Tyler Bozak Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
One more thing:

Let us ask ourselves one question:

If Bozak burries the chances he got yesterday at least one chance he shoots in the empty net do we go to overtime and then shootout giving Sens our divisional rival competing for the playoff spot an extra point?
If Bozak buries half of his chances from Kessel or JVR how many overtimes or losses do we avoid last season?

ROFL. Nice spin. Man, if only Reimer didn't stink it up, we wouldn't have given our divisional rival an extra point.

If Bozak could reliably bury those chances, he wouldn't be a $4M player.

leafstilldeath*

ROFL. Nice spin. Man, if only Reimer didn't stink it up, we wouldn't have given our divisional rival an extra point.

If Bozak could reliably bury those chances, he wouldn't be a $4M player.

:facepalm:

I would rather pay Bozak more and him bury those chances than pay him 4 mil for sucking. No more mediocrity after almost 10 seasons of being a joke in NHL

Reimer was at the mercy of our bad defensive game yesterday. Franson was the main culprit for most of the goals. Also, Spezza's goal, your hero Bozak couldn't handle the puck FYI

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
:facepalm:

I would rather pay Bozak more and him bury those chances than pay him 4 mil for sucking. No more mediocrity after almost 10 seasons of being a joke in NHL

Reimer was at the mercy of our bad defensive game yesterday. Franson was the main culprit for most of the goals. Also, Spezza's goal, your hero Bozak couldn't handle the puck FYI

Bernier was at the mercy of the same sucky D to start the season as Reimer was, yet he performed admirably. If I wanted to find scapegoats to pin giving up a point to the Sens, Bozak wouldn't even be in my top 5.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People probably wouldnt have as much of a problem with Bozak if he wasnt getting so much undeserved PP time over more skilled players. Let me ask you honestly: when was the last time you recall Bozak making something happen himself on the PP? Has he ever done something on the man advantage good enough to stick in one's memory?

That's kind of a weird question to ask. I'm not a Bozak fan really so I don't want to get too deep into this, but when does any player ever need to make something happen by themselves on a power play? You have a man advantage and you score as a unit playing together...

Kyle Doobas*

I would rather pay Bozak more and him bury those chances than pay him 4 mil for sucking.
So the difference between him being a good player and completely sucking is not flubbing on a few gimmies and scoring maybe an extra 10 points on the year?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
That's kind of a weird question to ask. I'm not a Bozak fan really so I don't want to get too deep into this, but when does any player ever need to make something happen by themselves on a power play? You have a man advantage and you score as a unit playing together...

Successful PP shifts still come down to individual plays when you break it down. A good move to shake some pressure, a crisp pass just hard enough, a perfectly timed screen, a strong finish.

When does Bozak do any of those things? He treats the puck like it might bite him. He makes the easiest, most obvious past as quickly as he can as if he wants no responsibility. He's rarely the one to finish a play even if it's a tap in to a wide open net. I don't know if I've ever seen him take a one-timer. Likewise I don't think I've ever seen him make a creative pass or a strong move with the puck to create an opportunity.

leafstilldeath*

Bernier was at the mercy of the same sucky D to start the season as Reimer was, yet he performed admirably. If I wanted to find scapegoats to pin giving up a point to the Sens, Bozak wouldn't even be in my top 5.

That just says that Bernier is on his game more than Reimer at present (quite possibly better than Reimer altogether). Bozak sucking has nothing to do with our goalies.

If you take a large sample and compute the number of times Bozak has whiffed on a great set up by Kessel or JVR/Lupul and we lost or the game went to over time its a pretty obvious why Bozak shouldn't be centering Kessel or playing the no1 PP unit

leafstilldeath*

So the difference between him being a good player and completely sucking is not flubbing on a few gimmies and scoring maybe an extra 10 points on the year?

extra 10 points could mean the difference between we making the playoffs or finishing 9-11 place, having an easier opponent than drawing Boston or for that matter even winning against someone like Bruins.

Bozak sucks as a top 6 player he will be a good bottom 6 player especially on a checking role. His lack of offense is what makes him a plug on a line with Kessel and no 1 PP unit.

For years we complained we do not have elite winger to play with Sundin we are facing the same senario where we do not have elite or a decent top 6 forward to play with Kessel.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Good hockey players aren't complete passengers on their line. Good hockey players aren't completely dependent on their linemates for personal success. Good hockey players can carry a play or start a play themselves. Good hockey players can create scoring chances or open up opportunities for their linemates to score. Bozak doesn't make his linemates better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That just says that Bernier is on his game more than Reimer at present (quite possibly better than Reimer altogether). Bozak sucking has nothing to do with our goalies.

If you take a large sample and compute the number of times Bozak has whiffed on a great set up by Kessel or JVR/Lupul and we lost or the game went to over time its a pretty obvious why Bozak shouldn't be centering Kessel or playing the no1 PP unit

Nothing like Anecdotal evidence, Kessel has whiffed on Bozak passes mind you. Bozak doesn't suck, its somewhat disappointing that some of our fans continue to push this inaccuracy.

If you want to be selective, there is no guarantee we win last night without Bozak taking a hit to set Kessel away to set up the tying goal. Nor do we win in a shootout, if not for our best shootout player scoring on it.

Easy to concentrate on one whiff, and miss 2 vital contributions huh?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good hockey players aren't complete passengers on their line. Good hockey players aren't completely dependent on their linemates for personal success. Good hockey players can carry a play or start a play themselves. Good hockey players can create scoring chances or open up opportunities for their linemates to score. Bozak doesn't make his linemates better.

Even the Blackhawks #1 line does not have 3 guys that what I would term in the class of JVR and Kessel.

The days of the Triple Crown line have long passed. There is nothing wrong with having a player like Bozak on the first line if you see what he brings to it. He does his job, is paid only 4.2 and JVR and Kessel continue to bring 1st class offence with Bozak as a member of the line.

JVR was recently interviewed and was asked about Bozak and gave him glowing praise. We know Kessel's feeling of playing with Bozie.

They have never called Bozak a passenger. Infact they have said he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
When bozie goes to the second line when kadri is ready he will be a good fit at fair value.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Even the Blackhawks #1 line does not have 3 guys that what I would term in the class of JVR and Kessel.

The days of the Triple Crown line have long passed. There is nothing wrong with having a player like Bozak on the first line if you see what he brings to it. He does his job, is paid only 4.2 and JVR and Kessel continue to bring 1st class offence with Bozak as a member of the line.

JVR was recently interviewed and was asked about Bozak and gave him glowing praise. We know Kessel's feeling of playing with Bozie.

They have never called Bozak a passenger. Infact they have said he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

No player is going to toss their teammate under the bus. I fully expect everyone to give a glowing review of one another in the locker room regardless of how good the player is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Going through the PGT and seeing all the unfair criticism he takes is ridiculous. Granted, he is not this team's long term solution at #1C, and everyone knows that, and he is not getting paid like a #1C, he's getting #2 money. In the long run, as soon as Kadri gets better in the dot, Bozak will slot perfectly into the 2C spot and still be a great asset to this team.

I just want to get this point across to show his value to this team:

Let's look at a top 6 C who plays with GREAT wingers on a GREAT team, and is almost universally loved and praised, Mike Richards. Since joining the LA Kings, these are his stats:

124 GP 30 G 46 A (0.61 PPG)

A reminder of Bozak of the last 2 years:

122 GP 31 G 46 A (0.63 PPG)

Also last year, Tyler Bozak took the 2nd most faceoffs in the NHL and had a 52.6%. Richards took the 81st most faceoffs and won 49% of them.

Tyler Bozak spent an average of 1:38 min/G on the PK. Richards spent 1:17.

And to those who argue Bozak spends way more time on the PP... not really, he spent an average of 2:58 min/G last year compared to Richards' 2:37.

Now I am not saying Bozak is better than Richards, but just trying to put things into perspective. At what point do all you haters give Bozak some respect?

When he manages to put up 50+ points playing with quality wingers. I know I know I'LL get the points aren't everything line save it I get it. But when a guy can't put up 50+ points playing with Kessel/Lupul then later Kessel and JVR what does that tell you?

you'd think he could do it ONCE it shouldn't be hard given his line mates

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ok so we are discussing how Bozak stinks 90% of the time right up until you want to turn off the tv or scream, the he does one or two things well and has managed to skate by doing this for years, somehow.

It amazes me how much praise the guy does get. Rather see Kadri and Bolland in the top 6

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Ok so we are discussing how Bozak stinks 90% of the time right up until you want to turn off the tv or scream, the he does one or two things well and has managed to skate by doing this for years, somehow.

It amazes me how much praise the guy does get.

you just miss your buddy grabo, its ok, go cheer for may ray now

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
bozak is playing on the top line... he plays on the PP... he plays on the PK... he takes a lot of faceoffs.... he plays in a shutdown role. (and he's our best shootout guy)

i like bozak, and i'm very glad he's on our team... but i think carlyle is over-using him a bit. i think he should be played on the 3rd line and the PK... that way he can focus on playing a shutdown role... and i think he'll be better offensively too if he plays fewer minutes.

because right now, he's always just passing to kessel because I don't think he can focus on being an offensive threat while trying to do all of these other things too.

bozak is playing an average of 21:20 per game so far. the only forward who plays more so far is kessel with 22:00. and kessel's minutes are much easier to play, since he's not often back-checking or getting in the corners... he likes to skate around in the open ice which is much easier than playing your minutes on the PK and stuff like that.

it's good that kessel is playing that much, cause he's our best player.... but guys like lupul are only playing 17:11.... kadri, raymond and bolland are all under 16 minutes. and i like bozak, but he's not one of our better forwards... so he shouldn't be playing the second most minutes.

so i think that's gotta change.

if we expect bozak to play well on the 1st line... we can't have him also playing in all of these other roles. so i think we should take him off the first line... lower his minutes... have guys like bolland, kadri and lupul play a little more... and then use bozak where he's most effective on the PK, and in a shutdown role. and if he's playing on a 3rd line with maybe raymond and kulemin... i think he'll be much better offensively too. cause if you have the option to pass to kessel... it's probably a good decision to get him the puck... whereas if it's kulemin on your wing... maybe you'll try and make something happen yourself, knowing that kulemin can back-check for you if you screw up.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

It amazes me how much praise the guy does get. Rather see Kadri and Bolland in the top 6

Grabo gets shoved off the team because his coach puts him in a role where it's difficult to produce. By a product of situation and a bit of variance, no way Grabo was going to have a successful season results wise. Yet Tyler Bozak who continues to play with Kessel + a combination of Lupul/JVR is put in a situation where he will enjoy success, but he still hasn't been even remotely successful. I really don't understand people appreciating Bozak yet bashing Grabo at the same time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
you just miss your buddy grabo, its ok, go cheer for may ray now

No I don't miss him, we scored Raymond now and he sort of makes the Grabo thing ok, if he keeps it up.

Bozak is just not a good player to me and definitely not 4m good, just like how Clarkson is not 5m good. They are two huge overpayments.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No I don't miss him, we scored Raymond now and he sort of makes the Grabo thing ok, if he keeps it up.

Bozak is just not a good player to me and definitely not 4m good, just like how Clarkson is not 5m good. They are two huge overpayments.

Nonis re-signed Lupul, Kessel, and Bozak

Signed/traded for Clarkson, Bernier, Bolland, Raymond and Orr

Don't think anybody in their right mind would think these guys Macarthur, Frattin, Scrivens, Grabovski, Komisarek, Koska, Komarov, O'Bryne are a better options for The Leafs than the guys we have now.

Overpayment? I don't think you know what the market is.

Also an important factor you are omitting, all the guys that Nonis signed wanted to play here, and could have easily gotten more elsewhere. We are complaining about guys that want to play here, to wear the Maple Leaf? Man, you always make me shake my head.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

I told you that you would love raymond,

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
People probably wouldnt have as much of a problem with Bozak if he wasnt getting so much undeserved PP time over more skilled players. Let me ask you honestly: when was the last time you recall Bozak making something happen himself on the PP? Has he ever done something on the man advantage good enough to stick in one's memory?

Because possession off the faceoff is key for powerplay success, and he is our best option among faceoff takers?

Bozak plays a pivot role in the high slot on the powerplay. Players on the perimeter of the PP have him as an option for a quick pass if they're being forced by opposing penalty killers. He, in turn, pivots and gives the puck to an open man on the outside. His role on the PP is clearly defined as a distributor, and he does a good job of it. If you're expecting him to tee it up, it's likely you're going to be disappointed.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
People need to relax on Bolland. He's looked good in 3 games so far, and I love the guy but he is a #3 who can play #2 from time to time. He does not possess the same offensive skill that Bozak does and Kessel would definitely not benefit more with Bolland on his line.

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad