Prospect Info: Tyler Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
draftanalysis.jpg

From here and here

On picks between 41-80, only 15% make it to NHL regular level. And only few percent become first liners.

SECOND ROUND (326 picks)

4 became dominant players. (1.2%)
70 turned into decent players. (21.5%)
252 were short lived or busts. (77.3%

10 yar span from 96-05. And this kid was late second rounder.

To get a general idea, I decided to go through ten drafts, from 1995 through 2004 (leaving time for the 2004 picks to establish their NHL career) and assigned a numerical value to each of the players selected, using the following guidelines, with some examples:

10 - Generational (Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin )
9 - Elite Player (Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley )
8 - First Line, Top Pair D (Thomas Vanek, Dion Phaneuf )
7 - Top Six Forward, Top Four D (Daymond Langkow, Chris Phillips )
6 - Top Nine Forward, Top Six D (Daniel Cleary, David Legwand )
5 - NHL Regular (Michael Rupp, Boyd Devereaux )
4 - Fringe NHLer (Kris Beech, Krystofer Kolanos )
3 - Very Good Minor Leaguer (Pavel Brendl, Jeff Heerema )
2 - Minor Leaguer, maybe gets a shot in NHL (Chris Hajt, Daniel Tkaczuk )
1 - No NHL games (Matt Zultek, Luca Cereda

No. 56-60
Average Rating: 2.52
Best: Zdeno Chara, Tom Poti, Patrick O'Sullivan, Matt Stajan, Brandon Dubinsky, Jiri Hudler.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 28%

Looking at odds, a late 2nd round pick.

48% chance you draft someone that will play a single NHL game
24% chance you draft someone that will play a single season's worth of games
21% chance you draft someone that will be an NHL player
17% chance you draft someone that will be a regular NHL'r at some level

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1458701

Ofc, the last analysis is done little early as some players from 08-09 drafts can/will make it so those numbers are going to look a bit better.

So the chances are fairly slim already around this area. Yeah, I know, 'deep draft'. We'll see in five, seven years.

If he becomes Andrew Shaw +, I consider this pick successful.

Ofc, one might want a pick there with little more upside but Wings did went kind of boom and bust with many other picks. I haven't seen this kid play much, basically none where I have focused just on him so don't know that the Wings were looking on him except what they said on interviews. But clearly they were high on him. We don't have many players like this, heck NHL doesn't have many players like this. You don't get them at UFA, without big overpayment if at all. So it's better to draft them, or you may not get them at all and you get them much cheaper. But they have to pan out ofc.

That's why I'm ok with this bc he is kind of unique player and could see why he was 'BPA'. If he was another smallish but skilled winger who we have ton or similar D that we have ton, I wouldn't be as ok with it assuming those players would have been 'reaches' as well.

They also may have felt that Nymark Halen has to be taken with that third rounder so they went with Bert on this pick. Though in that case they could have traded down.

But they may have felt that he would have gone pretty soon. Teams have wildly different draft rankings. I posted Canucks 2010 draft board a while back here. They had Mrazek, Pulks higher were we took them, much higher. I think Järnkrok too. They also had Marchenko there, who Wings took with 7th in 2011.

Would I have picked this kid there? No way. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do. He does have some intriguing qualities, based on what I've read.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I am a little late, since this is the first time I could get to a computer since the draft but here it goes.

I am a big Storm fan and have seen pretty much every home game (plus a few road games that were close drives).

The "He makes Andrew Shaw look like a Lady Byng winner" is probably correct. The Kid is a super pest. Plus he will do anything to win, anything to take others off there game. Good forecheck, loves to get into the post-whistle scrums. Will sometimes go over the line, as with most pests. So he could very easily make a 4th line role.

His offense, isn't great, but he's developing. Got better as the year went on, but work in progress. I am curious to see what he can do in the offensive zone when he puts some extra weight on. His 16 year old season he was 5'9", 150lbs. He's gotten considerably bigger since then, 6'1", 178lbs so he is probably still getting used to playing with a bigger frame. Also of note, he received little to no PP time. That might change this season, and he could become a net front guy, because Scott Walker loves the kid.

P.S. Joe McDonnell was at plenty of Guelph Storm games this season so I can assure he has seen plenty of Bertuzzi as well, something he must like.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I am a little late, since this is the first time I could get to a computer since the draft but here it goes.

I am a big Storm fan and have seen pretty much every home game (plus a few road games that were close drives).

The "He makes Andrew Shaw look like a Lady Byng winner" is probably correct. The Kid is a super pest. Plus he will do anything to win, anything to take others off there game. Good forecheck, loves to get into the post-whistle scrums. Will sometimes go over the line, as with most pests. So he could very easily make a 4th line role.

His offense, isn't great, but he's developing. Got better as the year went on, but work in progress. I am curious to see what he can do in the offensive zone when he puts some extra weight on. His 16 year old season he was 5'9", 150lbs. He's gotten considerably bigger since then, 6'1", 178lbs so he is probably still getting used to playing with a bigger frame. Also of note, he received little to no PP time. That might change this season, and he could become a net front guy, because Scott Walker loves the kid.

P.S. Joe McDonnell was at plenty of Guelph Storm games this season so I can assure he has seen plenty of Bertuzzi as well, something he must like.

Cool, thanks.

Just bc I'm interested, where would you have drafted him/where did you project he would go?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

What he said.

I had Bertuzzi rated as the 32nd rated OHL player for the draft.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2013_7198.html

I think taking him as early as the Wings did was a bit of a reach, but that doesn't mean he can't develop into a solid player. In particular, I'm very curious to see how his offensive game develops over the next couple of years. I don't think he's ever going to be the type of player who excels in the skill department (a big guy who can carry the puck), but he could be a solid energy player who can net garbage goals and learn to play in front of the net.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I wonder which team they thought was going to steal their pick. I don't see him not making it at least until the 3rd round.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I wonder which team they thought was going to steal their pick. I don't see him not making it at least until the 3rd round.

Probably Dallas. Tyler Bertuzzi, it's safe to assume this is the most controversial draft pick in recent team history.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Supposedly he's grown another one and a half inches according to the write-up on RWC. I am OK with the pick, don't love it but also am not going to get worked up about drafting him.

We all say we want guys who play a tough game but then when we draft one it puzzles me people lose their ****.

I don't have a problem personally with drafting a player like him my issue is when they picked him up (if it where me and I was worried when he might get picked up by say dallas ok then draft him in the 4th but wtf on drafting him in the second).

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Cool, thanks.

Just bc I'm interested, where would you have drafted him/where did you project he would go?

A lot of people projected him to be a late pick, I was thinking before the draft that I could easily have seen a team fall in love with what he does bring and select him late 4th-early 5th.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The funny truth would be, that no one would complain, if the draft would have been like this: :)

Code:
20 	1 	Anthony Mantha 	R 	Val d'Or Foreurs [QMJHL] 					
48 	2 	Zach Nastasiuk   	R 	Owen Sound Attack [OHL] 					
58 	2 	Mattias Janmark-Nylen 	C 	AIK [SEL] 									
79 	3 	David Pope        	L 	West Kelowna Warriors [BCHL] 	
109 	4 	Tyler Bertuzzi 	           L 	Guelph Storm [OHL] 					
139 	5 	Mitch Wheaton    	D 	Kelowna Rockets [WHL] 					
169 	6 	Marc McNulty     	D 	Prince George Cougars [WHL] 					
199 	7 	Hampus Melen    	R 	Tingsryd Jrs. (Sweden)

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
The funny truth would be, that no one would complain, if the draft would have been like this: :)

Code:

You got me, I just said this EXACT same thing to my BF.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
11-20: kindl

1st line: 0
NHL regular: 0
depth/utility: 1
non-NHL: 0

21-40:
fischer, kronwall, kopecky, wallin

1st line: 1
NHL regular: 1
non-NHL: 1

41-80:
miller, butsayev, sykora, barnes, valtonen, grigorenko, hudler, fleischmann, howard, abdelkader, lofberg

1st line: 0
NHL regular: 3
non-NHL: 7

81-140:
forsander, podolka, laing, wikstrom, mccracken, hobday, tolsa, liv, semenov, seluyanov, van leusen, macintyre, blatak, filppula, berggren, quincey, franzen, mcgrath, ritola, helm, ryno

NHL regular: 3
depth/utility: 0
non-NHL: 17

141+
nilsson, jacques, beardsmore, stahl, afanasiev, young, laceby, willejto, willers, steen, deleeuw, datsyuk, petrasek, pietilainen, maximenko, mcdonell, zetterberg, borodkin, davis, backer, ballantyne, svensson, jackson, bumagin, jamtin, pannoni, bykov, senez, koopmans, kuddihy, meech, beaulieu, soderstrom, ericsson, oulahen, sundin, blom, kollar, kutny, johansson, kolosov, haskins, axelsson, covington, stolyarov, backstrom, may, mielonen, stamler

1st line: 2
depth/utility: 0
non-NHL: 45

not always easy to classify players, since presence of other leagues creates competition. some of these players might be able to be classified as depth/utility players if they were not able to get better jobs in other leagues.

i wonder if results would be significantly different in a different timespan. drafts of mid/late '90s tended to suck. in that period, DRW also tended to draft badly and to trade draft picks for NHLers.

Code:
good point. you could also switch bertuzzi and wheaton.

pick of bertuzzi is not my main complaint. this draft feels like the opposite of how DRW became and stayed successful. and combined with a lot of the comments about how they want to focus on size and babcock's comments about how big players are, it sorta gives the impression that management as a whole, not just scouts, is starting to value size over skill, which is bad, imo.

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Code:

Might be right there. :)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Code:

Or what about:
#18 Mantha
#48 Nastasiuk
#79 Janmark
#109 Pope
#139 Wheaton
#169 McNulty
#199 Melén

San Jose just felt like being nice :dunno:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Dallas. The Stars would have picked before we picked again and we know that Nill knows a thing or two about our targets; maybe not the whole story, but he'd definitely be aware of a guy we'd been watching for as long as we say we watched Tyler.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

Toronto, Buffalo, and Chicago all had him work out in each of those cities according to a Sudbury newspaper.

I hope people can separate the player and the pick, this is a prospect I was really hoping we would get. I don't know if some people realize he had a concussion impact his season, and returned to be a near point per game player through February. The situation reminds me in ways of the Tvrdon pick, since their was a real limited window for teams to see this player. I totally understand being upset at where they picked him, but I'm excited that we didn't miss out on him regarldess.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
21-40:
fischer, kronwall, kopecky, wallin

non-NHL: 1

Um.... I see two top 4 D-man and a guy that plays in the top 6 down in Florida. Fischer obviously had the heart issue, but that is a pretty exceptional draft. Kopecky while not perfect is playing in the top 6. Kronwall was on our top pairing and Fischer was already starting to take top 4 minutes and looked like a potential top pairing guy before the incident.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's pretty dumb to defend the pick on the basis that professional scouts made it because every single pick in every draft is pretty much made based on information provided by professional scouts. Why even bother discussing the draft, if we can just say "clearly, all these guys making these picks know more about hockey than us so these picks must be good". Extrapolate that to all the other subjects, free agency, trades, lines, special teams units, goaltending, contract extensions and what else and you can shut down the forum. "Professionals have made this decision, how dare you question it! If you were so clever, you'd have their jobs!"

People making that argumnt should delete their accounts for consistency's stake.

No but a day after the draft where none of you had seen him play and definitely didnt pay a lot of attention to him shouldnt be calling it a wasted pick.

Maybe say you dont like it but we'll see or say I'm surprised they took him there. But the people saying its a wasted pick and he wont be an NHL player should be the ones shutting down their accounts. No one on here has come close to watching enough games of this kid to say what his deal is. One guy from Guelph said he really likes him, that GSP hockey guy had him just outside the top 50, Brock said he was a bit of a reach but liked him and the wings liked him enough to take him there. A round too early? Sure, maybe and even the wings said as much but with that extra pick they added a guy they wanted in the pipe line and think can be an NHLer

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Um.... I see two top 4 D-man and a guy that plays in the top 6 down in Florida. Fischer obviously had the heart issue, but that is a pretty exceptional draft. Kopecky while not perfect is playing in the top 6. Kronwall was on our top pairing and Fischer was already starting to take top 4 minutes and looked like a potential top pairing guy before the incident.
which draft are you saying is exceptional?

i don't think kopecky is a core player, and playing a top 6 role on a terrible team is not particularly important, imo.

abdelkader played on 1st line this season for a playoff team and is younger than kopecky, but i wouldn't say he's a core player, either.

i think fischer has become overrated since his career ended. i would say regular NHLer is a good classification.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Toronto, Buffalo, and Chicago all had him work out in each of those cities according to a Sudbury newspaper.

I hope people can separate the player and the pick, this is a prospect I was really hoping we would get. I don't know if some people realize he had a concussion impact his season, and returned to be a near point per game player through February. The situation reminds me in ways of the Tvrdon pick, since their was a real limited window for teams to see this player. I totally understand being upset at where they picked him, but I'm excited that we didn't miss out on him regarldess.

It was actually only a real minor concussion. What actually kept him out longer was a neck injury. They both happened on the same play, but I heard Bertuzzi passed concussion testing early, but the neck injury kept him out.

February was, by far, his best month. I think after that he tired from being out so long his conditioning was up to par. His playoffs you could tell this as well.

Although I wasn't a fan of his major goonery in the playoffs.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
which draft are you saying is exceptional?

i don't think kopecky is a core player, and playing a top 6 role on a terrible team is not particularly important, imo.

abdelkader played on 1st line this season for a playoff team and is younger than kopecky, but i wouldn't say he's a core player, either.

i think fischer has become overrated since his career ended. i would say regular NHLer is a good classification.

Fischer was starting to get top minutes when he got injured and was looking better than Kronner. Fischer was the one they chose to play with Lidas too at times, I dont remember if Kronner got the same mentorship time with him.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No but a day after the draft where none of you had seen him play and definitely didnt pay a lot of attention to him shouldnt be calling it a wasted pick.

Maybe say you dont like it but we'll see or say I'm surprised they took him there. But the people saying its a wasted pick and he wont be an NHL player should be the ones shutting down their accounts. No one on here has come close to watching enough games of this kid to say what his deal is. One guy from Guelph said he really likes him, that GSP hockey guy had him just outside the top 50, Brock said he was a bit of a reach but liked him and the wings liked him enough to take him there. A round too early? Sure, maybe and even the wings said as much but with that extra pick they added a guy they wanted in the pipe line and think can be an NHLer

First of all, of course the kid could surprise everyone and be a star. That's not what it's about, but you know you aren't looking at the best of picks if the *proponents* concede it was too early while also admitting that they didn't do so because of any specific knowledge that someone else was going to but rather a vague fear that someone else might like the kid too and hey they had an extra pick so why not use it on a kid who otherwise might have gone in the 4th or 5th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad