Tyler Bozak Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
He's a late blooming UFA out of NCAA. This is only his 4th year. Another UFA out of college, Martin St.Louis didn't break out until he was 27 years old. Bozak will probably never come close to St.Louis ceiling offensively, but this just shows that some players are late bloomers and can still improve later in their 20s.

Bozak's offensive peak was his first partial season in the NHL and in over 200 games since then he hasn't matched it.

SteveV*

I think he's comparing him to the Stajan we had, not the one Calgary had. 55 pts in 76 games and 41 points in 55 games (.72 and .75 PPG respectively) is better than any season Bozak has had (best is .64 PPG, not counting the 27pts in 37 games as that's hardly a fair sample size)

Stajan was a black hole defensively HERE.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
What in suggestions is that regular season goal and assist totals mean nothing in the playoffs. Bozak has intangibles that help that line run that grabo can not do, apparently a players point per game is more important than chhemistry..... Intangibles win play off games not regular season individual success.

Case in point: scoring a hattrick and having a 4 point night, only to lose. Lol.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
We all know Bozak is not a number one center.

Come on, give the guy a break. He does pretty good for the tough job he is given. He also has teammates that can more than help out with the offense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We all know Bozak is not a number one center.

Come on, give the guy a break. He does pretty good for the tough job he is given. He also has teammates that can more than help out with the offense.

He has the job of giving the puck to Phil. Bolland can give the puck to Phil and so can Kadri, and both of them play with the blade of their stick curved the right way, maybe pot a few of those gifts in front of the net.

I am hard on Bozak because we can do better, he is on the wrong line but at as long as Phil is a PPG player they must feel Bozak is good enough, just like when we rode Sundin. We gave him Joe Shmacko or whoever was good enough to skate with him regardless of anything and expected to contend. At this point we have the depth to float that boat but it still doesn't mean he is the best option for 1C.

Bozak Kulemin and Clarkson as a third line may be interesting since they are all relatively good defensively and have offensive potential.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Bolland Raymond
Kules Bozak Clarkson

Something like this slide Clarkson and Raymond up and down seems more realistic to me.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I am hard on Bozak because we can do better,

Be hard on guys who give poor efforts, like Tim Connolly, not guys who just aren't good enough. Bozak isn't really good enough to be a top liner, but neither is Ashton. It makes no sense to give one of these guys a hard time because of where the coach puts them, while letting the other off the hook.

he is on the wrong line but at as long as Phil is a PPG player they must feel Bozak is good enough,

I don't think they actually think Bozak is a good enough. They will upgrade our #1 center when they have the opportunity to do so, but you can't just go out on the way home from work and pickup Giroux.

Disgruntled Observer*

Be hard on guys who give poor efforts, like Tim Connolly, not guys who just aren't good enough. Bozak isn't really good enough to be a top liner, but neither is Ashton. It makes no sense to give one of these guys a hard time because of where the coach puts them, while letting the other off the hook.

I would agree with you... if Bozak agreed to be PAID like a player who "just isn't good enough".
A $4.2 million cap hit a year?
What a waste for a player who "just isn't good enough".

If you say "But he's paid like a 2nd liner... not a first liner".
I would say CORRECTION!!!! He's paid like a player who puts up 2nd line numbers... BUT NOT ACTUALLY PLAYING ON THE 2ND LINE!!!!
He puts up 2nd line numbers PLAYING ON THE 1ST LINE, WITH 1ST LINE PP TIME, AND 1ST LINE-LINEMATES!!!

You can then draw the very obvious conclusion that if he was on the 2nd line, he would put up THIRD LINE NUMBERS at best.

Because of his lack of talent and greed, he HARMS the team due to wasted cap space. As fans of the team, we should be FURIOUS at him for destroying that which we're trying to enjoy.
i HATE him.
If you really like the leafs, you should HATE him too.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I guess my disclaimer flew right over your head. I blatantly stated that I do not think Bozak is as good as Mike Richards.

My point was that for all the crap Bozak takes for his offensive output, he has out-produced Richards over the last 2 years. I would also be willing to bet he out-produces Richards AGAIN this year.

I have a question for you and all the Bozak haters...

If he scored 60 points this year, will you guys give him any credit?

Sure but he's never even hit 50 dispite playing with Kessel and Lupul, then Kessel, and JVR so what reason is there to think he will even come close?

Disgruntled Observer*

Sure but he's never even hit 50 dispite playing with Kessel and Lupul, then Kessel, and JVR so what reason is there to think he will even come close?

Are you kidding?
They "likey-like" the leafs.
And Bozak is "on-y on" the leafs.

That means he's THE BEST and can easily put up however many points he feels like putting up.
And facts, observation, and statistics don't matter.

He's a "leafy leaf" and they "likey-like" the "leafy leafs".

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He's only played one season in which he's paced less than 50 points over 82 games. A healthy season and 7-8 more points isn't a huge stretch.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
I would agree with you... if Bozak agreed to be PAID like a player who "just isn't good enough".

I would say CORRECTION!!!! He's paid like a player who puts up 2nd line numbers... BUT NOT ACTUALLY PLAYING ON THE 2ND LINE!!!!
He puts up 2nd line numbers PLAYING ON THE 1ST LINE, WITH 1ST LINE PP TIME, AND 1ST LINE-LINEMATES!!!

You can then draw the very obvious conclusion that if he was on the 2nd line, he would put up THIRD LINE NUMBERS at best.

Because of his lack of talent and greed, he HARMS the team due to wasted cap space. As fans of the team, we should be FURIOUS at him for destroying that which we're trying to enjoy.
i HATE him.

You should maybe take a look in the mirror if you HATE someone you don't even know for being put in a position on the team (1st line, 1st line PP, etc) by his coach, by more than one coach actually.

Actually, as I re-read what you wrote in your fourth paragragh in particular is so completely bizarre to me it's impossible to take you serious.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Bozak's been one of my favorite players since the day we signed him. My brother in law knew his cousin in college so I always rooted for him to make the club. Plus, Bozak is just a phenomenal hockey name. You can't deny that. Then that first goal he scored against Philadelphia cemented it for me. But here's the thing I keep seeing - he really seems to struggle with confidence issues. It's kind of ironic that he excels in the shootout and breakaways because those situations really shine a spotlight on you and based on what I've seen I just would never guess that to be one of his strengths. Anyways, here's my question: Why does it seem like Bozak lacks confidence? When he first came up he was all over the place, the team was winning, he and Phil were putting up points and starting their little bromance and he carried the puck. I still don't think he's put together a stretch as well as he played when he first came up. The only time he's really struggled was his second year, along with everyone else, was this hard to recover from? Is Ron Wilson to blame? It seems like guys that come out of college as opposed to junior sometimes have a difficult time adjusting their play to the NHL game. Bozak skipped this step and then regressed to it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he's a valuable player and by the end of this contract most people won't see the cap hit as unreasonable. I'm not really a fan of the "1C" term, but I'm happy with his production next to Kessel. However I get the feeling that he has another level to get to, when he first came up his ceiling looked a lot like a guy who could put up a 25-55 in the right situation.

Little OT considering the conversation, but I guess this thread is as good as any. I'd be interested to hear what people on this board think.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think he's comparing him to the Stajan we had, not the one Calgary had. 55 pts in 76 games and 41 points in 55 games (.72 and .75 PPG respectively) is better than any season Bozak has had (best is .64 PPG, not counting the 27pts in 37 games as that's hardly a fair sample size)

It is very easy to pick one of Stajan's best statistical years and say he is better, but simple points rarely tell the entire story.

Stajan is not better than Bozak.

Memory tells me he played with Iginla at one point in time in Calgary so no one can tell me he never had good wingers to play with.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has the job of giving the puck to Phil. Bolland can give the puck to Phil and so can Kadri, and both of them play with the blade of their stick curved the right way, maybe pot a few of those gifts in front of the net.

I am hard on Bozak because we can do better, he is on the wrong line but at as long as Phil is a PPG player they must feel Bozak is good enough, just like when we rode Sundin. We gave him Joe Shmacko or whoever was good enough to skate with him regardless of anything and expected to contend. At this point we have the depth to float that boat but it still doesn't mean he is the best option for 1C.

Bozak Kulemin and Clarkson as a third line may be interesting since they are all relatively good defensively and have offensive potential.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Bolland Raymond
Kules Bozak Clarkson

Something like this slide Clarkson and Raymond up and down seems more realistic to me.

Can we accept that Bozak will never be a PPG player? If you do, you will realize he does a lot of good things that help a team win games.

In a cap world, you cannot have an all-star team of #1C's #1 wingers, and still ice a decent group of support players.

Bozak at 4.2 is a good borderline core player, and an excellent support player. His versatility should be applauded by Leafs fans, rather than the usual he is not a #1C refrain because he is not paid as a #1C. The man does a lot of things well, time to give him credit.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
No, there would be no credit. All we would hear is how how can't break 70pts with "2PPG wingers". When in reality, its two 50pt players (JVR and TB) paired with a PPG winger; PK.

Wrong, at least for me. If he even gets 50+ I'd be happy and will shut up. If he gets 60 ill be ecstatic as would many others.

hockeyfanz*

Are you kidding?
They "likey-like" the leafs.
And Bozak is "on-y on" the leafs.

That means he's THE BEST and can easily put up however many points he feels like putting up.
And facts, observation, and statistics don't matter.

He's a "leafy leaf" and they "likey-like" the "leafy leafs".

When the Leafs get a real #1 C..there will be no room for Bozie because he is easily the 4th best center on this team behind Kadri, McClement and Bolland. Say they sign Big Joe Thornton as a UFA this summer....where does that leave Bozie?

The guy sucks.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Wrong, at least for me. If he even gets 50+ I'd be happy and will shut up. If he gets 60 ill be ecstatic as would many others.

I'd venture you'd be in the minority. I said in the midst of his terribad second season that he would be back on that line for the long haul, and I stand by it. He is a multi-talented player, is becoming a hell of a two way center and brings more to the top line than just points. Lets face it, we're not hurting for offense here in Toronto.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
When the Leafs get a real #1 C..there will be no room for Bozie because he is easily the 4th best center on this team behind Kadri, McClement and Bolland. Say they sign Big Joe Thornton as a UFA this summer....where does that leave Bozie?

The guy sucks.

Man if you hate Bozak's contract, you better hope we don't touch Thornton with a 10 foot pole this summer.

Will be a 35 year old looking for a 5+ year retirement contract at $6+ mil and has been on the decline for the last 3-4 years.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

i HATE him.

why are you here? Seriously, go see a therapist.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

i HATE him.

What about when JVR puts up the same numbers on the same 1st line?

He's an exception right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad