Rumor: TVA Lavoie Reporting Markov wants 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Offer him his $5.75 for one year, if he doesn't like it then he can walk. If he has another good year, then give him another year next summer.

Love the guy and want him to retire with us, but a 2 year $6 mill contract for a guy who needs his minutes limited to be effective later in the season just isn't worth it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I believe they were suggesting a 9M Year 1 and 3M Year 2 to match his 12 million 2 year request. It benefits the Habs if we're not going to use all of our extra cap space this year

And Markov walks after that one year.

Seriously, this is nonsense. Markov got 4.25M in salary last year. If he's looking at a 1 year deal, the figure is somewhere between 4 and 5M. There's no way Bergevin would offer 9M for 1 year, and there's no way Markov would walk away from that anyways.

Pretty sure the Habs and Markov kinda agree on the money, around 4-5M a year, but Markov wanted to see if he could just get more term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And Markov walks after that one year.

Seriously, this is nonsense. Markov got 4.25M in salary last year. If he's looking at a 1 year deal, the figure is somewhere between 4 and 5M. There's no way Bergevin would offer 9M for 1 year, and there's no way Markov would walk away from that anyways.

Petty sure the Habs and Markov kinda agree on the money, around 4-5M a year, but Markov wanted to see if he could just get more term.

Pretty sure Markov's $4.25M in actual salary last year was a number he felt was low in hindsight. Markov want's $6M per season. I believe this. Think the difference is $4-5M from the Habs and $5-$6M is what Markov is asking for.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
lmao 9m for one year of 38 year old Markov. Come on guys.

Be happy with 5-5.5m Marky. Doubt any team will come close to offering him anywhere close to 6m.

It's pretty clear no one is offering him 6M as he's still out there...

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
E

It's pretty clear no one is offering him 6M as he's still out there...

He may be caught here. No team thinks for a moment that he doesn't want to stay in Montreal so they don't want to be the team that gets leveraged by Marky only to see him sign in Montreal or worse, end up signing him and getting a year or two of mopey bear.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I couldnt

Where will our offence on the back end come from?

Schlemko Petry and Davidson. On PP Drouin can distribute. You dont need someone to skate it out all the time. Quick outlet pass to the wingers and you're off to the races. Just don't want bone head play coughing up the puck in your zone. Not ideal but rather be able to score some goals and use cap on a bona fida top line centre.

Who do we trade for Duchene/RNH in this scenario though?

No idea but most any of the guys in this lineup except for core players could be involved with little impact. Also, the fact we have cap allows us to trade prospects and picks to cash strapped teams. Like when Arizona got Crouse for taking on a bad contract. Carolina for Terravienen etc. If we can use that cap this year and have it and Plex off the books next year we have another shot at the UFA market and can get some good asssets now. Just need some creativity from a GM for once!

Last edited:

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Schlemko Petry and Davidson. On PP Drouin can distribute. Not ideal but rather be able to score some goals and use cap on a bona fida top line centre.

No idea but most any of the guys in this lineup except for core players could be involved with little impact. Also, the fact we have cap allows us to trade prospects and picks to cash strapped teams. Like when Arizona got Crouse for taking on a bad contract. Carolina for Terravienen etc. If we can use that cap this year and have it and Plex off the books next year we have another shot at the UFA market and can get some good asssets now. Just need some creativity from a GM for once!

What bona fide center exactly? It's been five years since BargainBin took over and he has yet to find a top-six center...

By the way, Markov is done in Montreal.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
1 year @ $5M

Just sign it already Marky

That term and amount would be my final offer to Markov. I'd like to have him back with the Habs next season but I'd put that as my final offer and leave it on the table for a while.

Tell him if he can't find any takers at what he's asking for the offer will be there until a certain date. If he doesn't find another team before then or doesn't accept the offer by that date you thank him for his service and use the salary elsewhere.

I really hope though it doesn't come to something like that and Markov returns and plays his entire career as a Hab.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I want him to comeback but wouldn't be upset at all if he goes to Nashville. Don't think they need him though, but what a top 6D they'd have, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad