TV: Twilight Zone (2019)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Each time that you post a glowing review of an episode, I consider watching the series, but then you post an abysmal review for the next episode and I get turned right back off again. Even if I love half of the episodes, it doesn't seem worth it if I hate the other half.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Each time that you post a glowing review of an episode, I consider watching the series, but then you post an abysmal review for the next episode and I get turned right back off again. Even if I love half of the episodes, it doesn't seem worth it if I hate the other half.
Tonight was the worst episode yet, and by a wide margin.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The biggest problem I have with this version of the Twlight Zone is how overt their social commentary is. What made the original so memorable was the balance of storytelling and social commentary. You had to actually think to understand an episode's undertone. Peele's version just lays it all out there and is overt about it which hurts the plor of many of its episodes.

It's a real shame as I had high hopes for Peele, so far his version has been underwhelming to say the least.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The biggest problem I have with this version of the Twlight Zone is how overt their social commentary is. What made the original so memorable was the balance of storytelling and social commentary. You had to actually think to understand an episode's undertone. Peele's version just lays it all out there and is overt about it which hurts the plor of many of its episodes.

It's a real shame as I had high hopes for Peele, so far his version has been underwhelming to say the least.
I don't mind social commentary but, as you said, it is not only there, it is there is BOLD letters and underlined. The episodes are so preachy, they are painful to watch.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I don't mind social commentary but, as you said, it is not only there, it is there is BOLD letters and underlined. The episodes are so preachy, they are painful to watch.
I agree, effective blend of social commentary and plot is what differentiates the twlight zone in my opinion from other serial sci-fi shows. But for it to be effective, it has to be stimulating for the viewer and this version is not. They are taking social issues but arent portraying it in a different light than what people see from other sources.

It feels like Peele is so focused on ensuring that the commentary is understood by viewers that he is sacrificing compling storytelling. He needs to trust that viewers will understand an episode's message when it's not overtly stated.

Reactions: SniperHF

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree, effective blend of social commentary and plot is what differentiates the twlight zone in my opinion from other serial sci-fi shows. But for it to be effective, it has to be stimulating for the viewer and this version is not. They are taking social issues but arent portraying it in a different light than what people see from other sources.

It feels like Peele is so focused on ensuring that the commentary is understood by viewers that he is sacrificing compling storytelling. He needs to trust that viewers will understand an episode's message when it's not overtly stated.
Agree. It is social commentary first, story second. The original was the opposite.

Edit : The new one is social commentary first, second and third. Story pulling up the rear.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Two weeks ago was very good, last week was beyond bad.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether tonight's episode will be junk?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Two weeks ago was very good, last week was beyond bad.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether tonight's episode will be junk?

We'll find out early in the episode how bad or good it is. I find once you watch one seen you generally get a sense whether the social commentary will be blatant or not.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
...and it took a whole two minutes for the moral to be delivered with all the nuance of a brick in the face. The only thing good about the Immigrants are good! episode was that guy who showed up in the prison about halfway through to lead Eve out of her block, and that's because it reminded me he played Martin, the leader of the energy vampires in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Service. It's a gloriously weird, much better show filmed in Vancouver and sadly only lasted two seasons. It's on Netflix. Go check it out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Am I the only who feels that some some of these episodes leave way too much stuff out on certain areas? Sort of like you wish they'd expand on the subject matter more? This week's episode had a creepy feeling and yes, I get the real world comparisons, but I kind of wanted to find out more about how and when these people began to appear from other dimensions. There were a bunch of episodes from the 80's Twilight Zone that made me want to see more as well. I can't remember specific episodes but I remember watching them in the summer with my cousins and hoping we'd see more of "that stuff".

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
My biggest gripe with this week's episode was the execution of its premise. If we learned a bit more behind the pilgrims then as a viewer the whole situation would be meaningful. Like if they came from an Earth that was destroyed through nuclear war (Like the people in Six Degrees of Seperation). Not only would the viewer connect more with the pilgrims but it would be a nice tie into a previous episode.

This is probably my biggest problem with this season so far. Each episode does have a good-decent premise but the execution is not there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
My biggest gripe with this week's episode was the execution of its premise. If we learned a bit more behind the pilgrims then as a viewer the whole situation would be meaningful. Like if they came from an Earth that was destroyed through nuclear war (Like the people in Six Degrees of Seperation). Not only would the viewer connect more with the pilgrims but it would be a nice tie into a previous episode.

This is probably my biggest problem with this season so far. Each episode does have a good-decent premise but the execution is not there.

Yeah the whole other dimension was just thrown in our face and left there, without going further into it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Twilight Zone / Episode 9 / The Blue Scorpion [2019] :

* A gun has a mind all its own.

The 2019 Twilight Zone produces week after week of crap, and then, every so often, when it's NOT trying to teach us a lesson, it surprises to the upside. This was one of those weeks.

8/10

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, that was better. The moral was still of course brick wall obvious, but actually had a show in there this time.

Still should have really stuck to the half-hour format.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, that was better. The moral was still of course brick wall obvious, but actually had a show in there this time.

Still should have really stuck to the half-hour format.
What was the moral? I didn't feel there was one.

Edit : I thought about it. Perhaps it was a pushback to the old saying, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Agree. 30 minutes would be better.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah the whole other dimension was just thrown in our face and left there, without going further into it.

I think that was the point, to have the viewer feel her confusion and helplessness. I really enjoyed the episode - the parallels weren’t exact, but they were close enough to illustrate the point, which is timely and important with all the immigration debate going on.

Reactions: Jussi

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
What was the moral? I didn't feel there was one.

Edit : I thought about it. Perhaps it was a pushback to the old saying, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Agree. 30 minutes would be better.
Peele said it at the end of the episode. As long as things are valued more than people, tragedy will follow. And I’m okay with the message being blunt with this show. It’s for an age where subtle messages often go unnoticed by most. Looking forward to the season finale tomorrow. It’s been a great first season.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Outer Limits is my favorite TV show of all time. I actually didn't watch the original series at all (before my time), but man I love the 90s/00s version.
Me too, phenomenal television. All of the seasons are on Amazon prime video.

Just wanted to chime in on some conversation from way earlier in thread. Black mirror is extremely overrated. There were a few great episodes and then a bunch of junk filler. San junipero, uss callister, nosedive, and be right back. If you haven't seen the show just watch those four episodes and skip the rest. Electric dreams doesn't have any episodes as good as those four, but as a whole the series is better than black mirror since every episode is good.

As far as anthology series go, obviously nothing will ever touch the original twilight zone. 80's twilight zone was good but if you watch it now it hasn't aged well. Same with tales from the darkside. The twilight zone from the early 2000's was hot garbage. 90's outer limits was great. Tales from the crypt was good but there was also a lot of filler episodes with that.

A couple of really underrated anthology series are The Hitchhiker which was on HBO in the early 80's, and Masters of horror which had a short run on Showtime around 2006 or 2007 I believe. The episode cigaratte burns which stars Norman Reedus and was directed by John Carpenter is amazing.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Twilight Zone / Episode 9 / The Blue Scorpion [2019] :

* A gun has a mind all its own.

The 2019 Twilight Zone produces week after week of crap, and then, every so often, when it's NOT trying to teach us a lesson, it surprises to the upside. This was one of those weeks.

8/10
Twilight Zone / Episode 10 / Blurryman [2019] :

* An episode within an episode.

Even at just over 30 minutes, it was too long. What a silly empty mess.

Season is finally over. I won't watch next year.

3.5/10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A couple of really underrated anthology series are The Hitchhiker which was on HBO in the early 80's, and Masters of horror which had a short run on Showtime around 2006 or 2007 I believe. The episode cigaratte burns which stars Norman Reedus and was directed by John Carpenter is amazing.

Hated Masters of Horror it was such a disappointment

The Hitchhiker was great and moved to USA for a few more seasons when HBO moved on from it. Sadly the series has never been released on DVD and likely wont ever be. Only can get some parts of series on DVD no complete seasons just that 30 or so episode DVD which had a lot of issues with tech/etc from what I heard

Amazing Stories was another good one from 80's that has been forgotten. I have season 1 on DVD but sadly again it doesn't appear anymore will be coming

Freddy's Nightmares was cheap , poorly acted , poor written but ultimately entertaining series that again doesn't appear will ever get DVD release sadly

Monsters is another underrated one and essentially the offshoot of Tales from the Darkside. Loved it growing up and its cheesy as f*** but man does it bring back great memories and I had to buy that on DVD when they released it

Hammer Horror:Series was a good 1 year UK anthology from early 80's. I enjoyed it and then never saw it again for 20+ years so when that came out on DVD I had to grab the series

That mediocre Tales from the Crypt follow up called "Perversions of Science" was another 1 yr anthology series that has vanished into history and probably will never come out on DVD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad