TV: Twilight Zone (2019)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I couldn't get through the first episode. that actor grates me.
^^ This. ^^

Well said - except I would pluralize "actor" - they were all annoying.
I thought the exact same thing but couldn't put it into words.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fairly enjoyable first two episodes. The pilot was a little too long. Surprised by so many f- and s-bombs but it felt more natural speak. Stand-up isn't PG-13 stuff.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I enjoyed both episodes generally. The first episode I thought had a good concept but was just too drawn out. It could have been a lot more concise with its runtime. The only problem I had with the last one is how everyone survived that plane crash and why was the air marshal that dismissive of the podcast. But heck it's the twlight zone so I'm thinking too much into technicalities. :laugh:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It was alright. Wish they rebooted the Outer Limits instead though again. Please Stand By...

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Kumail Nanjiani, both as an actor and comedian, so that pilot episode falling so flat really disappointed me.

Ive only seen the one episode. I really want this to be a good show, so will stick with it for a bit, but, it didn't get off to a strong start.

Biggest thing I felt was that this was way too long. There were a few moments where I was surprised that there was still so much left of the show. That episode could have been a 20-25 minute story, tops, as you knew where it was going within the first few minutes.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Haven't seen anything yet, but I've heard that episode 1 is 50+ minutes? I'm not sure why they would veer away from the 20-25 minute run-times of the original show.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Biggest thing I felt was that this was way too long. There were a few moments where I was surprised that there was still so much left of the show. That episode could have been a 20-25 minute story, tops, as you knew where it was going within the first few minutes.
^^ This. ^^

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Haven't seen anything yet, but I've heard that episode 1 is 50+ minutes? I'm not sure why they would veer away from the 20-25 minute run-times of the original show.
The plot of the pilot doesn't help - he's a comedian and a good chunk of the show is him on stage. Nothing he says is even close to being funny and it feel awkward / embarrassing / cringeworthy.

Avoid # 1 and jump to the 30 minute 2nd episode.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The plot of the pilot doesn't help - he's a comedian and a good chunk of the show is him on stage. Nothing he says is even close to being funny and it feel awkward / embarrassing / cringeworthy.

Avoid # 1 and jump to the 30 minute 2nd episode.

It wasn't meant to be funny. The point was that in that club the audience would only laugh when he mentioned someone he knew. It was plain in sight when all he had to do towards the end was just mention a name from his life and the audience would burst out laughing. Basically, you missed the major plot point.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It wasn't meant to be funny. The point was that in that club the audience would only laugh when he mentioned someone he knew. It was plain in sight when all he had to do towards the end was just mention a name from his life and the audience would burst out laughing. Basically, you missed the major plot point.

Personally, a plot that requires the viewer to watch that much "bad stand up" is just inherently flawed. If you're going with that approach, then cut out most of the stand up bits and show as little as you can get away with, or write witty bits that are entertaining that incorporate the name drops so the viewer doesn't have to suffer.

The other issue I have is that it's unclear what the moral of that episode was. As a comedian, was the right thing to do is not speak about personal elements from his life and stick to his unfunny political stuff?

It's just a puzzling episode all around.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was alright. Wish they rebooted the Outer Limits instead though again. Please Stand By...

I would settle for them releasing new non edited DVD's of the 90's version so I could actually buy them instead of getting severely edited versions

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Personally, a plot that requires the viewer to watch that much "bad stand up" is just inherently flawed. If you're going with that approach, then cut out most of the stand up bits and show as little as you can get away with, or write witty bits that are entertaining that incorporate the name drops so the viewer doesn't have to suffer.

The other issue I have is that it's unclear what the moral of that episode was. As a comedian, was the right thing to do is not speak about personal elements from his life and stick to his unfunny political stuff?

The moral of the story was how far a person is willing to go to succeed, how much are they willing to sacrifice, what price are they willing to pay to achieve what they want etc. The main character wanted to make people laugh in that club, no matter the cost or way. And for the purpose of displaying that with the character in this episode, I feel the episode was far longer than needed.

The only actual jokes were in the beginning, when he made fun of the kid and phone addiction. After he realized his "power", then it became more about mentioning names than making actually funny jokes about them. Then it also became evident that the audience in the club didn't laugh at jokes but him mentioning names, so the club and the JC whatever character are tied to the whole "experience".

Point being, I understood the the plot and theme, just not quite the fan of the execution (episode length 55 minutes).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

^^ I agree, 100%. ^^

Re : " a plot that requires the viewer to watch that much "bad stand up" is just inherently flawed. "

This is spot on. It's almost impossible to make it work.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I watched the second episode (missed the first one because of the Leafs game). It wasn't bad... fairly solid. I'll watch the show next week as well. Hopefully it'll be more successful than the previous relaunch in the 2000s (which wasn't bad, either).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I watched the second episode (missed the first one because of the Leafs game). It wasn't bad... fairly solid. I'll watch the show next week as well. Hopefully it'll be more successful than the previous relaunch in the 2000s (which wasn't bad, either).
It's hard to compete / follow a show of such iconic stature.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Fairly enjoyable first two episodes. The pilot was a little too long. Surprised by so many f- and s-bombs but it felt more natural speak. Stand-up isn't PG-13 stuff.

The last new series from this decade I watched was Zoo and I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to newer TV series...

How long have shows been allowed to say these words on basic cable? I don't remember ever having heard shit or the f word on basic cable previously. I was kind of surprised. Not that I have an objection or anything... just caught me off guard.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

The Outer Limits is my favorite TV show of all time. I actually didn't watch the original series at all (before my time), but man I love the 90s/00s version.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Twilight Zone / Episode 3 / Replay [2019] :

* A racist cop harasses a mother and her son.

Edgy and tense. A little too long, like all the episodes so far, but it's the best one yet.

7.5/10

Show Trailer :

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad