Player Discussion Ty Rattie

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think Rattie being good would price him off the team. I think he is still a RFA after this contract so if he has a great year we do a 3 mill bridge till he is a UFA and go from there.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself in being worried about his contract should he have a good season. Probably should wait till he has a good ~10 game stretch in the regular season before I get worried about that.

But "great year" could mean a lot of things playing with McDavid. And depending on what happens with some of our other RFAs and the cap, $3M might even be too much.

It's a weird situation. Our top 3 RWers are all guys looking to prove themselves as legit NHL point producers. All three are on relatively cheap deals right now and all three are RFAs next summer. For us to succeed we're probably going to need 2, if not all 3 of them to have great years.

Reactions: Belieber

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He'll be an RFA, and lets be real... He's an Alberta kid who is playing with McDavid. If he lights it up, I think he seriously considers a hometown discount. Whether he lights it up or not; and if he does if he takes the discount or not, I don't know. Hard to leave big money like that on the table.

But, there is more to life than money; certainly any NHL player has more than enough. I look at a guy like Rob Brown, and you ask him if he woulda stayed by Lemieux if he had a chance... He probably would say yes today.

Exactly, said pretty much the same above but brilliant use of example in Brown.

Sometimes people get a rare decision. Be famous and immortal and a champion or try to take some extra money somewhere else and never be heard from again.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly, said pretty much the same above but brilliant use of example in Brown.

Sometimes people get a rare decision. Be famous and immortal and a champion or try to take some extra money somewhere else and never be heard from again.

Well, and really, depending on how big a boost you get from McDavid in stats compared to mean, over say an 8 year career you may actually make the same or perhaps even more money by taking the discount and staying with McDavid.

A gamble though. But you look at Rob Brown, a 50 goal scorer with Lemieux, but without him he was more of a 20-30 goal guy.

And, like you said, I look at this guy... You can see the happiness in his eyes tonight, and you can see the hunger he has to seize this opportunity. This guy wants it, if he get to ultimately take advantage it, can he justify walking away from it?

Last edited:

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Maybe it is a bit early to eat crow, but when Ty was getting top line minutes over Pulju I was very annoyed. I never said Ty was a bad player because I never followed him. Still, I did voice that I didn't see why he was getting "gifted" top line minutes over Jesse. I retract my statements not because of pre-season production, I retract my statements because he has looked good.

His shot is better, his control of the puck at speed is better, his finish is better, and he compliments Nuge and McD. There was a point last night where I saw an Oiler jersey split who I believe was Trouba and JoMo and get in for a really great opportunity. I assumed it as McD until I saw #8 on his jersey. I think we have a really good player here. He has clearly worked hard in the off-season to prove simpletons like me wrong. I can't wait to see if he can keep up his strong play into the regular season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ratties a solid player. Hes a smart positional player with skills. He snot good enough to drive a line, and thats why hes been an AHL player up until now. But all he has to do is be in the right spot on the McDavid/RNH line

I think well get 25ish good game out of Rattie and hell score something like 20 points, mostly on the back of McDavid (not a slight to Rattie). But after that, teams will game plan for this and then it will be interesting if he can adapt

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Rattie experiment could be a huge get for the Oilers but its way too early to truly pencil Rattie in for 50+ points on McDavids wing. If he does I also think its safe to say he won't be around for too long. Very easy to say take less money to play with McDavid but its just not realistic to think someone will take less money than they could get elsewhere.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Ratties a solid player. Hes a smart positional player with skills. He snot good enough to drive a line, and thats why hes been an AHL player up until now. But all he has to do is be in the right spot on the McDavid/RNH line

I think well get 25ish good game out of Rattie and hell score something like 20 points, mostly on the back of McDavid (not a slight to Rattie). But after that, teams will game plan for this and then it will be interesting if he can adapt

I think also because St. Louis were set on wingers. Rattie could never outplay them

Reactions: VainGretzky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe it is a bit early to eat crow, but when Ty was getting top line minutes over Pulju I was very annoyed. I never said Ty was a bad player because I never followed him. Still, I did voice that I didn't see why he was getting "gifted" top line minutes over Jesse. I retract my statements not because of pre-season production, I retract my statements because he has looked good.

His shot is better, his control of the puck at speed is better, his finish is better, and he compliments Nuge and McD. There was a point last night where I saw an Oiler jersey split who I believe was Trouba and JoMo and get in for a really great opportunity. I assumed it as McD until I saw #8 on his jersey. I think we have a really good player here. He has clearly worked hard in the off-season to prove simpletons like me wrong. I can't wait to see if he can keep up his strong play into the regular season.
Its good to admit errors, I liked the Rattie and Aberg additions or auditions or whatever one wants to call it last season. These are the quiet pick ups that don't cost much that can really make a difference. If Rattie manages to continue in this vein on topline then it gives us that extra production winger that we've so much needed in topsix and especially since Maroon has not been here.

Rattie is uber talented. One of the best players to come out of the WHL. But the NHL is such a tough league that even players that are highly thought of often don't get the chances they need. Rattie would have been a high first round pick except he was considered small by NHL standards. But he's now stronger and faster and playing with grit that people didn't even expect from him at this level. But as we see in a game like last night anticipation is there, he can think the game on a high level, and not a beat was missing on topline with him on it. Worth noting it can be hard to play with McD because you look stupid in a hurry doing it (Lucic nods his head)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's played what, 3 exhibition games this year, after a 14 game stint last year, and we're already talking contract?

Whoa. Just a tad premature, but certainly no something that is a surprise on this site. The usual fan boys wetting themselves after a nice stint.

Let's see how he's doing in January/February before making long term plans for him.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I agree that it's more than a little too early to be talking long term contract, but as another person who seriously doubted Rattie I'm really impressed this preseason.

That last goal of the Winnipeg game stands out to me especially - Rattie makes a beautiful read to find a narrow seam far behind McDavid for a beautiful shot as soon as the puck touches his stick. That kind of reading the play is what McDavid really needs to hit his max performance. He'll always be leaving his line mates in the dust so it's more important that they learn to find the openings he's making for them every second he has the puck. Most of his other linemates so far have tended to get lost in trying to catch up, driving straight for the net, or tried to make the space themselves. Nah, f*** that. Mcdavid will do it for you. JUST GET OPEN!

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
As i mentioned in the general forums, me might have found the Oilers version of a Thornton Cheecho type of chemistry. Even at half the impact will still be a victory.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I remember when Anson Carter tried to get rich after having a good year with the Sedins. I think he signed in Columbus and no one heard of him again.
To be fair, Carter was 31 and that wasn't even his best year for points. A guy like him being retired by 34 isn't that unusual.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McDavid seems to really like him based on his post game interview and comments.

McDavid is a great captain and won't say a bad word about any of his teammates. That said it's clear that those 3 have chemistry. And guys like Eberle for example never got there with Connor. Since we're talking contract I could see a 2 year bridge for $2.5-$3 million if he has a big year.

Reactions: snipes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The maroon situation shows that the team will let Rattie walk if he demands huge cash. If he has a big year he could get a lot of money from us but only assuming a lot of those totals are exaggerated

Reactions: CycloneSweep

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As i mentioned in the general forums, me might have found the Oilers version of a Thornton Cheecho type of chemistry. Even at half the impact will still be a victory.

I think Cheechoo is criminally underrated due to his steep drop off. I think he was a legit 30+ goalscorer without Thornton, thing is he just also had Thornton. His fall had more to do with losing several steps due to age and multiple foot injuries.

We're talking about a guy that scored 28 goals in 2004 playing on a third line with SCOTT Thornton and Mike Ricci as his most common linemates, and only 2nd unit PP time. He was 28 years old in his "breakout season" when he was "dragged" by JOE Thornton.

It really bothers me the way guys say he was solely a product of Thornton. This is a guy that tied prime Patrick Marleau playing 22 minutes a night in goalscoring with 15:16 minutes a night from the third line. Guy's legacy got totally tarnished because he's the only guy to ever score more than 40 goals playing with Thornton? Guys don't give him any merit for being able to find open space at the right time, having a hell of a shot, and being feisty to play against.

We're talking about a guy who scored the same as Ilya Kovalchuk in the KHL as late as 2015-16 at the ripe age of 37. He's a talented player and he deserves more respect.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Cheechoo is criminally underrated due to his steep drop off. I think he was a legit 30+ goalscorer without Thornton, thing is he just also had Thornton. His fall had more to do with losing several steps due to age and multiple foot injuries.

We're talking about a guy that scored 28 goals in 2004 playing on a third line with SCOTT Thornton and Mike Ricci as his most common linemates, and only 2nd unit PP time. He was 28 years old in his "breakout season" when he was "dragged" by JOE Thornton.

It really bothers me the way guys say he was solely a product of Thornton. This is a guy that tied prime Patrick Marleau playing 22 minutes a night in goalscoring with 15:16 minutes a night from the third line. Guy's legacy got totally tarnished because he's the only guy to ever score more than 40 goals playing with Thornton? Guys don't give him any merit for being able to find open space at the right time, having a hell of a shot, and being feisty to play against.

We're talking about a guy who scored the same as Ilya Kovalchuk in the KHL as late as 2015-16 at the ripe age of 37. He's a talented player and he deserves more respect.

He's unquestionably the worst Rocket Richard winner. Maybe he would have been a 30 goal scorer without Joe Thornton... then again, Dustin Penner scored 32 playing with Sam Gagner and Gilbert Brule one year. A 30 goal season is a good season, but it isn't particularly noteworthy on its own.

Yeah he had a good shot... but he also happened to play on a line with a guy who put up back to back 90 assist seasons. Something no one had done in 10 years and no one has done since.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Foot injuries but also those hernia issues.

(At first I was thinking of someone else and said wrist)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rattie is very skilled. He was in a bit of a tough spot in St. Louis being a young scoring RW on a team with Tarasenko and a lot of depth on the wing, plus a coach who likes guys who think defense first. If all goes well he could score 25 goals in that spot. But he is likely to have his ups and downs so a key will be how patient McLellan is with him during the down times.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Cheechoo was very good, the problem is that he was very good for a short period of time. We're talking about a window of less than 3 years where he was producing as a first liner at the NHL level.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Cheechoo was very good, the problem is that he was very good for a short period of time. We're talking about a window of less than 3 years where he was producing as a first liner at the NHL level.

That’s also because he had a severe alcohol problem.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Everytime I hear Cheechoo's name, I flashback to this. I thought the game and basically the series was going to be over.

Look at all the "no name" wingers Crosby has had...players similar to Rattie who were on cheap contracts but they just meshed well. Sometimes chemistry is found where you'd least expect to find it.

Rattie obviously worked his arse off all spring and summer to have the camp he's having and was given a strategy from Mclellan on what he needed to see in order to stay with McDavid.

So far it looks like Rattie took the advice to heart. I'm going to temper expectations as well but holy balls, that trio has me a tad giddy the way they read off of each other. Chemistry isn't taught or learned. It's either there or it isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad