GDT: Two nights after a 9:30 start, YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES are playing when? Canes v. Lightning Bugs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Their approach with the defense is how you do it. Don't invest a lot in the bottom pairing to start. 5, 6 and 7 are under $1 mil each. Leverage accrued cap space/deadline retention/LTIR space (in the event of injuries) to bring in a defender paid Top 4 money at the deadline for a playoff run.

I would argue, though, that if they find a fit like Ghost seems to be, they should stick with him for a season or two, if possible. The strategy that you mentioned is the best one if you don't know who's a fit or not.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Have to admit, I kind of overlooked what a key addition a QB type defenseman was. Ghost just doesn’t spring to mind as a guy I would want on my team, to be brutally honest, but he fills a niche here that might really change the entire calculus for how teams play against us.

Of course as @Canes just said, he will come back down to earth. But there’s a massive difference between him and Pesce or whatever running a PP unit.

The way he's playing on the PP doesn't allow teams to collapse down into a low box against us so we just pass around the perimeter.

The tape on us won't work anymore...we'll see how other teams adjust.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
We've missed (or perhaps I've missed) something with TT. IIRC, when he went out of the lineup, the cause was simply the nondescript "upper body injury". What I've noticed lately, and I don't think I'd seen this prior to the second half of this season, is a tinted visor. I believe it's similar to the one Matt Cullen (and others) have worn post-concussion.

Again, I may have missed something, but to my knowledge, we haven't discussed TT's return to the lineup in terms of recovering from a concussion. Certainly that could have affected his play as of late. Could it be that our boy is simply having a typical slow recovery from a concussion, and we've been too harsh on him?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
He's maybe slightly better than Burns at passing on the PP. And most likely a better shooter at this point in his career. But he's definitely going to "fizzle" out somewhat meaning he won't continue to shoot 40% as a Cane or anywhere close to it.

Don't get me wrong, he's a definite boost for the powerplay but people should probably temper their expectations a bit especially in the playoffs where Ghost has only 5 points in 17 games in his career.

I wouldn't disagree that it's almost impossible for him to continue at the pace he's started off at, and that he's most likely already generated subconscious expectations that can't be met. But it wouldn't surprise me if adding Ghost proves to have a synergistic impact on this Canes team. If anyone is unfamiliar with the term, synergy refers to factors that, when combined have a greater impact then the sum of their individual parts.

[even though I agree with much of your post, not sure about your timing in expressing those views, lol]

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Not a Cane for long, but Recchi as well. Counts for Montreal too, though. But he has a Canes logo tatooed on him and no Habs logo with it, so that's something.

Also, Guy Carbonneau went in not too long ago, and he played until 2000- so this whole thing is wrong for both teams.
I mean of all the guys with retired numbers as a cane though, Francis is the only one in the HOF. He was drafted by the whalers. Then was our captain. How do people not know he's in the hof

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Also, Guy Carbonneau went in not too long ago, and he played until 2000- so this whole thing is wrong for both teams.

How did Guy Cabornneau make it before Rod? I mean...he's important...clearly....they named car wax after the guy but...for real?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh I was thinking that players went in to the hall with a specific team associated to them like in baseball but I guess that’s not the case in hockey. I don’t really pay attention to that shit. But Francis clearly would have gone in as a Hurricane/Whaler so that point is moot anyway.

And seriously, f*** Carboload. Dude does not come close to an HOFer. Can’t believe Rod isn’t in compared to some of these picks.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In regards to looking ahead to next season and Gostisbehere…

If ever there were just one season to overspend on a 3rd pair D, next season is it. If he’d be willing to take a short term deal, there would be zero cap issues…next year. However, the year after that…

Probably much to early to even begin to think about re-signing him, but he’s been quite the fit so far. And it’s not like it’s anything to really worry about, if keeps anywhere close to his current pace, that’s great for the rest of the season and playoffs. He’d be pricing himself right out of CAR anyway.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I mean of all the guys with retired numbers as a cane though, Francis is the only one in the HOF. He was drafted by the whalers. Then was our captain. How do people not know he's in the hof
I was only going for cheap shop over how Rod has been disregarded and didn't really put in the work. HHOF altogether is a very distant concept for me, which only adds to my amusement that someone should pick that up as the ultimate show of hockey cred instead of, for example, I don't know, who has won the Stanley Cup more recently.

But, the HHOF pointer of the aspiring Canes disbarrager being factually wrong is hilarious.

Reactions: cptjeff and geehaad

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
We've missed (or perhaps I've missed) something with TT. IIRC, when he went out of the lineup, the cause was simply the nondescript "upper body injury". What I've noticed lately, and I don't think I'd seen this prior to the second half of this season, is a tinted visor. I believe it's similar to the one Matt Cullen (and others) have worn post-concussion.

Again, I may have missed something, but to my knowledge, we haven't discussed TT's return to the lineup in terms of recovering from a concussion. Certainly that could have affected his play as of late. Could it be that our boy is simply having a typical slow recovery from a concussion, and we've been too harsh on him?
And with the grandfather passing away last week. We obviously don’t know how close they were but I can’t imagine that’s an easy thing to deal with being on a totally different continent.

I really loved how happy everyone was when he scored his third goal, Jarvis was literally jumping up and down.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Was driving all day so recorded this and just watched it. Oh man what a perfect f***ing game. Incredible. Hope Hedman is ok. And who woulda thought that Ghost Bear was the missing piece for our PP. f***ing 7 of 9 since getting him and he has 2 of those goals with a few more assists.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
You are better man than I am.

I’d make a few exceptions.
No,

8A65BFD7-FA5B-4D00-8EF4-8D8E5E97AEDB.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad