Tyler Bozak - Positive or Negative impact on the team?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I know it doesn't exactly look great on paper, but I think what's best is the team is to swap Bolland and Bozak. I think Bolland is the best centre on the team right now and face-offs or no, Kadri should be number two with Bozak taking up two way duties on the third line.

JVR - Bolland - Kessel (Bolland has been the best centre on the team by some margin)
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson (Kadri's hands will heat up)
Raymond - Bozak - Kulemin (Bozey will do so much better here right now)
McLaren - McClement - Orr (I actually miss this line)
Bodie/Ashton

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
FWIW, Kadri was Kessel's center when Leafs scored 4th goal. Kessel -> Kadri -> GOAL.

I can see that one missing the net in some another certain scenario. :naughty: ;)

So let us not play what if games.

You should also tell him that he wasn't in the line-up for games 5 & 6, 2 of the lowest scoring games which we won.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Basically take Bozak off of our 8 million dollar a year winger;s line who was top 10 scoring with Bozak in the middle 2 years running, with the hopes of someone else doing a better job? :laugh:

Yeah, those seasons were all because of Bozak and not because of Kessel's elite talent that also makes others look much better. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe Bozak was a main reason for that.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Mb8Q4sc.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why is a guy that wanted to play in Toronto, both as a college free agent, and then as a UFA, that could have took more money elsewhere is hated by some fans here?

Here's a guy that played very hurt the entire playoffs, when his shoulder muscle was torn, and was sorely missed closing out the series. This would qualify him into warrior status if his number was not #42.

If this is not evidence he is a positive influence on the team, not sure what he has to do to prove it.

Bozak has demonstrated he bleeds blue and white all his career. Most appreciate that.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yeah, those seasons were all because of Bozak and not because of Kessel's elite talent that also makes others look much better. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe Bozak was a main reason for that.

You're kidding yourself if you think he had nothing to do with them.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Biggest myth in leafs land is Bozak gets Kessel those points. Fact check: He doesn't.

I proved that a few months ago. Bozak hadn't registered points on most of Kessel's scoring plays.
Why does everyone think that's what he's saying? Nobody has EVER said Bozak gets Kessel the points. I'm also pretty sure you know this.

However, you cannot argue that Kessel has been VERY productive with Bozak there. Our top line is one of the most productive in the NHL. We should break that up because you don't like our Center? For whatever reason? Does that really sound like smart hockey to you?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Carlyle seriously needs to get Mr.Stonehands away from the Kessel line and put Kadri in there. Kadri would have had 3 more goals on the season if he was there instead.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Why does everyone think that's what he's saying? Nobody has EVER said Bozak gets Kessel the points. I'm also pretty sure you know this.

However, you cannot argue that Kessel has been VERY productive with Bozak there. Our top line is one of the most productive in the NHL. We should break that up because you don't like our Center? For whatever reason? Does that really sound like smart hockey to you?

Kessel has been productive regardless of who he has been paired with. And even stats back this up. Bozak doesn't have anything to do it. Bozak's chemistry with Kessel is one of the biggest myth on Leafs board.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why is a guy that wanted to play in Toronto, both as a college free agent, and then as a UFA, that could have took more money elsewhere is hated by some fans here?

Here's a guy that played very hurt the entire playoffs, when his shoulder muscle was torn, and was sorely missed closing out the series. This would qualify him into warrior status if his number was not #42.

If this is not evidence he is a positive influence on the team, not sure what he has to do to prove it.

Bozak has demonstrated he bleeds blue and white all his career. Most appreciate that.

I fail to see ANYONE questioning his work ethic, ambition, heart, and desire to win, so highlighting them is rather pointless.

He's an extremely limited player. For me, he and Jay McClement offer much of the same things.

*Good at faceoffs

*Strong off the puck

*Combative in the corners

*Chip in offensively when they can.

Those 2 players are at very opposite ends of the team's pay spectrum.

I think it's OK to admit that a player has some influence on the team, while acknowledging that he's overpaid. Too many people are trying to make this a black & white scenario;

""He's overpaid and not a 1st line center = Therefore he's useless" ... probably isn't true.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Kessel has been productive regardless of who he has been paired with. And even stats back this up. Bozak doesn't have anything to do it. Bozak's chemistry with Kessel is one of the biggest myth on Leafs board.
Who said anything about chemistry?
Has our first line been a concern AT ALL with Bozak there? Or have they been one of the most productive?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Who said anything about chemistry?
Has our first line been a concern AT ALL with Bozak there? Or have they been one of the most productive?

Our 1st line is productive despite of Bozak, not because of Bozak.

Right now, the way it is, that line will not produce even if one of Kessel/JvR has an off game (like last night), because Bozak is nowhere to be seen in the picture. It is like 2 guys are combining for the points and third is floating around. When one of the better 2 stops producing, that line shuts down for good.

See the problem there?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:+

Why more people don't recognize this is beyond me.

SERIOUSLY - How many goals has Bozak assisted on for Kessel as the primary assist?

I'm sure it's less than 10. In how many years/games playing with him, AND with him on the powerplay?

As for those saying "our first line isn't a concern with Bozak there" - Phil Kessel currently is close to a PPG player. Imagine having a half competent center that could get him the puck every now and again in good position, AND score from some of the chances that Phil creates himself.

You don't think that would benefit this season!?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Right now, the way it is, that line will not produce even if one of Kessel/JvR has an off game (like last night), because Bozak is nowhere to be seen in the picture. It is like 2 guys are combining for the points and third is floating around. When one of the better 2 stops producing, that line shuts down for good.

See the problem there?

...but at least he wins faceoffs... :facepalm:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Bozak is a fringe 2nd line player, playing 1st line minutes
not sure how that can be viewed as a positive

that's not even a knock on Bozak

Penalty Kill Icing*

I think he is the ONLY player who hasn't been demoted from the 1st line (Kessel line) in his entire tenure as a Leafs head coach for Carlyle. Where is the accountability that you preach Mr Carlyle?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

See the problem there?

You see, that's what we call an opinion. You have one, I have one, and everybody here has one.

Again I ask, has the first line been a problem, or are they one of the more productive lines in the NHL?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You see, that's what we call an opinion. You have one, I have one, and everybody here has one.

Again I ask, has the first line been a problem, or are they one of the more productive lines in the NHL?

First - I highly doubt they are one of the most productive lines, but I don't have those stats with me.

Second - Any line that has Phil Kessel on it will be significantly padded statistically in much the same way an Ovechkin line, or a Crosby line etc., would be. Sometimes it's irrelevant who some of these players play with; they will keep on putting up points. That's not because of their linemates but their skill.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:+

Why more people don't recognize this is beyond me.

SERIOUSLY - How many goals has Bozak assisted on for Kessel as the primary assist?

I'm sure it's less than 10. In how many years/games playing with him, AND with him on the powerplay?

As for those saying "our first line isn't a concern with Bozak there" - Phil Kessel currently is close to a PPG player. Imagine having a half competent center that could get him the puck every now and again in good position, AND score from some of the chances that Phil creates himself.

You don't think that would benefit this season!?

We don't need three PPG players on our top line however, and we don't have the cap space even if you believe we did. Neither you nor I can state with certainty what Kessel would do with another center

Kessel IS a PPG player. OUr top line IS NOT a concern at all. Bozak is just fine there and only costs us 4.25 per instead of the 7-8 per an elite C would.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I fail to see ANYONE questioning his work ethic, ambition, heart, and desire to win, so highlighting them is rather pointless.

He's an extremely limited player. For me, he and Jay McClement offer much of the same things.

*Good at faceoffs

*Strong off the puck

*Combative in the corners

*Chip in offensively when they can.

Those 2 players are at very opposite ends of the team's pay spectrum.

I think it's OK to admit that a player has some influence on the team, while acknowledging that he's overpaid. Too many people are trying to make this a black & white scenario;

""He's overpaid and not a 1st line center = Therefore he's useless" ... probably isn't true.

Bozak Being a better offensive Mcclement is a compliment in my books. I love Mcclement and what he brings to our team.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
First - I highly doubt they are one of the most productive lines, but I don't have those stats with me.

Second - Any line that has Phil Kessel on it will be significantly padded statistically in much the same way an Ovechkin line, or a Crosby line etc., would be. Sometimes it's irrelevant who some of these players play with; they will keep on putting up points. That's not because of their linemates but their skill.

Then why spend more than we have to?
Kessel is fine with him there, he penalty kills, wins faceoffs, etc. Wheres the problem? We're not losing games because we cant score.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
For his Leafs career, Kessel has scored 1.28 goals per 60 minutes when playing with Bozak, and 0.95 goals per 60 minutes without Bozak. That's just a fact. Total point production is about the same.

Bozak, on the other hand, basically gets twice as many goals and points with Kessel on the ice than when he's playing without Kessel.

This is not a symbiotic relationship. Kessel scores more goals with Bozak than without him. Bozak without Kessel is a trainwreck.

Penalty Kill Icing*

We don't need three PPG players on our top line however, and we don't have the cap space even if you believe we did. Neither you nor I can state with certainty what Kessel would do with another center

Kessel IS a PPG player. OUr top line IS NOT a concern at all. Bozak is just fine there and only costs us 4.25 per instead of the 7-8 per an elite C would.

Yes, it is a concern. As I said countless times, it just needs one of JvR/Kessel to have an off-game for that line to stop producing. Last game was a classic example.

With forwards injured/suspended, we need goals and we can't win by scoring 1 goal a game. This is the time when you put Kadri's creativity along with Kessel and Bozak's game honestly is more suited for 3rd line role.

Carlyle would mix and match the lines all the time. Multiple times during the game. But he won't separate Kessel and Bozak, even when neither produces. It is almost laughable for a guy who preaches accountability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad