TSN: Two Leafs ranked in the Top 50

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If all goes well, the big three will all be in the top 50 next year. The list is subjective and means nothing. Sit back and enjoy what we haven't had since the Sittler, McDonald and Salming days 40 years ago.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think it'll be fine. People still like and enjoy both players, which was often not true in the Kadri vs Bozak discussions.

Exactly. I am still not a big Bozak fan but can say he does a better job now under Babcock. Kadri is just gold regardless.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
lol considering the amount of whinging from the other fanbases that Matthews is top ten. they might have been better served having none in there :laugh:

:laugh: It's pretty funny we have posts saying Marner is only on the list because of Leaf bias and then others say Nylander is off the list so TSN won't appear biased.

The thought that they could possibly rank the players based on how the votes were cast couldn't possibly be how the list was put together.

Both are great players and Nylander most likely isn't that far behind Marner if the list went past 50.
Not that I think it will happen but Nylander could certainly pass him one day, no doubt he closed the gap considerably over the course of last season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think it'll be fine. People still like and enjoy both players, which was often not true in the Kadri vs Bozak discussions.

Discussions will happen. There is a laundry list of potentially controversial topics like how much should each be paid, who should play with Matthews, if under a future cap crunch which one should be traded, who is the better leader, who is the better defensive player, why did one get picked for the All Star game and the other didn't, etc. There's nothing wrong with these discussions. They're the bread and butter of this site. It's the ability to emotionally handle reading an opposing view that gets tested.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The team I think to beat in the Atlantic Tampa Bay being the cream of the crop of the Div. has 3 players in the top 17..

#7 Kucherov, #9 Hedman and #17 Stamkos.

Montreal and Boston also have 3 players in the top 50.

Montreal: #5 Price, #42 Weber, #43 Pacioretty
Boston: #18 Marchand, #25 Bergeron, #36 Pastrnak

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After watching the show on TV last night they said Marner #50 beat out #51 Phil Kessel and Taylor Hall both tied just outside the top 50.

With Kessel it was interesting in that he was in the top 50 for 4X straight when he was a Leaf on a bad team, and now in Pittsburgh on a Cup winning team he has been out of the top 50 for 2 straight years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As of last season Kucherov is a better player currently so it's not really that funny

Kucherov ties Matthews with 40 goals but finished 5th in NHL scoring with 85 points 40-45-85 points vs. Matthews 40-29-69 points.

So it rather easy to make a case for Kucherov to be ahead of Matthews. The only argument would be that Austin is a C and more impactfull because of position than Kucherov who is a winger.

However Kucherov missed Stamkos for 60+ games last year so those 2 together on the TB PP all year might see both finish ahead of Matthews in points this year.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
John Tavares is one of my favourites. I can't believe my thought process now is that I would rather have Nylander...but I would.

I don't know whether I should be excited about that sentiment or scared. 37 years as a Leaf fan has left me shell shocked, dag nabbit.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
After this season there will be no more doubt with Matthews. He'll take his place at the very top with Crosby mcdavid Karlsson and price

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kucherov ties Matthews with 40 goals but finished 5th in NHL scoring with 85 points 40-45-85 points vs. Matthews 40-29-69 points.

So it rather easy to make a case for Kucherov to be ahead of Matthews. The only argument would be that Austin is a C and more impactfull because of position than Kucherov who is a winger.

However Kucherov missed Stamkos for 60+ games last year so those 2 together on the TB PP all year might see both finish ahead of Matthews in points this year.
In past years I remember Duthie has said they put more emphases on those who play centre, compared to those who play as a winger. That's why Phil Kessel was ranked very low despite all the goals and points he put up when he was a Maple Leaf. So based on that criteria I would have ranked Matthews ahead of Kucherov, however that's just me because Matthews did all that playing as a rookie from his 1st NHL game all the way to Game 6 against Washington.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
God forbid the TSN staff appear to look homer-ish.

BTW these lists don't really matter.
Those on the main board who talk about TSN catering to the Leafs fans having Matthews at #10 and Marner at #50, the Winnipeg Jets had 3 players on this list (Scheifele, Wheeler, and Laine) and the Jets didn't make the playoffs last season. If team success was a factor why not replace Wheeler with Nylander, however I do agree in the end this list doesn't matter a whole lot.

Reactions: Anthrax442

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I liked the retake the TSN guys had wrt who was over/under-rated. I agree with their saying Werenski should have been higher than Marner as he plays a more important position and was higher in the Calder voting.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Look forward to seeing Marner get man-stregnth. Right now I would give the edge to Nylander.

Off Topic - Is this new forum roasting anyone else's eyes or is it just me? Is there a way to switch back to the old format or no?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We are going to have more players in top 50 in near future - Nylander deserved to be a top 50

I hope Rielly and Kadri can make this list as soon as next year

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I foresee a couple of Selke trophies in Matthews' career. In his first year, his defensive skills were honestly fantastic for a rookie. Watch for him to be even better this year. Also, he is a masterful puck thief, already one of the best in the league.

Reactions: ToneDog and cookie

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I foresee a couple of Selke trophies in Matthews' career. In his first year, his defensive skills were honestly fantastic for a rookie. Watch for him to be even better this year. Also, he is a masterful puck thief, already one of the best in the league.
We need to somehow pry a guy like Stone from the Sens so we have puck thieves on basically every line--Matthews, Stone, Nylander...jeez

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Those on the main board who talk about TSN catering to the Leafs fans having Matthews at #10 and Marner at #50, the Winnipeg Jets had 3 players on this list (Scheifele, Wheeler, and Laine) and the Jets didn't make the playoffs last season. If team success was a factor why not replace Wheeler with Nylander, however I do agree in the end this list doesn't matter a whole lot.

We'll see what happens in the end of the year. The season starts next week, and there will be little time for this type of foolishness.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We need to somehow pry a guy like Stone from the Sens so we have puck thieves on basically every line--Matthews, Stone, Nylander...jeez
Forgot Marner, he may currently be the best on the Team.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Literally think Nylander is a better player than Marner ..... I know I'm not alone.

I'm on board with this. I don't think it is much of a gap, its about as close as 2 players could be, but if I had to choose an order as of today, its Matthews >>>> Nylander >= Marner. But again, its super close between the 2

Reactions: TimeZone

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In past years I remember Duthie has said they put more emphases on those who play centre, compared to those who play as a winger. That's why Phil Kessel was ranked very low despite all the goals and points he put up when he was a Maple Leaf. So based on that criteria I would have ranked Matthews ahead of Kucherov, however that's just me because Matthews did all that playing as a rookie from his 1st NHL game all the way to Game 6 against Washington.

If I had my choice even if Kuch is ranked higher would take Matthews 10 out 10 times because of position.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If I had my choice even if Kuch is ranked higher would take Matthews 10 out 10 times because of position.
That's what everyone else says when debating between a player at centre compared to a winger. Now when you look at a centre like Auston Matthews it makes choosing him even easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad