OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

Deleted member 23124

The Expanse is great. I had to stop with Travelers for now, because they got into a pandemic storyline and I just don't want to be watching that at the moment.

Anyone here a fan of Fringe? Probably my favorite individual sci-fi show of all time (individual meaning not including franchises). The Expanse, BSG, X Files are all up there. And for something much more light-hearted and silly, I really enjoyed Eureka.
Except for the last season, Fringe was exceptional...usually the first 5 minutes of each episode had you going "WTF????"

Reactions: Crease and Tawnos

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anyone here a fan of Fringe? Probably my favorite individual sci-fi show of all time (individual meaning not including franchises). The Expanse, BSG, X Files are all up there. And for something much more light-hearted and silly, I really enjoyed Eureka.
Fringe was great. Again, if you like X Files, you need to run, not walk and watch Project Blue Book

Reactions: Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've had friends suggest Fringe. It's hard to think that Charlie Conway didn't make the NHL and went into paranormal stuff, but since I have time I'll try and check it out.

What paranormal stuff there is in the show is just superficial. Everything is about science, even the paranormal stuff... and mostly science gone awry. Like most of the best sci fi shows though, the character development eventually outpaces the science fiction underpinning. And Josh Jackson is surprisingly really good in it, though the other two leads (John Noble and Anna Torv) are even better.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
People keep telling me that, but I had such a hard time getting through the first 3-4 episodes that I have up.

Same here....maybe it ramped up later on.

I'll admit the first few episodes are bit slow for some but it ramps up really quickly.

To me it's as close to the spiritual successor to Firefly imo but in a much more realistic setting (relatively).

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The Expanse is great. I had to stop with Travelers for now, because they got into a pandemic storyline and I just don't want to be watching that at the moment.

Fringe was a good show!

Reactions: Crease and Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Except for the last season, Fringe was exceptional...usually the first 5 minutes of each episode had you going "WTF????"

The last season was a little off, because you dealt with a time jump and the characters weren't the same as where we left them... sorta like how some people felt about Luke in the newer Star Wars movies or Picard in the show that just finished it's first season. It's a little jarring at first. Eventually, it gets itself going and the show actually ends up having one of the more fulfilling finales in sci fi, IMO.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Fringe was a good show!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'll admit the first few episodes are bit slow for some but it ramps up really quickly.

To me it's as close to the spiritual successor to Firefly imo but in a much more realistic setting (relatively).

I was a little disappointed in how the first season of The Expanse wrapped up. Mostly because of how absolutely batshit the climax of the first book was and how they didn't exactly do that in the show. I got over it though.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
OK, this is what I was curious about. If you liked Arrival, you don't dislike that style of the genre as a whole. That's cool! I certainly didn't find either iteration of Blade Runner to be compelling, so I'm there with you.

Yeah, count me as skeptical.

I really liked it, but I also had read the book(s) well before the movie was made, so I might have been working with a crutch. Now, Ad Astra... THAT was a bad movie. :laugh:
Ad Astra...there's another movie where I got to the end and I asked myself...why the f*** did I just waste 3 hours of my life to see absolutely nothing f***ing happen.

That movie was horrendous.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Fringe started off great but when they started to get to Walternate and crap like that it just lost me... I quit after that as did my very sci fo loving wife.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I was a little disappointed in how the first season of The Expanse wrapped up. Mostly because of how absolutely batshit the climax of the first book was and how they didn't exactly do that in the show. I got over it though.
I watched the first few seasons of the show before I read the books, and yeah the book is in almost every case better. But the Expanse has done really well. Miller is so much more interesting in show imo.

Reactions: Tawnos

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wow I feel at home with all this sci-fi talk.

I really enjoyed Travelers. The time travel is always tough to pull off but they did about as well as possible.

Altered Carbon S1 was meh to me. Solid if unspectacular. Season 2 was a lot more interesting and Anthony Mackie was huge improvement over the previous lead.

If anybody has Amazon Prime, I cannot recommend The Expanse highly enough. It is one of if not the best sci-fi series I've ever seen.

Same re. AC S1. I like sci-fi genre for ability to break the constrain of the reality (ironic in the current situation) in order to create more original engaging content, but Altered Carbon was just a collection of standard cliches, nothing original.

The Expanse is the opposite of AC in this regard.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The last season was a little off, because you dealt with a time jump and the characters weren't the same as where we left them... sorta like how some people felt about Luke in the newer Star Wars movies or Picard in the show that just finished it's first season. It's a little jarring at first. Eventually, it gets itself going and the show actually ends up having one of the more fulfilling finales in sci fi, IMO.

Do you need to buy access to CBS app to watch Picard?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You need CBS all access, but I believe they’re running a free 30-day trial right now. It was a 10 episode season, so that should be enough time. I watch through.... other means.
I'll get it from the library once they open back up. My wife is in law enforcement and she's very much about being on the up and up.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'll get it from the library once they open back up. My wife is in law enforcement and she's very much about being on the up and up.

Thats fair. Though the 30 day trial is legit, I get the concept of not signing up for a trial when you know you won’t be using the service long enough to pay for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad