OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Any guilty pleasures you want to admit to?

I won't purposely look for it (not always true), but if Dateline or 20/20 comes on, I usually stay put. I've absorbed too much HGTV because of the wife. Married At First Sight (always fun to watch with the significant other). Snapped on Oxygen (always fun to watch with the significant other).

I hate myself.

Also, Shark Tank, Face/Off on Syfy, (recently) Drunk History on Comedy Central, Ghost Adventures, and (recently) Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. Really loved Anthony Bourdain's shows on Travel and CNN.
My wife and I are big Family Feud fans (current Steve Harvey version). We were also in a phase where we watched a ton of Shark Tank last year. Master Chef Jr is another guilty pleasure of ours.

Reactions: will1066

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I won't purposely look for it (not always true), but if Dateline or 20/20 comes on, I usually stay put. I've absorbed too much HGTV because of the wife. Married At First Sight (always fun to watch with the significant other). Snapped on Oxygen (always fun to watch with the significant other).

I hate myself.

Also, Shark Tank, Face/Off on Syfy, (recently) Drunk History on Comedy Central, Ghost Adventures, and (recently) Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. Really loved Anthony Bourdain's shows on Travel and CNN.
The Food Network. Not just one particular show either. As a matter of fact, I think that is the only reason we still have cable. My wife and I spend TONS of time watching it.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
My wife and I are big Family Feud fans (current Steve Harvey version). We were also in a phase where we watched a ton of Shark Tank last year. Master Chef Jr is another guilty pleasure of ours.

Shark Tank really opened my eyes that Cuban is a smart dude, and more rounded than simply being the Mavericks' owner.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The Food Network. Not just one particular show either. As a matter of fact, I think that is the only reason we still have cable. My wife and I spend TONS of time watching it.

I went through a Food Network and food show phase. Kitchen Nightmares, the grand daddy of makeover shows.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not going to lie, as a parent, I also spend more time watching cartoons with the kids than live-action stuff.

Out of all the stuff that ends up dominating my tvs before bedtime, Peppa Pig, Octonauts, and Sponge Bob are my favorites. I have been able to incorporate Ninja Warrior, Battlebots, AFV into the rotation. DVRs kind of save me from missing out too much on Hockey.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
FOX Sunday evening animated series lineup is my guilty pleasure, if you will. If it’s the same for you then I can’t recommend enough Big Mouth from Netflix.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Out of all the stuff that ends up dominating my tvs before bedtime, Peppa Pig, Octonauts, and Sponge Bob are my favorites. I have been able to incorporate Ninja Warrior, Battlebots, AFV into the rotation. DVRs kind of save me from missing out too much on Hockey.

In the animated world, The Oblongs blew me away.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Ducktales is popular in our household, which feels a little like things have come full circle.

My daughters love Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol and Rugrats. There's some Barbie series on that has its moments.

All my kids love older Disney cartoons, the older Disney Afternoon cartoons, Pink Panther, Ninja Turtles, Batman The Animated Series, Justice League, Real Ghostbusters.

I recently introduced them to the old campy Batman television show and they've been enjoying that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I hate myself.

I love sitting down to wine documentaries and opening up a bottle.

Somm into the Bottle, A Year in Burgundy, A Year in Champagne, etc.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Ducktales is popular in our household, which feels a little like things have come full circle.

My daughters love Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol and Rugrats. There's some Barbie series on that has its moments.

All my kids love older Disney cartoons, the older Disney Afternoon cartoons, Pink Panther, Ninja Turtles, Batman The Animated Series, Justice League, Real Ghostbusters.

I recently introduced them to the old campy Batman television show and they've been enjoying that.

Speaking of Batman, I actually liked the Lego Batman movie, the beginning to middle at least is worth watching for the humor, at some point they quickly go through mocking the various older iterations of all the Batman shows including the campy version, it's pretty funny.

(I kind of liked the original Lego movie as well)

Anything with some humor in it for the adults is good, Shrek, Ice Age, etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Speaking of Batman, I actually liked the Lego Batman movie, the beginning to middle at least is worth watching for the humor, at some point they quickly go through mocking the various older iterations of all the Batman shows including the campy version, it's pretty funny.

(I kind of liked the original Lego movie as well)

Anything with some humor in it for the adults is good, Shrek, Ice Age, etc.

I think I saw the Lego Batman movie, but I've seen so many Lego movies and TV shows that it kind of blends together.

Garfield is also popular in our house.

Reactions: Off Sides

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Shark Tank really opened my eyes that Cuban is a smart dude, and more rounded than simply being the Mavericks' owner.
Yea the Cubes is great. He's so rich though that it ruins the dynamic of the show sometimes. He's 10x richer than the second richest shark so he can outbid anyone easily.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I hate myself.

Laguna Beach. The Hills.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Narcos - first 2 seasons were awesome. Still gotta finish S3.

Justified - 2nd greatest tv show of all time after GoT.

True Detective S1 and Fargo S1 and S2 are amazing as well.

Glad to see you agree with me about Justified being so damn good. Olyphant's "Raylen Givens" character and Walton Coggins "Boyd Crowder" character have to be IMO two of the best characters ever written into a show . I'm actually as we speak up to Season 5 as I felt a rewatch of the series was warranted as I hadn't seen it in over 2 years.

As I said in my earlier comments I had a few others series I loved which I didn't name and you named one of them....Fargo...seasons 1 and 2. The first season with Billy Bob Thornton was off the hook. Season 2 was good but Season 3 was a tad disappointing to be honest.

Couple of other solid series I've seen over the years that I'd recommend....I said Better Call Saul. Ozark with Justin Bateman was surprisingly good. And I've started to give Longmire a watch and I'm starting to like it. One more series to mention that unfortunatly was cancelled...The Bridge was excellent and I'm pissed it wasn't renewed for it's 3rd season...loh well.

As far as movies, I just saw Sicario 2...Day of the Soldado and I really liked it maybe not as much as the original Sicario but it's pretty dang close. Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin both are excellent once again. That's it for me for now...:)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Glad to see you agree with me about Justified being so damn good. Olyphant's "Raylen Givens" character and Walton Coggins "Boyd Crowder" character have to be IMO two of the best characters ever written into a show . I'm actually as we speak up to Season 5 as I felt a rewatch of the series was warranted as I hadn't seen it in over 2 years.

As I said in my earlier comments I had a few others series I loved which I didn't name and you named one of them....Fargo...seasons 1 and 2. The first season with Billy Bob Thornton was off the hook. Season 2 was good but Season 3 was a tad disappointing to be honest.

Couple of other solid series I've seen over the years that I'd recommend....I said Better Call Saul. Ozark with Justin Bateman was surprisingly good. And I've started to give Longmire a watch and I'm starting to like it. One more series to mention that unfortunatly was cancelled...The Bridge was excellent and I'm pissed it wasn't renewed for it's 3rd season...loh well.

As far as movies, I just saw Sicario 2...Day of the Soldado and I really liked it maybe not as much as the original Sicario but it's pretty dang close. Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin both are excellent once again. That's it for me for now...:)

Yet to watch Fargo S3.

Imo Fargo S2 was marginally better than 1. Billy Bob's performance was one of the GOAT but I thought S2 had 6-7 actors with great performances. Not on Billy Bob's level but a tier below it. Patrick Wilson, Ted Danson and Kirsten Dunst all killed it but Jeffrey Donovan and Nick Offerman are the 2 standouts. My favorite was the guy that played Hanzee Dent. The ultimate badass.

Reactions: Miamipuck

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nick Offerman's scene at the Police Station was so good that you felt like applauding at the end of it.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
When I visited the US the first, it was summer and I was hooked on Food Network. Iron Chef (original series, semi-dubbed in the US) is probably my favorite TV cooking show. Other than that whole lotta poker and baseball at the time.

Also had the pleasure to watch South Park the movie in the states.

I generally stick to documentaries about nature, food, culture, history and such.

Reality TV and the news are the downfall of human civilization.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I also can't stop watching the hoarding shows. It looks like the one on A&E has outlasted the other one on TLC.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
GF and I have been running through The Americans. Through 2.5 seasons. Excellent show.

Hell On Wheels is not my all time favorite show but in my book quite easily captures the title of “most underrated” of the last decade or so. Post Civil War Western centered on the construction of the transcontinental RR. High production value, intriguing time period / subject. Anson Mount and Common are excellent.

And anyone who likes food shows @Edge @Gardner McKay check out Ugly Delicious on Netflix if you haven’t already.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
GF and I have been running through The Americans. Through 2.5 seasons. Excellent show.

Hell On Wheels is not my all time favorite show but in my book quite easily captures the title of “most underrated” of the last decade or so. Post Civil War Western centered on the construction of the transcontinental RR. High production value, intriguing time period / subject. Anson Mount and Common are excellent.

Swede was great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad