Let's be realistic here.

Penalty Kill Icing*

To be fair, last night could have easily been a shutout.

Second goal was a circus act from Ranger. Gardiner then decided it would be wise to go down before he even hit the face-off dot. It was dreadful to watch.

The first goal....mannnn who would think Sarich would have sniped the toppest of the top corners. I can understand why Bernier cheated a little to get ready for a pass.

The Ranger-Gardiner pairing cost us a point last night. Even Kostka looked better than Ranger last season. :help:

I agree. Defense was questionable last night. But we all agree that scoring 1 goal won't win you many games.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
We lost 1 game so far. And the only game we lost was because we couldn't score.

We have good forward depth. When fully healthy, we all know who is the weak link in top-6. When the roster is decapitated, you count on your best forwards to produce. But you can't when you have an anchor holding them down.

Yup, one of four so far. In the other three we averaged what again? Four goals per game?

Last season? 3.02 per game? 6th in the NHL? Again, that one game is the norm though.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Yup, one of four so far. In the other three we averaged what again? Four goals per game?

Last season? 3.02 per game? 6th in the NHL? Again, that one game is the norm though.

No need to get so defensive. You said we weren't losing because of not scoring goals, and I just proved otherwise. Calm down.

You know what is the norm though? Bozak missing point blank chances night in night out. :naughty:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Should Bozak be a 20+ minute player with nothing else considered (cap, current roster, etc)

That's the question

IMO its an easy no

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bozak's not all that great but how can you call him a negative influence? Would the Leafs suddenly better if they scratched him and replaced him with Spencer Abbott? Or double shifted some other guy? :laugh:

Yes, yes they would, double shift Kadri

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
No need to get so defensive. You said we weren't losing because of not scoring goals, and I just proved otherwise. Calm down.

You know what is the norm though? Bozak missing point blank chances night in night out. :naughty:

Yes, you've proven that one game in four, our entire team will shut down. Good job. Using your proof, we should trade Kessel now as he obviously has no offence :sarcasm:

Back to the task at hand. Our first line is fine. This has been well established.

leafstilldeath*

I think he is the ONLY player who hasn't been demoted from the 1st line (Kessel line) in his entire tenure as a Leafs head coach for Carlyle. Where is the accountability that you preach Mr Carlyle?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yup! Hypocrisy at its finest. I just dont get it what the **** does bozo has to do with any offence on that line. Bozo is getting paid that money because of Kessel. Wouldnt be surprised if bozo bamed his first born phil or amanda.

McClement and bozo have similar skill set and McClement is more of a need than bozo the clown ob this team yet that POS makes more. And plays like a scrub continuously wighout any accountability.

Bizak has got a horse shoe up his ass. Ant believe how lucky he has been. **** you Nonis for resigning thatscrub

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Really hard to understand why some are so hung up on Bozak playing with Kessel and JVR.

Whether it is Kessel/Lupul or Kessel/JVR. Kessel has been a PPG player with us the past 2 seasons and one that many would consider an elite player with Bozak as his pivot.

The negative Bozak crowd are forgetting we operating in a cap world.

So I ask the Bozak naysayers which area of the team do they want to weaken just so an already PPG Kessel, a career years JVR(pace last season) and Lupul get their #1 elite C. Are we prepared to be a one line team and trade Lupul or not re-sign Bolland to make room for this player?

Are we prepared to have Phaneuf back?

Wrong - it's the Pro-Bozak camp that are forgetting that we live in a cap world.

Let's go ahead and be realistic, as your post suggests that we should:

90% of the current Bozak bashers, would be totally content with having Bozak on this team so long as his cap hit was significantly less. He has qualities. So does Jay McClement.

The difference is how much they are paid. Bozak is extremely overpaid for being an average NHLer. He gets paid like someone who should be offering more than just faceoffs and the occasional breakaway goal.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Didn't say he had nothing to do with it. The other poster was insuating that Bozak was somehow the main reason for Kessels, JVRs and Lupuls great seasons.

Nope, never said that at all. Please quote that, and I will own it. Suggesting Bozak is the main reason for the success of Phil/JVR and Lupul is just as ridiculous as saying he had nothing to do with it. I am begining to wonder if people are chirping about Bozak, just to compalin. He clearly is not a prototypical 1st line center, however, he has chemistry with his linemates, is good defensively, and the Leafs best forward seems to play very well with him. Lacking a 1st line center is not what is holding this team back, having a Duchesne would be fantastic, but until then, Bozak is hardly hurting the team and getting the job done for the most part.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nope, never said that at all. Please quote that, and I will own it. Suggesting Bozak is the main reason for the success of Phil/JVR and Lupul is just as ridiculous as saying he had nothing to do with it. I am begining to wonder if people are chirping about Bozak, just to compalin. He clearly is not a prototypical 1st line center, however, he has chemistry with his linemates, is good defensively, and the Leafs best forward seems to play very well with him. Lacking a 1st line center is not what is holding this team back, having a Duchesne would be fantastic, but until then, Bozak is hardly hurting the team and getting the job done for the most part.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Define chemistry!?!?! What chemistry! He has no chemistry?

How many chances does Tyler Bozak create for Kessel and JvR over the course of 90 minutes?

How many assists?

They. Have. No. Chemistry. At. All.

Also on the 2nd bolded part;

Phil Kessel played well with Joey Crabb as his center.................

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

How many chances does Tyler Bozak create for Kessel and JvR over the course of 90 minutes?

How many assists?

Its really cant be any crystal clear than it already is.

-Kessel top 10 scoring 2 years running with Bozak in the middle
-JVR best PPG and stats thus far in his career with Bozak in the middle
-Lupul had a career year with Bozak in the middle

Are you suggesting there was no chemistry there and Bozak had nothing to do with the successes of all three players? Not a trick question here, just so you know?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

How many assists?

Define 'creating chances'. Are you including winning faceoffs to give us possession? Are you including takeaways? Hits creating room? A play may end with a goal, but it doesn't start there.

As for the last part, I am absolutely sure that Phil Kessel would play great no matter who he's with, but that doesn't mean that they would play well there. Bozak brings much to this team you refuse to even contemplate.

We'll have to agree to disagree on his worth. As a Bozak fan myself, I consider myself lucky that our coach sees what I do and that our GM managed to get him signed to a hell of a good contract. We have a top scoring number one line signed next year for 17M between the three of them ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad