TSN: Two Leafs ranked in the Top 50

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You can make a fair argument for Nylander or Marner, both were candidates in those last couple spots. Marner's a year younger and had a better ppg. Nylander's season is more repeatable and he has the stronger underlying numbers. My guess is Nylander has the better season this year, but Marner has the chance of being a superstar this year too.

I think it will be a lot tougher for Marner to put up the 75-80+ points I expect Nylander to put up this year if healthy because he’s going to be on the second unit for PP, get less ES time.

The benefit is that his line is likely to face easier competition.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nylander will be ahead of Marner and Pastrnak next season. Book it. The kid is so freaking underrated it's become laughable. It we didn't have Matthews he'd be unanimously considered a future elite #1C and a eventual top 15 player. His low on ice sh% will even out next season and he'll finish with monster numbers. His post ASB stats and WHC MVP just make it a no brainier for me.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Literally think Nylander is a better player than Marner ..... I know I'm not alone.

I agree 100% with you. I think Nylander is gonna have a monster year and all is Leaf fans are going to be pissed at Lou for not signing him for cheap.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Literally think Nylander is a better player than Marner ..... I know I'm not alone.

Nylander; is better at shooting the puck yes (his shot ) & scoring goals yes . as a center man yes ( even tho he plays wing right now , he is a better center if you ever got to see those 2 play center games like i have live ), Cycle game , accuracy in shot , and i also think confidence for the success he had last year with Matthews .

Marner; is better defensively , better at a 61 meter game ( 200 feet ) , play maker , passing , skating , Hockey IQ .

Nylander is better in some spots than Marner, but marner is better in some spots as well.

IMO i just like the tool box marner carries a little more , he's not gonna score as many goals as willy but he gets the job done in different areas

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Nylander; is better at shooting the puck yes (his shot ) & scoring goals yes . as a center man yes ( even tho he plays wing right now , he is a better center if you ever got to see those 2 play center games like i have live ), Cycle game , accuracy in shot , and i also think confidence for the success he had last year with Matthews .

Marner; is better defensively , better at a 61 meter game ( 200 feet ) , play maker , passing , skating , Hockey IQ .

Nylander is better in some spots than Marner, but marner is better in some spots as well.

IMO i just like the tool box marner carries a little more , he's not gonna score as many goals as willy but he gets the job done in different areas

What?

Nylander is both one of the fastest and most agile players in the league. Marner is good but he doesn't touch Nylander's skating. Willy is not only faster and equally agile, but he's much stronger on his skates as well.

I think Nylander brings more to the table with his transition game, he basically takes over the PMD's job half the time.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
nylander has been the more prolific player even before auston matthews played

remember how good william was when he was called up

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
As a Leafs fan the bias TSN gave the leafs is too much. Marner over Kessel, Mackinnon, O'Rielly seems weird. I guess they went with the homer pick. Also, Eichel deserves more love. I expect his stats to be similar or surpass Matthews this year. The difference isn't as big as TSN would like it to be.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner is better then Nylander. Marner will be Kane level elite.

What is he better at? Attitude? He doesn't have Nylander on Shot, Speed, strength or any of the sub metrics. He edges Nylander at playmaking I guess. Enter zone buttonhooks sweet pass was starting to not work for him so well at the end of the season when it gets physical. Did you notice teams started playing him rough? Because he doesn't have Nylander speed they would steer and rub him out against the boards.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I agree 100% with you. I think Nylander is gonna have a monster year and all is Leaf fans are going to be pissed at Lou for not signing him for cheap.
why would I be pissed off with LL for not signing him cheap? Who says Nylander even wants to sign right now. Maybe he signs for a bit cheaper to help the team. Maybe you could give me this weeks lotto numbers.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What is he better at? Attitude? He doesn't have Nylander on Shot, Speed, strength or any of the sub metrics. He edges Nylander at playmaking I guess. Enter zone buttonhooks sweet pass was starting to not work for him so well at the end of the season when it gets physical. Did you notice teams started playing him rough? Because he doesn't have Nylander speed they would steer and rub him out against the boards.

who cares, they are identical talents in my eyes so Nylander should be no worse than "55" if the list was top 100. Its clear what happened here TSN didnt want to appear to be appealing to the leafs fans so the we had 2 players who would rank anywhere 45-55 so they decided to just put one inm to stop the whinging from all the other canadian fanbases

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
who cares, they are identical talents in my eyes so Nylander should be no worse than "55" if the list was top 100. Its clear what happened here TSN didnt want to appear to be appealing to the leafs fans so the we had 2 players who would rank anywhere 45-55 so they decided to just put one inm to stop the whinging from all the other canadian fanbases

lol considering the amount of whinging from the other fanbases that Matthews is top ten. they might have been better served having none in there :laugh:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Honestly, I think Marner's playmaking will prove to be on a completely different level. At times, it's wizardry. It's like he has eyes on the back of the head. I think he has the potential to be the best playmaker in the NHL. His competition in that regard is McDavid

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If that's how the methodolgy, it tells me TSN is worthless when it comes to ranking then. Nylander was even more highly decorated over the year. 2x ROTM, Tournament MVP. More goals and same points playing harder minutes. They just wanted the Toranna boy in there for some sweet Cherry love Ehhhh, Okaaay! Attaboy!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly, I think Marner's playmaking will prove to be on a completely different level. At times, it's wizardry. It's like he has eyes on the back of the head. I think he has the potential to be the best playmaker in the NHL. His competition in that regard is McDavid

Wizardly yeah when it doesn't get picked off. Nylander is like the Engineer out there and Mitch the riverboat gambler. If you aren't following, Nylander makes it work nearly all the time, every pass hits the mark. Nobody reads the ice as well as Nylander save for Matthews and that is a debate. Matthews most talented overall obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad