Player Discussion Ty Rattie

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
So what if he is a product of those two. Matt Moulson was a product of John Tavares as well but I think his 3 straight 30 goal seasons were still a good thing. If Rattie can do what he has done with those two...take advantage of his chances and not get in the way for what they will pay him it is a huge win for the team. If he can't you waive him and what have you lost.
Matt Moulson was an NHL player with out Tavares, Rattie isn’t without McDavid, it’s a big difference. I’d sign him since he’s showed he worked when Caggiula/Slepyshev won’t with McDavid but he’s proved he can’t do anything with out him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Matt Moulson was an NHL player with out Tavares, Rattie isn’t without McDavid, it’s a big difference. I’d sign him since he’s showed he worked when Caggiula/Slepyshev won’t with McDavid but he’s proved he can’t do anything with out him.
Matt Moulson was 26 years old with 29 NHL games under his belt when he went to the Islanders. In no way was he a proven NHL player. Rattie is basically in the same place. His problem has been that he has never improved his defensive game. That has a lot more to do with him not being given a shot than anything else. He has skill and in this case he has what might be his perfect opportunity to take advantage of it. It's up to him if he does or not. But if he can't you simply send him to Bak.

Reactions: VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He played with McDavid and RNH, the 2 games RNH was injured Rattie did absolutely nothing. He’s a product of them and nothing more. Signing this guy and thinking a guy who didn’t even put up a PPG in the AHL is the solution to our scoring problems would be so stupid and so Oilers.
You need to watch players more , I watched Rattie a ton when he was in junior He and RNH were the 2 top bantam picks coming into the whl Rattie has always made centers look Good Johansson Baertchi Petan just to name a few , he knows where to go and has great offensive skills , I knew we had a hidden gem in him , and Mcdavid does not need anyone to make him look good but Rattie sure does not hurt him, and Mcdavid has put up his best numbers with him and Nuge

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do think that someone like JP is a better talent, but Rattie is older and maybe more desperate since this could be his last shot at an NHL career and big money. Even if that big money ends up being 2-3 million, that's still a crazy high amount for someone's future.

And besides, since Rattie has such good chemistry on that top line, it makes our lineup deep since we could put players like JP and Reider in lower spots.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wonder if he is the next Marchessault. Good skilled guy, never really given a shot. Goes to a team that goes, "why not" and boom.

He played well everywhere he was though.

What you're describing is the next MSL.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I do think that someone like JP is a better talent, but Rattie is older and maybe more desperate since this could be his last shot at an NHL career and big money. Even if that big money ends up being 2-3 million, that's still a crazy high amount for someone's future.

And besides, since Rattie has such good chemistry on that top line, it makes our lineup deep since we could put players like JP and Reider in lower spots.
JP will have a better career better skater about the same shot , Rattie plays his position better knows where to go , but JP will get there as well , it just drives me nuts on all the negative remarks on Rattie when he was 1st signed here and people pretending they knew about a player they never watched before , Rattie has always had the skill elite junior player burried behind Tarasenko and Oshie in STL now we have that very skilled player showing us why he was a junior standout .

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
He played well everywhere he was though.

What you're describing is the next MSL.
Marchessault didn't crack Tampa's roster until he was 25. Rattie is 25. For what it's worth, St. Louis also had his breakout at 25.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Marchessault didn't crack Tampa's roster until he was 25. Rattie is 25. For what it's worth, St. Louis also had his breakout at 25.

Marchessault is an interesting comparison for Rattie.
Man...if he can be THAT player for this team this season that would be massive.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ty Mutha F***** Rattie

Guy has good hockey IQ and skill. It's all about working hard, which he looks like he is doing.
last season, Rattie's MO was that he was so smart and could find open areas, but that his finish had much to be desired. If he gets some decent finish on his shots, the sky's the limit for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So Ok, a week ago I was hearing on this board from several people that Rattie didn't have hockey smarts, doesn't have IQ, and its why he's always been a fail as an NHl player. How about that.

I didn't buy it and don't now. Rattie thinking the game extremely well and not looking one bit off on the topline. FLYING.

4 goals for Rattie so far all deserved and some beauty setups as well. This guy is fitting right in. So much filthy talent.

Its one of those feel good stories Oilers fans. This guy is going to do well here and he just needed a change of scenery and the right situation. He's rocking that so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel like I'm seeing a new player, so confident and effective. Generating turn overs and just really playing well

Anything that happened for Tyler Johnson in Tampa can happen for Rattie here. No reason it couldn't. Put him with talent and watch him fly. I actually prefer Rattie.

some guys take more time and opportunities. Rattie is loving it here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Would be great if Rattie had a great year.

Unfortunately it would likely price him off the team. Just like with Pulju, anything more than ~20/20 and we probably can't afford the next contract for him.

The true test for Rattie is going to be what does he look like during the regular season in the times he isn't playing with McDavid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Unfortunately it would likely price him off the team. Just like with Pulju, anything more than ~20/20 and we probably can't afford the next contract for him.

The true test for Rattie is going to be what does he look like during the regular season in the times he isn't playing with McDavid.
I don't think Rattie being good would price him off the team. I think he is still a RFA after this contract so if he has a great year we do a 3 mill bridge till he is a UFA and go from there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

yeah, he'll probably get a mix. The lineup isn't too defensive minded and isn't going to work against all clubs. Sometimes we'll insert somebody else on the wing, not sure who at this point.

I have to think though if any player was going to give a hometown discount and want to it would be a Ty Rattie playing topline here with a legend. I mean that's worth more than money and Rattie seems like the type that is jumping at the chance of starting something special here. You could see that buzz in him, that excitement last season, and just continuing. This is his chance. I don't know if he'd want to walk away from it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think Rattie being good would price him off the team. I think he is still a RFA after this contract so if he has a great year we do a 3 mill bridge till he is a UFA and go from there.

Yeah...I agree. Its not much of an issue really. His success will obviously be in large part to playing with McDavid.
So that will hurt him somewhat in his next RFA contract negotiations.
If Rattie is successful his contract doesn't really become an issue for a few years yet. At that point his role will be filled by a younger player.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

He'll be an RFA, and lets be real... He's an Alberta kid who is playing with McDavid. If he lights it up, I think he seriously considers a hometown discount. Whether he lights it up or not; and if he does if he takes the discount or not, I don't know. Hard to leave big money like that on the table.

But, there is more to life than money; certainly any NHL player has more than enough. I look at a guy like Rob Brown, and you ask him if he woulda stayed by Lemieux if he had a chance... He probably would say yes today.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad