Player Discussion Ty Rattie

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ty Rattie the guy I wanted the oilers to pick in the 2011 draft. Instead we took musil and rattie went one pick later. :eek:

Reactions: LTIR

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's played what, 3 exhibition games this year, after a 14 game stint last year, and we're already talking contract?

Whoa. Just a tad premature, but certainly no something that is a surprise on this site. The usual fan boys wetting themselves after a nice stint.

Let's see how he's doing in January/February before making long term plans for him.
That and who the hell cares if he over prices himself? If he becomes good enough that we deal him and get an asset for him that's great for the club. If he is only good enough to be a filler on one of those RW spots for a few months that's also good.

The guy was reaching bust area after being a highly touted prospect at one time. The fact that he has turned that his now in a position to play top 6 for the team is a win for him and the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And he wrecked his back in the playoffs, had surgery and was never the same again.
I thought he blew his knee out?

Ty Rattie the guy I wanted the oilers to pick in the 2011 draft. Instead we took musil and rattie went one pick later. :eek:
Ya I wanted him Jurco or Jenner. Musil I somewhat liked, but not in the 2nd.

Also really wanted McNeil. Glad he went one before Klef.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Be our Guentzel Mr. Rattie, you know you wanna.

How Rattie has played in his brief time with McDavid is exactly the kind of player we need to keep finding (as ones we have start costing too much and need to be replaced). Guys that have some decent speed (don't need to be blazing), know how to find open ice, can take a quick accurate 1-timer (doesn't really have to be a rocket) and have ice water in their veins when they have a chance at some open net. Really thought Ebs could be the perfect guy for this, but the 1-timer just was not there.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I remember following Rattie in Jr, I was so sure he was going to be a star. His biggest problem was his footspeed, just way too slow for the top 6 and his defensive game was non-existent. His footspeed is night and day compared to last year. His game should fit with 97 and 93 very well, similar to Maroons. Excited to have him on the team for sure.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Be our Guentzel Mr. Rattie, you know you wanna.

How Rattie has played in his brief time with McDavid is exactly the kind of player we need to keep finding (as ones we have start costing too much and need to be replaced). Guys that have some decent speed (don't need to be blazing), know how to find open ice, can take a quick accurate 1-timer (doesn't really have to be a rocket) and have ice water in their veins when they have a chance at some open net. Really thought Ebs could be the perfect guy for this, but the 1-timer just was not there.

A team of hungry Las Vegas type players who feel slighted or something to prove. Cheap motivation.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
So do you think he is going to pan out as a true first line player or is the hype over the top?
He has the IQ to play with Nuge and Mcdavid, just needs to keep up this forchecking and going to the net. Easier said than done but it’s his last shot if it dosent work out so I would bet on him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has the IQ to play with Nuge and Mcdavid, just needs to keep up this forchecking and going to the net. Easier said than done but it’s his last shot if it dosent work out so I would bet on him.
It's going to be interesting. At 25 there is still room for him to develop.

Does he stick around long enough to start developing other parts of his game? Parts that allow him to stay in the lineup when he's not producing?

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
So do you think he is going to pan out as a true first line player or is the hype over the top?

I took him in my pool. He's an extremely low cost pickup (in both pool terms and in real life) with a strong potential to drastically outproduce his salary, since the 1st line spot appears to be his to lose. Rattie's opportunity to ride shotgun to McDavid and Nuge in a year where the team desperately needs a bounce-back performance is the very definition of low risk/high reward...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a little upset about Rishaug on Gregor's show yesterday.

For years Gregor, Struds, Rishaug and others tell us to take it easy don't be so concerned with 4th liners or extras. Yesterday Rishaug goes on a huge tangent about Rattie is getting screwed for no reason other than Hitch doesn't like him.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the guy, but it's quite clear this year that there are spots up for grabs and when it's your turn don't take it for granted. If you get hurt it's gonna be tough to get back in.

We also don't know what is happening in practice. The suggestion was Rattie should play on 4th instead of Russell. Do we know that Rattie is even outplaying Russell in practice?

Hitch also had this kid for 5 or 6 years. If he doesn't think Rattie is a fit then I don't know that we can exactly blame him.

Reactions: LaGu

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm a little upset about Rishaug on Gregor's show yesterday.

For years Gregor, Struds, Rishaug and others tell us to take it easy don't be so concerned with 4th liners or extras. Yesterday Rishaug goes on a huge tangent about Rattie is getting screwed for no reason other than Hitch doesn't like him.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the guy, but it's quite clear this year that there are spots up for grabs and when it's your turn don't take it for granted. If you get hurt it's gonna be tough to get back in.

We also don't know what is happening in practice. The suggestion was Rattie should play on 4th instead of Russell. Do we know that Rattie is even outplaying Russell in practice?

Hitch also had this kid for 5 or 6 years. If he doesn't think Rattie is a fit then I don't know that we can exactly blame him.

It's extra weird because Rishaug was the one who asked the question at the pre-game presser where Hitch basically dispelled all of that.

Hitch said he likes him. He's a different player than when he had him there before. Plays on the right side of the puck and fights for space now. He's just trying to do something else with the depth right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's extra weird because Rishaug was the one who asked the question at the pre-game presser where Hitch basically dispelled all of that.

Hitch said he likes him. He's a different player than when he had him there before. Plays on the right side of the puck and fights for space now. He's just trying to do something else with the depth right now.
I just don't like how media seem to focus in on one player. Rishaug isn't the first to bring up that Rattie is screwed here either.

Guys waste their time worrying about the samething over and over, but don't ask any real questions. Kind of like last year's presser where they could've asked why PC was in charge of the Oil Kings. Instead they focused on Coffey and asked why do staff tell fans to be quiet at games. Week later Gregor came unglued about PC being in charge of everything and wasted blogs and air space asking the question to no one other than his co-hosts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->