TV: Twilight Zone (2019)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Hated Masters of Horror it was such a disappointment

The Hitchhiker was great and moved to USA for a few more seasons when HBO moved on from it. Sadly the series has never been released on DVD and likely wont ever be. Only can get some parts of series on DVD no complete seasons just that 30 or so episode DVD which had a lot of issues with tech/etc from what I heard

Amazing Stories was another good one from 80's that has been forgotten. I have season 1 on DVD but sadly again it doesn't appear anymore will be coming

Freddy's Nightmares was cheap , poorly acted , poor written but ultimately entertaining series that again doesn't appear will ever get DVD release sadly

Monsters is another underrated one and essentially the offshoot of Tales from the Darkside. Loved it growing up and its cheesy as **** but man does it bring back great memories and I had to buy that on DVD when they released it

Hammer Horror:Series was a good 1 year UK anthology from early 80's. I enjoyed it and then never saw it again for 20+ years so when that came out on DVD I had to grab the series

That mediocre Tales from the Crypt follow up called "Perversions of Science" was another 1 yr anthology series that has vanished into history and probably will never come out on DVD
I really wish the hitchhiker was available on dvd or one of the major streaming services. Someone told me there is a horror only streaming service but I can't remember the name. I've been meaning to look into it, perhaps it's on there. I never watched freddy's nightmares or the friday the 13th series, I vaguely remember Amazing stories and the movies now that you mention it and they were pretty good.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
80's twilight zone was good but if you watch it now it hasn't aged well.

I've been watching it since Monday, when MeTV started showing it, and I agree that it's hasn't aged well. It's watchable and I enjoy the 80s nostalgia, but each episode so far looks like an 80s commercial and is acted like a B movie (maybe partly because each episode so far has been directed by Wes Craven).

I really wish the hitchhiker was available on dvd or one of the major streaming services.

It's on DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Hitchhiker-Complete-Collection-Page-Fletcher/dp/B004TGUO02

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I've been watching it since Monday, when MeTV started showing it, and I agree that it's hasn't aged well. It's watchable and I enjoy the 80s nostalgia, but each episode looks like an 80s commercial (perpetual soft focus) and is acted like a bad B movie (maybe partly because each episode so far has been directed by Wes Craven).
:laugh: Been watching it too. Didn't even know the Bruce Willis episode was directed by Wes Craven.

Still better than the new one.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Twilight Zone / Episode 10 / Blurryman [2019] :

* An episode within an episode.

Even at just over 30 minutes, it was too long. What a silly empty mess.

Season is finally over. I won't watch next year.

3.5/10

I’m conflicted about this episode. I found it amusing that the show addressed the “on the nose morality” that critics have lambasted the show for. And it was nice that Seth Rogen’s billing was a red herring, but Sophie’s conflict with Blurryman (and the subsequent reveal) has me scratching my head. Going to have to watch it again.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Meh.

I get that it was an attempt to modernize the Twilight Zone and put the contemporary spin on the old classic, but I just don't think it got there. You can make some good parallels between Rod Serling and Jordan Peele as auteurs regarding their work and the times they both live in...but the results so far are pretty mixed. Maybe some of it can be put down to the death of satire and subtlety that we're dealing with in the TRUMP years but the inaugural season of the new TZ just didn't quite get there for me.

And it is a really sad commentary on the US that the same morality plays can pretty much be played out word for word fifty years later and nobody's learned a single damn thing.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watched up to the male aggression and violence episode.

This show is severely disappointing.
You don't like being lectured to, week after week after week, all disguised a weak entertainment?

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Trivia note: The Grateful Dead played the theme song for the 80's version. Betcha didn't know that.

I did know that, since I've been watching it along with you ;). Those 80s episodes are really hit and miss with me. Some just seem lame and don't hold my attention at all, but every 3rd episode or so (like last night's) is a good one that encourages me to continue watching. Maybe I just like the simple and/or spooky story lines better than the more left field and effects driven episodes.

Something that I didn't know until last night is that there was a "new" Alfred Hitchcock Presents that ran from '85 to '89, the same years as the new Twilight Zone.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Welp this series was cancelled last month after just two seasons (20 episodes)

A very disappointing series and likely the final death blow for Twilight Zone franchise

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I really wish the hitchhiker was available on dvd or one of the major streaming services. Someone told me there is a horror only streaming service but I can't remember the name. I've been meaning to look into it, perhaps it's on there. I never watched freddy's nightmares or the friday the 13th series, I vaguely remember Amazing stories and the movies now that you mention it and they were pretty good.

Hitchhiker it seems is in indefinite limbo likely due to rights issues and unlikely to ever find life again

Freddy's Nightmares was viewed as not worth releasing on DVD due to low demand

Still both would be great adds to any streaming service if ever possible

Something that I didn't know until last night is that there was a "new" Alfred Hitchcock Presents that ran from '85 to '89, the same years as the new Twilight Zone.

Another forgotten series that outside of brief revival in syndication on Chiller years ago has been buried to dustbin of history

I've been watching it since Monday, when MeTV started showing it, and I agree that it's hasn't aged well. It's watchable and I enjoy the 80s nostalgia, but each episode so far looks like an 80s commercial and is acted like a B movie (maybe partly because each episode so far has been directed by Wes Craven).

It's on DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Hitchhiker-Complete-Collection-Page-Fletcher/dp/B004TGUO02

From a visual standpoint its impossible to ever get a better quality release on DVD/Blu Ray or streaming

Alan Brennert, one of the writer-producers who contributed to the series, wrote that the picture quality of the DVD set was "NOT a 'bad transfer'" but rather that the episodes were "shot on film, but edited on video. In other words, the raw footage was 35 mm film, which was then transferred to videotape. Editing, dubbing, special effects—everything was done on video. We were in fact the first drama series on television to do this. So unlike the original Rod Serling TZ, there are NO original film negatives from which Image could strike new prints for transfer. All that exist are the old one-inch master tapes, and the unfortunate reality is, videotape does deteriorate some over time. Image has, in my opinion, done a superb job packaging our series, and it is to them that I award the five stars in this review! If not for their interest in bringing this show to DVD, those one-inch masters might eventually have eroded into so much static (as my 3/4-inch tapes of the show already have)." He concluded by saying "If you enjoyed this series, just be grateful it's been preserve

No one ever thought there would be such a thing as home video demand for entire series let alone Streaming of them and TZ 80's revival is one of the shows that this is reality for

Also That isn't accurate with regard to Hitchhiker as its false advertisement

Only 30 of the 85 episodes of series are part of that so its not complete series despite claims and it seems unlikely a complete set will ever be released

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I completely missed the second season even aired. But I've watched 4 episodes and the one with the body switching ended up being more wilder than I expected.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I really wish the hitchhiker was available on dvd or one of the major streaming services.. I've been meaning to look into it, perhaps it's on there. I never watched freddy's nightmares or the friday the 13th series..

It's not ideal, but I watch old episodes of the Hitchhiker on YouTube. They've been uploaded intermittently over the years, with varying degrees of quality..

Friday the 13th was a killer series.. all three seasons are on inexpensive DVD releases ~

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad