Prospect Info: Tyler Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It was actually only a real minor concussion. What actually kept him out longer was a neck injury. They both happened on the same play, but I heard Bertuzzi passed concussion testing early, but the neck injury kept him out.

February was, by far, his best month. I think after that he tired from being out so long his conditioning was up to par. His playoffs you could tell this as well.

Although I wasn't a fan of his major goonery in the playoffs.

Do you know what his stats were in February? I went looking for some of his best stetches of play but I couldn't find any.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
First of all, of course the kid could surprise everyone and be a star. That's not what it's about, but you know you aren't looking at the best of picks if the *proponents* concede it was too early while also admitting that they didn't do so because of any specific knowledge that someone else was going to but rather a vague fear that someone else might like the kid too and hey they had an extra pick so why not use it on a kid who otherwise might have gone in the 4th or 5th round.
The problem is, everyone thinks every drafted player should be a potential star it seems like and thats not the truth. Any player could surprise and become one.

What I find hilarious is that the kid was probably picked a round early, anywhere from late 3rd onward people had him going. Some very late and others just outside of the top 50. Theres a person on the prospect board saying another team would've taken him in the third (take that for what its worth though) etc.

I think it was a reach of a pick as well but what I find hilarious is the amount of crying going on over a 58th overall pick who like you said likely wont play anyways. One of the best second round drafting teams in the NHL lately liked what they saw enough to take him fairly high and many other people thought it was an alright pick.

So why are so many people crying about this pick when it was maybe a one round reach? That happens all the time in drafts, the wings did it with Brendan Smith as well.

Is Yann Pavel Laplante a guy they should have taken instead? Or Keegan Kanzig?

Who is this stud all star they missed out on that is worth everyone whining so much about one pick when theyve never seen the kid play?

Hes one of the toughest kids to play against in the OHL, has good blood lines, came on pretty well after his injury and just recently had a big growth spurt.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
The problem is, everyone thinks every drafted player should be a potential star it seems like and thats not the truth. Any player could surprise and become one.

What I find hilarious is that the kid was probably picked a round early, anywhere from late 3rd onward people had him going. Some very late and others just outside of the top 50. Theres a person on the prospect board saying another team would've taken him in the third (take that for what its worth though) etc.

I think it was a reach of a pick as well but what I find hilarious is the amount of crying going on over a 58th overall pick who like you said likely wont play anyways. One of the best second round drafting teams in the NHL lately liked what they saw enough to take him fairly high and many other people thought it was an alright pick.

So why are so many people crying about this pick when it was maybe a one round reach? That happens all the time in drafts, the wings did it with Brendan Smith as well.

Who is this stud all star they missed out on that is worth everyone whining so much about one pick when theyve never seen the kid play?

Hes one of the toughest kids to play against in the OHL, has good blood lines, came on pretty well after his injury and just recently had a big growth spurt.

I liked the Russian kid personally.

Your point is fair tho. I wish we could have bought him cheaper but I'm coming around to the idea we wanted him on the team.

Plus, I think it might be a mistake to blow off the Nill factor. I get that he didn't have "our entire board" but from the sounds of it we've been watching Tyler for a long time.

Dallas was picking before we picked again; seems pretty obvious to me why we "reached".

Personally? I was mad at the time, but like always I'm still a Wings fan. Now that he's on the team, the obvious plan is to talk him into wearing #22 so we can call him "Duece" or "Shortround" no? :)

RedWingsNow*

If you don't like the crying about this pick, perhaps try another thread instead of the Bertuzzi thread. You admit it was a reach - and that's the cause of the complaining.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you don't like the crying about this pick, perhaps try another thread instead of the Bertuzzi thread. You admit it was a reach - and that's the cause of the complaining.

A small reach isnt worth the whining thats going on in this thread is the point.

And I'm still waiting on who the kid is that everyone is so upset the wings missed out on. Its like how people say dont complain about politics if you dont vote. Well dont sit here and cry over a pick without listing who you thought was such a better pick at that spot. Its not the complaining thats so bad either, yeah some people have the right to say they werent a fan of the pick.

Its the absolute outrage of some people that this pick happened that makes me laugh, especially without listing alternatives. And then even on top of that the fact that everyone is saying the wings watched him a lot and its likely Nill knew all about him. They got Mantha and decided to ensure they got another kid they liked to make sure hes around.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't think you guys realize he'll fill a hole in the line up in probably two years and will be a very effective piece in the future. Picture him, callahan, and ferraro on the 4th line in two years, who will want to play vs them? No one.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Ya know. I don't even really care that we picked him in the 2nd round any longer. Hopefully it works out and he's an effective NHL player in 4 or 5 years. There are much more pressing concerns than what was an extra 2nd round pick.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A small reach isnt worth the whining thats going on in this thread is the point.

And I'm still waiting on who the kid is that everyone is so upset the wings missed out on. Its like how people say dont complain about politics if you dont vote. Well dont sit here and cry over a pick without listing who you thought was such a better pick at that spot. Its not the complaining thats so bad either, yeah some people have the right to say they werent a fan of the pick.

Its the absolute outrage of some people that this pick happened that makes me laugh, especially without listing alternatives. And then even on top of that the fact that everyone is saying the wings watched him a lot and its likely Nill knew all about him. They got Mantha and decided to ensure they got another kid they liked to make sure hes around.

fine i'll bite

Pavel Buchnevich

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Interesting pick, to say the least. I can't remember a recent pick that fits this profile. And it's interesting that it's the first post-Nill draft. I sense a possible shift in organizational draft strategy, largely because of this pick, but also largely because of the lack of skill and upside amongst the 8 picks. There are still Hakan fingerprints here, and I like the Mantha pick, but a lot of Babcock-like players here, more than usual. There's always talk about Babcock and Holland butting heads, but I wonder how much Babcock and Nill butted heads.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Don't know if you guys saw this, but a poster named "hockieguy" has been talking up the Bertuzzi pick on the prospects forum. Most notably, he claims to own a scouting/consulting business (and perhaps thus knows what he's talking about).

Would you like some crow to eat now, or later. Bertuzzi has a huge upside and the Redwings saw it. Tyler will be the next D' Arcy Tucker. Many that did not know the game thought the samething and he proved them wrong. Tye was nevercsupposed to the Storm, but he did. He gets better at every level and hard work beats talent when talent doesnt want to work. This kids work ethic is second to none. Be prepared to see him in the Red and White sooner than you think. He is a player.

The Rangers were all over Tye. They were going to take him in third round. He will be the steal of the draft. He gets better every level he moves up. He cracked the Storm's lineup when he wasn't supposed too. And, he did have a slight concussion, but the extended time out the lineup was a neck injury he suffered when he got the concussion.

The Detroit Redwings are a good team because they draft extremely well. For this team to tack Bertuzzi in the second round should speak very loudly to everyone. They see what many people see. He will play and he is that good. If you look at the draft, he is the only player available in the whole crop of available players that plays like "Darcy Tucker" with a little rubard and nastiness. That is why 5 teams expressed interest to the point that they brought him to their cities. This kid is going to surprise a lot of people, and this is why the Rangers are pissed that Detroit got him.

I have scouted him since major Bantam and know this kid's skill. He out scored Hunter Garlant (golden boy) while playing 1/2 the ice time and pretty much no power play time. If he had the playing time that Garlant did, he would have easily scored 20- 25 times. In addition, he has fought for his team mates, hit, played the body and got dirty when he had to be. Very few kids in their second year in the league will put themselves on the line like that. This is why he is going to play. He is now 6'1" tall and has gained weight as well.

The one intangible Bertuzzi has is that he gets better and better every level he has played at. Next year in Guelph, I can see Bertuzzi being a 20- 25 goal scorer and 30+ assists. His passing is his strongest asset and is extremely good at puck possession in the corners.

Really good teams draft for what they need. Detroit is replenishing players they lost from retirement etc. via the draft. Colorado did it last weekend. Most thought Jones was going first but didn't. The point in this is very simple, teams are drafting very specific to what they really need.

Bertuzzi fills a gap in what they lost, like Draper for example. I truly believe he is going to do well and surprise many doubters. Guelph's Northern Ontario scout in SSM (Mancusso) really pushed Guelph to take him two years ago, and it paid off in spades for the Storm. Expect the same in Detroit.

Make of this stuff what you will. I just thought it was an interestingly positive perspective.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Don't know if you guys saw this, but a poster named "hockieguy" has been talking up the Bertuzzi pick on the prospects forum. Most notably, he claims to own a scouting/consulting business (and perhaps thus knows what he's talking about).

Make of this stuff what you will. I just thought it was an interestingly positive perspective.

At first the half assed typing had me convinced he's full of crap.

Then I finished reading it... that guy might actually be a scout; or at least hang out with a bunch of them. I mean he talks the talk at a minimum.

If he's who he says he is, and everything he just said is true... I'm going to be SUPER happy about how wrong I was the day we drafted him?

Thanks for sharing. That's excellent reading.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Kinda sorta get the vibe of a friend/relative more so than a scout, though. Why would a scout sound so personally invested in promoting a random player?But,who the hell knows?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Kinda sorta get the vibe of a friend/relative more so than a scout, though. Why would a scout sound so personally invested in promoting a random player?But,who the hell knows?

For the same reason you and I root for kids we've watched for 4 years in Grand Rapids?

You spend enough time studying another human being.... Plus, remember for a scout/consultant? Winning = being right. Actually, that's not much different than here now is it? :)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Sure,I suppose that could be the case. But just certain things about it seem too personally attached. I could be wrong, it's never happened before but there is a first for everything, but it's just the vibe I get from it.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Sure,I suppose that could be the case. But just certain things about it seem too personally attached. I could be wrong, it's never happened before but there is a first for everything, but it's just the vibe I get from it.

Fair. Just a guess anyways. Non-zero percent chance I just WANT to believe because we've already drafted him :)

:laugh:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Sure I do, too. If this kid is a stud in the NHL at what he does it will just add to the epic value we seem to be getting in the second round these days.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The biggest surprise, however, was scrappy Tyler Bertuzzi. He wasn’t even on the CSB’s radar at Christmas, but on draft day, the Detroit Red Wings called his name in the second round, 58th overall.
“He became a commodity,” said Storm VP and GM Mike Kelly. “After his performance in the playoffs (coach) Scott (Walker) and myself took more calls on him than anyone. It was apparent his stock was rising quickly. I would have projected him as a third round pick but I’m thrilled Detroit selected him where they did. That is quite a statement for a player who missed a good chunk of the season with a neck injury.”

Bertuzzi was Guelph’s best forward in their playoff series against Kitchener. He was tenacious, dangerous offensively and a general pain in the butt.
“There isn’t much argument about that,” said Kelly. “He showed good decision-making with the puck and when everything is on the line, he plays his best hockey, as he did last year in the playoffs.”

http://www.guelphtribune.ca/sports/tyler-bertuzzi-big-surprise-at-nhl-draft/

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 1 h
Wow we just had a nice little fight between @JJenseman and Tyler bertuzzi. #drwdc #redwings

First time I have seen that at #drwdc #redwings

@JJenseman has left the ice for medical... #drwdc #redwings

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 44 min
@JJenseman on the fight with @tylerbertuzzi "that's hockey. We are fine now. We were both just competing" #redwings #drwdc

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 43 min
Jensen is fine btw #redwings #drwdc

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wow we just had a nice little fight between @JJenseman and Tyler bertuzzi. #drwdc #redwings

First time I have seen that at #drwdc #redwings

@JJenseman has left the ice for medical... #drwdc #redwings

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 44 min
@JJenseman on the fight with @tylerbertuzzi "that's hockey. We are fine now. We were both just competing" #redwings #drwdc

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 43 min
Jensen is fine btw #redwings #drwdc
I expect that of Bertuzzi, but it looks like Jensen might be a bit tougher than I thought. Although it sounds like Bertuzzi probably beat him up a bit, too.

edit: Jensen had 36 total PIM in his entire college career, so maybe we're just talking about Bertuzzi's agitation skills at work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad