OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I'll spare you the lengthy diatribe on why I utterly despise the "going to a movie" experience and just leave it at it's not my thing.
Last time I went to see a movie in a theater was Lincoln in 2012, and that was because I had free tickets. The last time I paid to see a a second run movie was Deep Impact back in 1998 at Cinema City - Northgate. And the last time I paid to see a first run movie in a theater was The Secret of my Success back in 1987 at Eaton Place!

EatonPlace.JPG

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Last time I went to see a movie in a theater was Lincoln in 2012, and that was because I had free tickets. The last time I paid to see a a second run movie was Deep Impact back in 1998 at Cinema City - Northgate. And the last time I paid to see a first run movie in a theater was The Secret of my Success back in 1987 at Eaton Place!

View attachment 794479
Midnight Express for me - at the Garrick. Deep winter, -35, the couple we went with had their car towed.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Really enjoying the Irish series "Kin" which began in 2021. Story of a present day Dublin family tied up in a gangland war.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really enjoying the Irish series "Kin" which began in 2021. Story of a present day Dublin family tied up in a gangland war.

Where do you order Kin? I looked at all the serivices I subscribe to and it isn’t appearing on any of them?

Reactions: imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Got it. I can’t find a place to buy or rent it. Looks right up my alley.
We watched the finale to the first season last night and it was fantastic - can't wait to start Season 2. If you want to go the Syncler+/Firestick route, a cheap and effective way of accessing a TON of content not always available on the common streaming services, I'd be happy to help.

Reactions: ps241

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Up to episode 7 of Reacher season 2. Honestly, it's pretty terrible. The first season was good till the last 2 or 3 episodes at which point it tipped the balance too far to the stupid end of the scale. This season mostly has carried on in that same manner. The big fight scenes aren't very well plotted out at all. Also, the "special investigators" are mostly just annoying.

Reactions: RabidOne

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think enjoying a movie depends on your expectations. The last one we saw -- as a couple, the wife sometimes goes out with friends -- was that last Indiana Jones movie about time travel. We didn't expect much and had a delightful afternoon, mostly laughing at the silly plot, the lovely cliched acting by Harrison Ford, and the cartoon villans. You head out with with managed expectation and you'll probably have a good time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Watching The Lazarus Project on PrimeVideo via StackTV subscription. Decent show, watchable but not great. It's a time travel show so worth checking out if that's your thing but doesn't compare to other better time travel shows. The main character is annoying and unlikable unfortunately.

Up to episode 7 of Reacher season 2. Honestly, it's pretty terrible. The first season was good till the last 2 or 3 episodes at which point it tipped the balance too far to the stupid end of the scale. This season mostly has carried on in that same manner. The big fight scenes aren't very well plotted out at all. Also, the "special investigators" are mostly just annoying.

Been waiting for the season to finish to binge it all. Loved Season 1.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna

View attachment 794479
Maybe you are just picking bad movies?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Prime is just remarkably bad. It's almost like they are trying.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Now thirding this!

Thanks for the recommendations fellas this is one hell of a show. Should be way wider known. I'm already almost done S3 and am going to be sad when I finish.

If you like this style of TV, I'll recommend you try "Blue Lights" next. I won't say it's "as" good but, it's certainly very good. Uniformed police dealing with gang related issues in Northern Ireland. From the same source (Guardian) that rated HV as #3 of top 50 shows of 2023...

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 11.23.00 AM.png

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think enjoying a movie depends on your expectations. The last one we saw -- as a couple, the wife sometimes goes out with friends -- was that last Indiana Jones movie about time travel. We didn't expect much and had a delightful afternoon, mostly laughing at the silly plot, the lovely cliched acting by Harrison Ford, and the cartoon villans. You head out with with managed expectation and you'll probably have a good time.
Ya i don't mind going to the VIP theater once in a blue moon, can have food and drinks right at your seat , big seats with lots of room.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Assume you mean Happy Valley still? Love the series.
That was fantastic. There are so many great tv shows on Brit box. During Covid we must have watched 30 different tv series. I like how they develop characters and storylines without having to rely on special effects etc. just thoughtful shows.

Shetland as mentioned was one of my favorites, the fall is a little older but great, line of duty, broadchurch and Wallander was great too.

With my hearing I have to watch them with subtitles though :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
"Motherf***ers are gonna get theirs. That's the plot."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad