TV: Twilight Zone (2019)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

As a person who was fan of original as well as 1980's version I would love to be thrilled about this but given it will only be available to CBS All Access and I wont ever spend dime on that service I wont be seeing it

Starts April 1st , 2019

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I love the original. It is perfect that it is in black and white.

Why do I feel that another reboot of this just will not work with today’s audience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This seems like it's trying to rip off Black Mirror, which has been one of rival Netflix's longest-running series (I know that Netflix doesn't make it, but they distribute it). From MacGyver to Magnum PI to Star Trek to this, it seems like CBS doesn't green light anything these days unless you've heard of it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How is the reboot of probably the most famous anthology series in TV history a rip off of a British Anthology which itself cites Twilight Zone as major inspiration?

Black Mirror is not some unique show

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Night Gallery
Twilight Zone (1980's)
Tales from the Darkside
Friday the 13th the Series
Freddy's Nightmare's
Monsters
Tales from the Crypt
Perversions of Science
Outer Limits (1990's)
Twilight Zone (2002)

I could list others

Anthology Series existed long before Black Mirror

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How is the reboot of probably the most famous anthology series in TV history a rip off of a British Anthology which itself cites Twilight Zone as major inspiration?

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Night Gallery
Twilight Zone (1980's)
Tales from the Darkside
Freddy's Nightmare's
Tales from the Crypt
Perversions of Science
Outer Limits (1990's)
Twilight Zone (2002)

I could list others

It should've been obvious that I didn't mean that the show, itself, would be a rip-off. I meant that resurrecting the original anthology series seems suspiciously like a decision to follow Netflix and have an anthology series of their own. After all, Black Mirror helped to establish Netflix as a credible source of good, "original" series. CBS is desperate to add credibility to their own, similar service, so it's not hard to imagine that they're trying to answer and copy Netflix. "You have a hit [genre] show. Well, we'll resurrect the original [genre] show and lure subscribers with name recognition."

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I had a collection of Twilight Zone VHS tapes and in fancy black and white snap cases.

Granted I don’t recall many but the one that always sticks with me is the one where it seems like a normal woman being attacked by aliens but then at the end it is revealed she is some alien giant and she is being tormented by little robots sent from the earth (USA to be specific).

I just always remember the one robot popping out of a hole in the kitchen floor to try and chop the lady’s toes off. I always thought it looked kinda funny.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
upload_2019-2-5_21-11-15.jpeg

“The Invaders”

Reactions: Pilky01

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
As a person who was fan of original as well as 1980's version I would love to be thrilled about this but given it will only be available to CBS All Access and I wont ever spend dime on that service I wont be seeing it
Did you have some problem with the service to say that?
Honestly they have a nice library of stuff, the 60 Minutes archive is particularly great. As someone who has fully ditched traditional television, it's also nice to have a live stream of a local network feed
That being said, their interface is complete crap.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Remaking iconic movies or television shows never works, and for good reason. Hard pass.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I actually worked 4 days on an episode of the new Twilight Zone. I auditioned for a small role ( Police Officer ) for a different episode but didn't get it. The Casting Agent liked me so I ended up getting 4 good long days working Background on a different episode. The episode I worked on was called " The Traveler " but I was told that the name might be changed by the time it airs. I had to sign a Confidentially Agreement so I can't really tell you too much but I will tell you that Steven Yeun and Greg Kinnear were in the episode.

Reactions: Lotusflower

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm intrigued to see if a remake can work. A good script is key as what I liked about the original series is how thought provoking and reflective it was on society as a whole. At the very least it can't be worse than the early 2000s version.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm looking forward to it. I have CBS All-Access via a friend of my girlfriend so I'm excited to check it out. I love the original and have seen a lot of them.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Night Gallery
Twilight Zone (1980's)
Tales from the Darkside
Freddy's Nightmare's
Monsters
Tales from the Crypt
Perversions of Science
Outer Limits (1990's)
Twilight Zone (2002)

Good list. I'm a big fan of the '9os Outer Limits..
I'll also add the short-lived, Henry Rollins hosted 'Night Visions' (circa early 2000s).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I remember Night Visions

Had potential but some of the stories were pretty weak and it was cancelled only after 1 season

Only 4 episodes I recall honestly are

1) The Lou Diamond Phillips as radio DJ one
2) Jay Mohr as soldier who it turned out sold out his men who then came to get revenge on him for it
3) Randy Quaid near death when he woke up before embalming leading to him to think he was in heaven then killing himself only for it to be revealed that heaven he thought he remembered was painting on ceiling of mortuary he saw while in near death state
4) The Bill Pullman alternate reality window episode where he enters what he believes to be beautiful world and meet beautiful woman only for her to eat him and portal to disappear. As Army begins to pack up and leave where portal was it shows that portal has appeared on other side now and that the monsters from other side are all gathering waiting to cross into ours portal and kill us

I was excited for Night Visions and Twilight Zone and both didn't make it past 1 year and essentially killed any hopes of anthology revival

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I remember Night Visions..
..Episodes I recall honestly are

1) The Lou Diamond Phillips as radio DJ one..

Lou Diamond Phillips' episode is basically the only Night Vision I remember. It was eerie, & well done. I think I re-watched it 10-15 years later on YouTube..
Ironically, do u remember Phillips turned up about a year later in a Forrest Whitaker' Twilight Zone. He played a pool guy, stuck in some kinda karmic Groundhog Day.
I have the DVD season of Whitaker' Twilight Zone (& watched most episodes in real time), it was ok. My opinion, not as good as the '8os incarnation, but I appreciated that Night Visions & Twilight Zone were stoking the genre some in early 2ooos..

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My favorite anthology series would have to be Tales From the Crypt. That was a reason to get HBO in the 90s. It was really novel to have a TV series that could be explicit. I was a teenager at the time and eating up as many R-rated movies as I could, and it was, essentially, an R-rated TV series. It was also kick to see well-known movie actors appear in episodes. I particularly geeked out whenever Arnold Schwarzenegger (at the peak of his fame) was in an episode or listed as the director. None of these things necessarily make it a great series or one that'll be as good nowadays, but it's my favorite because of how much I liked it as the time and have nostalgia for it. I really need to do a re-watch sometime. I haven't seen most of those episodes in 25 years.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Are You Afraid of the Dark is a very underrated anthology series

I have higher hopes for this than other remakes because of Jordan Peele being involved. He's good at suspense and seems like he'd do all he can to take care of the name

Side note, Im more excited for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Those books were scary and awesome as a kid.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I have higher hopes for this than other remakes because of Jordan Peele being involved. He's good at suspense and seems like he'd do all he can to take care of the name..

I get it.. but I think the shoes are too big to fill. With the original, Serling was involved start-to-finish. Conception, writing scripts, narrating, etc. Twilight Zone was a reflection of Serling's personal vision. He wasn't (just) a guy reading a cue card. I thought one of the strengths of the '80s Twilight Zone, they didn't attempt to rely on a generic host to bolster the show. They did voice-over narration, and had good ensemble casts (especially first season, before it went into lower budget syndication). I know the 2002 reboot cast a lot known actors. But to me, there was a disconnect between Forrest Whitaker & the subject matter. His narration was weak, derivative, forgettable. They futilely tried to replicate the Serling' model. The promo for this new Twilight Zone makes me think they're making the same mistake..

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been watching a lot of The Twilight Zone (the original) and Alfred Hitchcock Presents this past month. They're on every weeknight on MeTV (a TV Land-like channel that's even available over the air). Two episodes of AHP follow one of TTZ, so it's an hour and a half block of anthology shows each weeknight. Night Gallery is also on but at something like 4am, which is not much of an option unless you have a DVR.

I had thought of The Twilight Zone as the original anthology series, so it was interesting to notice that Alfred Hitchcock Presents pre-dated it by four years and lasted twice as long (10 years vs 5 years). Watching them back to back reveals that The Twilight Zone wasn't as original as I had assumed, not that there's anything wrong with that when the show is as excellent as it was.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Twilight Zone / Episode 1 / The Comedian [2019] :

* A struggling comedian finds he kills when he kills.

The pilot is too long, crude and not funny, in a surprisingly weak initial episode.

3/10

Twilight Zone / Episode 2 / Nightmare At 30,000 Feet [2019] :

* A passenger tries to save a doomed flight.

While predictable and far fetched, it's enjoyable and a big step up from Episode 1.

7/10

Show Trailer :

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad