OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I found this show on Netflix called Schitt's creek. Absolutely hilarious.

Also I've been on a Seinfeld kick recently and I love it

Reactions: Jabroni

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've shifted more to documentary movies lately about food and wine.

If I could do it all over again, I think I would've went culinary route.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wish Netflix put all the other seasons of Great British Bake Off up. Except for the last one.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not sure what happened with the old thread. Tried searching for it for a bit but to no avail.

Figured I'd make a new one.

Been doing some housework today in the apartment. Since it was all in the living room, I turned on Netflix and decided to start GLOW.

I have to say...it's amazing.
I could have sworn I made one. God only knows what happened to it, lol.

I'm lazy, here some copypasta of my recent watches from the Entertainment board. Sorry in advance for the formatting. :laugh:

Suck It Up (2017) - 2.5/5
"Ronnie lost her brother, Faye lost her first love. These two best friends take off on a debaucherous road trip to the mountains to get over the death of the guy they both loved."
Decent Canadian movie, really depressing. Dug it.
---
Ladybird (2017) - 2.5/5

"A California high school student plans to escape from her family and small town by going to college in New York."
Dug it.
---
The Shape of Water (2017) - 1/5

"An other-worldly story, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1962, where a mute janitor working at a lab falls in love with an amphibious man being held captive there and devises a plan to help him escape."
Extreme lack of dig. Must be missing something, thought this was really crappy. :laugh:
---
I, Tonya (2017) - 3.5/5

"Competitive ice skater Tonya Harding rises amongst the ranks at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but her future in the activity is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes."
Hilarious. Great stuff from Margot Robbie, and amazing work by Allison Janney.
---
Lovesong (2016) - 3/5

"Neglected by her husband, Sarah embarks on an impromptu road trip with her young daughter and her best friend, Mindy. Along the way, the dynamic between the two friends intensifies before circumstances force them apart. Years later, Sarah attempts to rebuild their intimate connection in the days before Mindy’s wedding."
Slow, uncomplicated plot, but packed with authentic human interactions and emotions. Riley Keough effortlessly portrays a heart-breakingly sad-but-upbeat character. Jena Malone, well, I'd watch a 3-hour movie where Jena Malone goes to the DMV. Dug it.
---
Blame (2017) - 2.5/5

"A drama teacher’s taboo relationship with an unstable student strikes a nerve in her jealous classmate, sparking a vengeful chain of events within their suburban high school that draws parallels to ‘The Crucible’."
Yo we heard you like The Crucible, so we made it into a high-school movie where the characters in the actual movie are also performing The Crucible. Directorial debut for Quinn Shephard, who plays the character Abigail, who also plays the character Abigail. Dug it.
---

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 3.5/5
"In the near future, Major is the first of her kind: a human saved from a terrible crash, then cyber-enhanced to be a perfect soldier devoted to stopping the world’s most dangerous criminals."
Actually really liked this.
---

Molly's Game (2017) - 1/5
"Molly Bloom, a young skier and former Olympic hopeful becomes a successful entrepreneur (and a target of an FBI investigation) when she establishes a high-stakes, international poker game."
To quote the film's protagonist: "Did anything good come of this? Not really."
---

Possession (1981) - 3.5/5
"A young woman left her family for an unspecified reason. The husband determines to find out the truth and starts following his wife. At first, he suspects that a man is involved. But gradually, he finds out more and more strange behaviors and bizarre incidents that indicate something more than a possessed love affair.
What. the. ****.
---

Thoroughbreds (2018) - 3/5
"Two teenage girls in suburban Connecticut rekindle their unlikely friendship after years of growing apart. In the process, they learn that neither is what she seems to be, and that a murder might solve both of their problems."
Somehow both adorable and grisly.
---

Legend (1985) - 2.5/5
"Set in a timeless mythical forest inhabited by fairies, goblins, unicorns and mortals, this fantastic story follows a mystical forest dweller, chosen by fate, to undertake a heroic quest. He must save the beautiful Princess Lily and defeat the demonic Lord of Darkness, or the world will be plunged into a never-ending ice age."
Strange little movie. Some parts done great, others...not so much. Never even heard about this flick until a week ago.
---

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - 1.5/5
"As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment – the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain."
Don't get the hype; 2 hours of CGI and one-liners.
---
Hereditary (2018) - 4/5

"After their reclusive grandmother passes away, the Graham family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited."
Lurid dive into the abyss of mental illness, trauma, and grief. Seriously one f***ed up movie. Loved it. Gabriel Byrne the GOAT.
---
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) - 0.5/5

"A volcanic eruption threatens the remaining dinosaurs on the island of Isla Nublar, where the creatures have freely roamed for several years after the demise of an animal theme park known as Jurassic World. Claire Dearing, the former park manager, has now founded the Dinosaur Protection Group, an organization dedicated to protecting the dinosaurs. To help with her cause, Claire has recruited Owen Grady, a former dinosaur trainer who worked at the park, to prevent the extinction of the dinosaurs once again."
Lol...
---
American Animals (2018) - 2.5/5

"Spencer Reinhard, Warren Lipka, Eric Borsuk and Chas Allen are four friends who live an ordinary existence in Kentucky. After a visit to Transylvania University, Lipka comes up with the idea to steal the rarest and most valuable books from the school’s library. As one of the most audacious art heists in U.S. history starts to unfold, the men question whether their attempts to inject excitement and purpose into their lives are simply misguided attempts at achieving the American dream."
A little too stylish at times. Personally not big of half-doc/half-movie. Solid overall.
---
A Quiet Place (2018) - 3/5

"A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound."

JIM
---
Blade Runner 2049 (2018) - 4/5

"Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K, unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard, a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years."
Ballsy casting for a ballsy film. Don't have time to go into detail about this one but it was just all-around fantastic.
---
Annihilation (2018) - 4.5/5

"A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don’t apply."Alex Garland [Annhiliation; Ex Machina] and David Villeneuve [Blade Runner 2049; Arrival] have now officially set the standard for the science fiction genre, through their dark, ravishing, and deeply philosophical works. Engulfing aesthetics coupled with uncompromising realism and attention to detail, are at once a great tribute to Stanley Kubrick, and a fresh, exciting direction for the genre.
---

Best of 2018
I, Tonya
Hereditary
Annihilation

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I recently learned DirecTV has The Wire on demand, all seasons and episodes. I've been binge watching it. Maybe the greatest show ever made.

I read the book All the Pieces Matter on the background of the show in May. Started it up now again to watch after having read the book, I’m on season 3 now. Fun watch after reading so much on the actors/characters/plots the book goes into detail on.

I recommend the book. Then watch the show again.

All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire®

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Ready to walk away from the Jurassic Park franchise after Fallen Kingdom. Was watching Atomic Blonde on the plane but didn't finish--and don't want to. No wonder they marketed it the way they did, trying to sell it as an action film. Sure, there were some cool fight scenes and such, but the plot dragged and both Charlize Theron and James McAvoy's charisma couldn't pull it from its dreck. Couldn't finish Isle of Dogs either, but I'd like to. Quirky animated film.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I read the book All the Pieces Matter on the background of the show in May. Started it up now again to watch after having read the book, I’m on season 3 now. Fun watch after reading so much on the actors/characters/plots the book goes into detail on.

I recommend the book. Then watch the show again.

All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire®

Thanks for this, definitely gonna pick up. Just finished up Homicide by Simon, lot of good references to the show like the tale of Snot Boogy.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Wormwood on Netflix, by America's greatest living director.

He currently has two other films on Netflix.

Sopranos remains my favorite TV drama of all time.

Goodfellas will always be my favorite movie drama.

Billions is currently the best drama on TV despite a so-so second season.

My favorite film of 2018 is To Dust, which still does not have a release date.

Looking forward to Sacha Baron Cohen's new seies, which premieres on Showtime, tomorrow.

The Subway episode of Homicide might be the single greatest episode of any drama, ever.

I have more, but that is it, for now.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Only show I truly care about.

viserion.gif

And I'm in love with Daenery's.

giphy.gif

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Definitely my favorite show of all time. I've watched it about 10 times. So many great characters.

In 2012, there was a documentary called Gnarr. It's about a standup comedian in Iceland who runs for mayor of the capital.

Part of his platform was that you could not be on his campaign unless you stated The Wire was the greatest show ever. Fun movie. By the way, he won.

Reactions: nyrage

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Going through my recent Moviepass history in order:

The First Purge - I love the concept of all these Purge movies, but the execution is usually pretty lacking. I didn't hate or love it. Again, I found the concept of the original Purge to be fascinating. The story was pretty standard action/horror.

TAG - Based on a real life group of friends that get together every year and play Tag. I thought I would hate it, but I had time to kill. The Tag game scenes were actually really good. The rest was pretty blah.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Great premise and start to the movie that just falls apart in a disappointing way soon after. I won't spoil it. The original was much better.

American Animals: 4 kids plot to steal an art collection at a college worth a fortune. This movie was saved by a very good last third. It was pretty meh up until the robbery scene.

Upgrade: A great action film with a 70s Terminator feel about a guy crippled in an assault that kills his wife. He gets an AI upgrade to his spinal system called STEM that allows him to walk again and seek revenge on his wife's killers. Highly recommended.

Hereditary - well done horror movie about a family falling apart after a grisly accidental death with some occult family history background . Some great acting in this one.

First Reformed - Ethan Hawke is great as a priest that is dying from cancer and goes haywire after meeting this couple of environmental activists in his Church. Very grim movie and relevant movie.

Disobedience - Loved this movie about a Jewish woman that must return home to the UK after her Rabbi leader dad passes away. You'll learn about her complicated relationship to the other main characters as the movie progresses and why she had to leave the UK in the first scene. There is a sex scene in the movie that was top notch. Ha.

Adrift - Based on a real life survival story of a a woman and her bf that are adrift in the ocean after a storm. I enjoyed it. The woman was a strong female character who fought for her survival despite long odds.

Revenge - Very entertaining and bloody (although at times hard to believe) movie about a woman that is raped and survives a murder attempt in the desert. The hunted becomes the hunter in this revenge tale.

Deadpool 2 - Not as good as the first, but still entertaining. I'll leave it at that.

You Were Never Really Here - Jaquin Phoenix plays another damaged character in this indie drama. This time he is a former soldier that plays a vicious hitman for hire who specializes in killing kidnappers. His life changes when he comes across a kidnapped girl with political ties. Entertaining.

-

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
In 2012, there was a documentary called Gnarr. It's about a standup comedian in Iceland who runs for mayor of the capital.

Part of his platform was that you could not be on his campaign unless you stated The Wire was the greatest show ever. Fun movie. By the way, he won.

He would get my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad