OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Did you see the original Blade Runner or the director’s cut? The original has this awful narration by Harrison Ford that makes it a completely different movie.

Ive seen both. I have this thing about sci fi movies (and metal music) where if there’s something that other people really love, I really want to love it too. So when I found out about the directors cut, I was like... oh hey! Maybe I’ll like more now! And I did, but not significantly.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ive seen both. I have this thing about sci fi movies (and metal music) where if there’s something that other people really love, I really want to love it too. So when I found out about the directors cut, I was like... oh hey! Maybe I’ll like more now! And I did, but not significantly.
What are your favorite sci-fi movies?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What are your favorite sci-fi movies?

In no particular order, and not including Star Wars or Star Trek in there, Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Ex Machina, Arrival, Interstellar, Gattaca, Looper, The Fifth Element...

...I’m forgetting some. And yes, Jurassic Park is a sci fi movie. The sequels are all monster movies :laugh:

Reactions: Rangers in 7

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
@Maximus , our TV series preferences are almost identical so trust me when I tell you to give Westworld another chance.

I also second your take on Narcos, but I was really disappointed in season 1 of Narcos Mexico and not sure if I will give the second season a try anytime soon.

Hot take: IMO Snowfall is better than Narcos

I agree with this take.

Reactions: kovazub94

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Are you normally into other slow burn sci fi, or is that just not your genre?
Not sure what you mean by slow burn...

I love sci fi. I'm a huge sci fi nerd. Love bsg, Firefly, xfiles, all the treks, Westworld, etc. I found blade runner to be just painfully boring. Love the genre, but couldn't even get through that movie...I think I watched 30 mins of it before I started to doze off.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not sure what you mean by slow burn...

I love sci fi. I'm a huge sci fi nerd. Love bsg, Firefly, xfiles, all the treks, Westworld, etc. I found blade runner to be just painfully boring. Love the genre, but couldn't even get through that movie...I think I watched 30 mins of it before I started to doze off.

It refers to both pacing and atmosphere. Obviously the pacing is slow... you’re not going to get much action in this type of movie. I guess I would describe the atmosphere as brooding.

Recent movie examples: Annihilation, Arrival
For TV, I’d say Devs right now. Also Tales from the Loop.

I get the sense that Westworld is like this, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. I wouldn’t classify any of the other ones you mentioned by name as being slow-burn. Even though some episodes of Star Trek can be pretty slow paced. X-Files too, for that matter. But they don’t have the right atmosphere.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That seems like such a weird show to remake. It was already a remake, no? :laugh:

Sam Esmail produced it though so I'll have to check it out.

He’s producing the new one, but apparently it isnt a reboot? It hasn’t happened yet.

The 00s reboot is great though. Lots of people hated the ending, but I enjoyed it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It refers to both pacing and atmosphere. Obviously the pacing is slow... you’re not going to get much action in this type of movie. I guess I would describe the atmosphere as brooding.

Recent movie examples: Annihilation, Arrival
For TV, I’d say Devs right now. Also Tales from the Loop.

I get the sense that Westworld is like this, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. I wouldn’t classify any of the other ones you mentioned by name as being slow-burn. Even though some episodes of Star Trek can be pretty slow paced. X-Files too, for that matter. But they don’t have the right atmosphere.
Annihilation was just ok. Loved arrival. I dunno. It's why I don't always follow movie ratings when I decide what to watch. Some movies people hate that I love and vice versamm.i also HATED that stupid ass fish movie...the shape of water or whatever the f*** it was called... That movie was horrible and I have no idea how 3 billboards didn't win... Which is one of the best movies I've ever seen...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He’s producing the new one, but apparently it isnt a reboot? It hasn’t happened yet.

The 00s reboot is great though. Lots of people hated the ending, but I enjoyed it.
We talking about bsg? I loved the reboot as well. Apparently it's a spin-off.. or something. But it seems wholly unnecessary and kinda pointless.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Annihilation was just ok. Loved arrival. I dunno. It's why I don't always follow movie ratings when I decide what to watch. Some movies people hate that I love and vice versamm.i also HATED that stupid ass fish movie...the shape of water or whatever the f*** it was called... That movie was horrible and I have no idea how 3 billboards didn't win... Which is one of the best movies I've ever seen...
Omg I HATED that movie. :laugh:

What an overhyped piece of garbage.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

OK, this is what I was curious about. If you liked Arrival, you don't dislike that style of the genre as a whole. That's cool! I certainly didn't find either iteration of Blade Runner to be compelling, so I'm there with you.

We talking about bsg? I loved the reboot as well. Apparently it's a spin-off.. or something. But it seems wholly unnecessary and kinda pointless.

Yeah, count me as skeptical.

Omg I HATED that movie. :laugh:

What an overhyped piece of garbage.

I really liked it, but I also had read the book(s) well before the movie was made, so I might have been working with a crutch. Now, Ad Astra... THAT was a bad movie. :laugh:

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Wow I feel at home with all this sci-fi talk.

Travelers is great, but heads up they cancel the series on a cliffhanger which is really annoying.

Season 1 of Altered Carbon was incredible too. Just started the 2nd season.

I really enjoyed Travelers. The time travel is always tough to pull off but they did about as well as possible.

Altered Carbon S1 was meh to me. Solid if unspectacular. Season 2 was a lot more interesting and Anthony Mackie was huge improvement over the previous lead.

If anybody has Amazon Prime, I cannot recommend The Expanse highly enough. It is one of if not the best sci-fi series I've ever seen.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If anybody has Amazon Prime, I cannot recommend The Expanse highly enough. It is one of if not the best sci-fi series I've ever seen.
People keep telling me that, but I had such a hard time getting through the first 3-4 episodes that I have up.

Reactions: zephyr

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wow I feel at home with all this sci-fi talk.

I really enjoyed Travelers. The time travel is always tough to pull off but they did about as well as possible.

Altered Carbon S1 was meh to me. Solid if unspectacular. Season 2 was a lot more interesting and Anthony Mackie was huge improvement over the previous lead.

The Expanse is great. I had to stop with Travelers for now, because they got into a pandemic storyline and I just don't want to be watching that at the moment.

Anyone here a fan of Fringe? Probably my favorite individual sci-fi show of all time (individual meaning not including franchises). The Expanse, BSG, X Files are all up there. And for something much more light-hearted and silly, I really enjoyed Eureka.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
The Expanse is great. I had to stop with Travelers for now, because they got into a pandemic storyline and I just don't want to be watching that at the moment.

Anyone here a fan of Fringe? Probably my favorite individual sci-fi show of all time (individual meaning not including franchises). The Expanse, BSG, X Files are all up there. And for something much more light-hearted and silly, I really enjoyed Eureka.
I've had friends suggest Fringe. It's hard to think that Charlie Conway didn't make the NHL and went into paranormal stuff, but since I have time I'll try and check it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad