Tyler Bozak - Positive or Negative impact on the team?

member 147413

Simple question, does have Bozak a positive influence to our team when he plays 20+ minutes or a a negative influence?

Edit: Read my second post for better understanding of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Negative influence.

i have tried my best to not always be judgemental and blame things on him. But I can't help it, whenever I see him I feel angry.

Bozo the Clown indeed, what a ****ing scrub of a player.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Negative influence.

I like to compare rosters to what the "average" SC winning team has at various roster positions.

In saying that, you can be below average in some areas, but above average (relative to SC winning rosters, NOT relative to the average team in the league) in other areas, and remain competitive.

But Bozak is FAR below the average for #1 C on a SC calibre team. Far below. Definitely a negative.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
He's been pretty bad this season (especially with fumbled passes and missed chances). I liked his game last season and he seemed like a good fit for Carlyle's system, but he's been disappointing so far.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Negative.

He certainly can't provide offense. No debate on that. And he can't play defense too. Career minus player. Every season.

Ideally, he shouldn't have influence on the game; but when he plays 23 minutes in a game, he will indeed have negative influence.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Hey I don't like Bozak but it's not like without him we magically become better. I just hate that Carlyle thinks that Bozak and Kessel will magically explode if not kept within 10 feet of one another.

Our team would be better suited to either Kadri or Bolland being number 1/2 center with Bozak playing number 3.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I'd rather have Kadri as #1C, Bolland as #2 C and Bozak as #3C.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bozak's not all that great but how can you call him a negative influence? Would the Leafs suddenly better if they scratched him and replaced him with Spencer Abbott? Or double shifted some other guy? :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bozak's not all that great but how can you call him a negative influence? Would the Leafs suddenly better if they scratched him and replaced him with Spencer Abbott? Or double shifted some other guy? :laugh:

of course, duh.

but in all seriousness, I never undrstand the threads like this because it's all "well is he negative/positive." but you guys aren't even offeriing any other kind/type of solutions. as Stephen and others pointed out, if you take him out - it's not like we're the best team on the planet prepared to go 81-1.

Bozak's not playing well, I'll admit,but as I commented in the GDT/PGT, the entire team looks like they are a step or two behind.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I don't see what the problem with Bozak is. He is the de facto number one we need, obviously not the one we want. Kadri or Bolland are just as if not more out of place in that role.

leafstilldeath*

In the role this team uses Bozak often i.e. 1C and 1PP unit NEGATIVE

facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Well Bozak was out of the lineup for Game 7 against Boston and look what happened there...

member 147413

of course, duh.

but in all seriousness, I never undrstand the threads like this because it's all "well is he negative/positive." but you guys aren't even offeriing any other kind/type of solutions. as Stephen and others pointed out, if you take him out - it's not like we're the best team on the planet prepared to go 81-1.

Bozak's not playing well, I'll admit,but as I commented in the GDT/PGT, the entire team looks like they are a step or two behind.

You're both misunderstanding the question, this is as much a criticism on Bozak as it is Carlyle. It's not whether the team is better without Bozak, but rather if the team is better if other players take some of his time.

Basically are we using our players as efficiently as possible?

I'm glad we're 3-1 but we are quite lucky to be 3-1, we have not had one good game yet and honestly I'm concerned by how it will effect us later on in the season. We have been lucky and i would rather we acknowledge our weaknesses before they become problems.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Well Bozak was out of the lineup for Game 7 against Boston and look what happened there...

FWIW, Kadri was Kessel's center when Leafs scored 4th goal. Kessel -> Kadri -> GOAL.

I can see that one missing the net in some another certain scenario. :naughty: ;)

So let us not play what if games.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
Frustrating to watch. I know it's not on him to be a 1st line centre, but man does he flub up the chances Kessel, JVR, Lupul create.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Evidence is quite clear, since RC has played Bozak 20 mins per game and more than any other fwd on our team, The Leafs have been a playoff team.

And we all know Winning is the king of all stats.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

I know, somehow we generated 4 goals against Boston in a single game. I guess when you don't have a pylon playing 25mins a game with your best player on the 1st line, things happen.

And stop kidding yourself bozak would of gotten shredded by Bergeron on the faceoff dot and killed defensively.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I like Bozak and I like what he brings to our PK. He's a great asset there.

That said, I do have an issue with him getting #1 powerplay time. Kadri should be on the #1 unit and honestly, Bolland would probably look better on the #2 unit as he has finishing ability.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
For the time on ice Carlyle uses him for, I'd say negative.
BUT if he was given just 5 minutes less per game in more defensive situations, he'd be great. It's up to Carlyle to use him to his strengths and wake up and realize he has minimal offensive and power play value.

Mr Scarface*

Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad