Tyler Bozak Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love Bozak. He's fast, great on the PK and shootout, solid defensively, hits and isn't intimidated by bigger players and can chip in a little offensively. Finding a player who's better than this guy offensively is easy; finding one that plays the other parts as well as he does is costly. Plus he's the opposite of a locker room cancer, being best buddies with (arguably) the team's most shiest player.

Hopefully, someone like Raymond can fill in his PP duties.

Another great post.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Bozak is Matt Stajan version 2.0 only not as good. On a true contender he's a 3C making $2.5 mil per season. He's not great at faceoffs (52.6% last season, ranked about 66th in the NHL among centres) and just because he gets PK time doesn't mean he's great at that either. He doesn't do anything well. He's just kinda...well, there. The WOWYs show that every winger on the Leafs was more productive with Kadri or Grabo at centre. And he makes $4.2 per season? Insane.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Bozak is Matt Stajan version 2.0 only not as good. On a true contender he's a 3C making $2.5 mil per season. He's not great at faceoffs (52.6% last season, ranked about 66th in the NHL among centres) and just because he gets PK time doesn't mean he's great at that either. He doesn't do anything well. He's just kinda...well, there. The WOWYs show that every winger on the Leafs was more productive with Kadri or Grabo at centre. And he makes $4.2 per season? Insane.

Stopped reading at the first sentence.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Stopped reading at the first sentence.

And I didn't mean Matt Stajan present day, I meant Stajan during his days with the Leafs when he had seasons like this:

2008-09 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 76 15 40 55 54 -4
2009-10 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 55 16 25 41 30 -3

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Sorry but can you break this down for me because I can't understand. What does individual winger point production have to do with winning in the playoffs?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Based on recent UFA signings, a centre with Bozak's production comes in right in the wheelhouse of $4.2M.

Player | Ppg (last 2 seasons) | Salary
Scott Hartnell | 0.69 | $4.75M
Michael Cammalleri | 0.66 | $6.0M
Tomas Plekanec | 0.66 | $5.0M
Mike Fisher | 0.65 | $4.2M
David Backes | 0.63 | $4.25M
Jiri Hudler | 0.63 | $4.0M
Tyler Bozak | 0.63 | $4.2M
Ryan Malone | 0.61 | $4.5M
Alexandre Burrows | 0.60 | $4.5M

Welcome to unrestricted free agency.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Bozak, I hate to see him on the PP after the puck drops or trying to make a passing play. But no one more reliable in a shootout or on a breakaway. Somehow he becomes infinitely better when there are no other players around but the goalie.

Still you figure the faceoff % and the reliability on the PK, and that it probably didn't hurt in keeping Kessel around and the cost really isn't too bad. Would still prefer someone more skillful on the top line, but oh well.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Based on recent UFA signings, a centre with Bozak's production comes in right in the wheelhouse of $4.2M.

Player | Ppg (last 2 seasons) | Salary
Scott Hartnell | 0.69 | $4.75M
Michael Cammalleri | 0.66 | $6.0M
Tomas Plekanec | 0.66 | $5.0M
Mike Fisher | 0.65 | $4.2M
David Backes | 0.63 | $4.25M
Jiri Hudler | 0.63 | $4.0M
Tyler Bozak | 0.63 | $4.2M
Ryan Malone | 0.61 | $4.5M
Alexandre Burrows | 0.60 | $4.5M

Welcome to unrestricted free agency.

And what an impressive list of players that is! Yeesh. I'd rather have (yes, this again) kept Grabovski.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Sorry but can you break this down for me because I can't understand. What does individual winger point production have to do with winning in the playoffs?

What's not to understand? Our players score more goals playing without Bozak than with Bozak. Scoring goals assists in winning games, whether regular season or playoffs. What is your point? If you want to go micro-micro-micro sample size, the Leafs won game 6 without Bozak and should have won game 7 without him too if not for an epic collapse of collapses. Are you suggesting that Bozak was the difference between winning and losing game 7?

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Wow, is this thread serious?

Mike Richards has never had stable line-mates since he became a King until they acquired Jeff Carter. He was usually skating around with god-like players such as Gagne, Stoll and Penner and had to face most teams top lines in a defensive role.

If Richards got to play with Kessel and JVR on our top line there would be no comparison to make. Mike Richards was, and always will be 100x the player Bozak is. The only reason this comparison can even be made right now is because of ONE bad year for Richards in which he also suffered a concussion. It's laughable that this thread relies on this one bad year to validate it's claim.

Two 30 goal seasons at an age Bozak was still figuring stuff out, a stanley cup under his belt in 2012, a game-changer during his stint in Philly and former selke nominee.....please stop embarrassing yourself.

Bozak is a face-off beast and provides us with some good assets, but he shouldn't be on our first line or first PP unit.

I guess my disclaimer flew right over your head. I blatantly stated that I do not think Bozak is as good as Mike Richards.

My point was that for all the crap Bozak takes for his offensive output, he has out-produced Richards over the last 2 years. I would also be willing to bet he out-produces Richards AGAIN this year.

I have a question for you and all the Bozak haters...

If he scored 60 points this year, will you guys give him any credit?

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Sample size is everything. He won the 2nd most faceoffs in the NHL last year, and took the 2nd most as well. Among the top 30 face-off takers, Bozak ranked 11th. Among the top 10 faceoff takers, Bozak ranks 4th.

He is better than Matt Stajan at every aspect of the game.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

The fact that all you consider when discussing a players faceoff skill is the FO% is laughable.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
What's not to understand? Our players score more goals playing without Bozak than with Bozak. Scoring goals assists in winning games, whether regular season or playoffs. What is your point? If you want to go micro-micro-micro sample size, the Leafs won game 6 without Bozak and should have won game 7 without him too if not for an epic collapse of collapses. Are you suggesting that Bozak was the difference between winning and losing game 7?
What in suggestions is that regular season goal and assist totals mean nothing in the playoffs. Bozak has intangibles that help that line run that grabo can not do, apparently a players point per game is more important than chhemistry..... Intangibles win play off games not regular season individual success.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I guess my disclaimer flew right over your head. I blatantly stated that I do not think Bozak is as good as Mike Richards.

My point was that for all the crap Bozak takes for his offensive output, he has out-produced Richards over the last 2 years. I would also be willing to bet he out-produces Richards AGAIN this year.

No, there would be no credit. All we would hear is how how can't break 70pts with "2PPG wingers". When in reality, its two 50pt players (JVR and TB) paired with a PPG winger; PK.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Yes. I will be the first one to do it.

But I also remember that Bozak hasn't had 50 points in NHL season yet. And Bozak isn't a prospect that you expect him to increase his output. At age 27, you pretty much peak out for a C position.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

But I also remember that Bozak hasn't had 50 points in NHL season yet. And Bozak isn't a prospect that you expect him to increase his output. At age 27, you pretty much peak out for a C position.

Is that peak out at 27 a fact or opinion?

Last edited:

SteveV*

Bozak is light years better than Stajan! Hate the guy if you want but let's not be ridiculous :)

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

He's a late blooming UFA out of NCAA. This is only his 4th year. Another UFA out of college, Martin St.Louis didn't break out until he was 27 years old. Bozak will probably never come close to St.Louis ceiling offensively, but this just shows that some players are late bloomers and can still improve later in their 20s.

Kyle Doobas*

Bozak is Matt Stajan version 2.0 only not as good.
Hey Wheels, I was just wondering if I could get your opinion on which ways you think Bozak and Stajan are similar and maybe some ways in which they're different? Why isn't Bozak as good?

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Bozak is light years better than Stajan! Hate the guy if you want but let's not be ridiculous :)

I think he's comparing him to the Stajan we had, not the one Calgary had. 55 pts in 76 games and 41 points in 55 games (.72 and .75 PPG respectively) is better than any season Bozak has had (best is .64 PPG, not counting the 27pts in 37 games as that's hardly a fair sample size)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad