TSN: Two Leafs ranked in the Top 50

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Not sure how Nylander doesn't crack the top 50 but oh well.

Matthews is also going to be top 10 on the NHL.com's ranking as well which will release soon.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I posted in the marner thread by accident. But Nylander I believe gets underrated by the media especially Toronto media, Marner and Nyladner are near identical level talents so if one is 50 the other has to be 51.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If you think the two are really close, then Marner gets the edge because he's a year younger?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Literally think Nylander is a better player than Marner ..... I know I'm not alone.
At this point probably. Having a year of development ahead and having a more pro ready frame is to his benefit as well. I'm just glad we don't have to choose and can watch both of these talents for years to come.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If you think the two are really close, then Marner gets the edge because he's a year younger?

personally I think Nylander is better, but absolutely I bet age was considered and if they need a tie breaker its a fair reason to use. I cant open the link but they had the 51 player so I assume they had HM's and Nylander wasn't one of them they aren't 10 spots away fomr each other. If Marner was 50 id say Nylander would have to be in the next 5 at worst

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
At this point probably. Having a year of development ahead and having a more pro ready frame is to his benefit as well. I'm just glad we don't have to choose and can watch both of these talents for years to come.

This is assuming Marner will get a "pro ready frame". I can't see him getting much bigger but I could be wrong. Maybe he gets those MSL tree trunks

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Austin comes in at #10 and Mitch grabs the last spot at #50 on TSN ranking.

If you at only forwards dropping Karlsson, Price, Burns and Hedman from the top 10 then Matthews is considered the 6th best forward in the game based on these rankings.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If you at only forwards dropping Karlsson, Price, Burns and Hedman from the top 10 then Matthews is considered the 6th best forward in the game based on these rankings.

If you remove defencemen and goalies, where does Marner rank?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Literally think Nylander is a better player than Marner ..... I know I'm not alone.

I give Marner an edge in terms of creativity and playmaking ability, but I agree that Nylander is the better overall player at this point.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
If you remove defencemen and goalies, where does Marner rank?

#33 by my count.

Nylander's exclusion is surprising from my perspective, but just as surprising perhaps is Nazem Kadri's exclusion - maybe even more so.

That being said, these lists are tough to make, and you're always going to exclude good players.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

And the declining Johnny T is #9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad