OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was reluctant to take on Wrexham but just finished season 1 and I think they did a pretty good job of building a story.

Reynolds and McEhlhenney are successful for a reason.

Reactions: enuffidiotsalready

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Assume you mean Happy Valley still? Love the series.
That was fantastic. There are so many great tv shows on Brit box. During Covid we must have watched 30 different tv series. I like how they develop characters and storylines without having to rely on special effects etc. just thoughtful shows.

Shetland as mentioned was one of my favorites, the fall is a little older but great, line of duty, broadchurch was also one of my favorites.

Another one I highly recommend is Mr Inbetween.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Up to episode 7 of Reacher season 2. Honestly, it's pretty terrible. The first season was good till the last 2 or 3 episodes at which point it tipped the balance too far to the stupid end of the scale. This season mostly has carried on in that same manner. The big fight scenes aren't very well plotted out at all. Also, the "special investigators" are mostly just annoying.
They've stayed true to the books so I'm not sure what you were expecting

If you're looking for highly realistic (aka non-stupid) plot lines, you probably picked the wrong show - let alone genre

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
still need to watch season 3 but they're both on my list (3 +4). i also thought season 2 was underrated, jmo; Rachel McAdams best work I've seen.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I've recommended this before but, having just finished episode two of the third season, I'm doubling down.
Slow Horses - spy stories cracked by MI5 agents who have F'd up somewhere along the way and have been relegated to the bottom tier.
I'm almost certain the leader of the team is Sipowiz's (smarter) English cousin. :D
As Mr. Jagger (yes, that one) sings in the theme song, he's... "Surrounded by losers, misfits and boozers" (not unlike here, really :naughty:)

I believe it's on Apple.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They've stayed true to the books so I'm not sure what you were expecting

If you're looking for highly realistic (aka non-stupid) plot lines, you probably picked the wrong show - let alone genre

I haven' tread the books.

Yeah...I'm expecting dumb and unrealistic. But there's a threshold beyond which it's gets into the realm of "bad." I mean what are you suggesting? Just because it's a dumb action show it can't be bad? There's artistry involved in putting together a good action show just like there is in anything else. Sometimes it's done well and sometimes it's done less well. Like I said before, I liked the first 2/3 or so of the first season, but I felt like it lost steam after that and I actually wondered if maybe a show runner had left or something.

The first Die Hard movie? Utterly great. Most Steven Seagal movies? Utter crap. Just my opinion of course...:dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaLackey

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Has anyone seen the first episode of True Detective season 4, the one set in Alaska?
I watched episode 1.

Some cool things but definitely not perfect and definitely not season 1.

That being said, I'll definitely keep watching. The Alaska setting is really cool, at one point a character says 'it's only day 2 of night' which is wild thinking about. The constant darkness is unsettling as it always feels like it is night time. Jodie Foster is great as always.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Well, body count matters...but I disagree. I've seen good dumb action shows and I've seen bad dumb action shows.
Have you watched Terminal List?

I'm curious what you think about that one vs Reacher. It also stays true to the novel

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I watched episode 1.

Some cool things but definitely not perfect and definitely not season 1.

That being said, I'll definitely keep watching. The Alaska setting is really cool, at one point a character says 'it's only day 2 of night' which is wild thinking about. The constant darkness is unsettling as it always feels like it is night time. Jodie Foster is great as always.
It felt more like I was watching an episode of Stranger Things, than I was watching a True Detective episode.

With that said it held my attention, will continue to watch it, but if you are expecting the feel of season one you will be disapointed

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It felt more like I was watching an episode of Stranger Things, than I was watching a True Detective episode.

With that said it held my attention, will continue to watch it, but if you are expecting the feel of season one you will be disapointed
Yeah, that's about where I am with it too.

After watching S2/S3 of True Detective I know not to get my hopes up to it ever reaching the levels of season 1 again.

To be fair though, that is one of the best seasons of TV I have ever watched.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone thinking of checking out I.S.S. today? Looks a bit generic but with at least a unique setting, and not gonna lie, Ariana deBose trying her hand at a thriller movie is a bit intriguing.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Trivia time...

Name an AMC series about an American that goes to France, has dealings with a bunch of nuns that end up murdered for their troubles, and a bunch of people are trying to get their hands on a young boy who may have abilities beyond the ordinary.

Note: There are two correct answers. :laugh:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Update for those wondering: ISS was pretty poor. Not nearly enough tension, big plot twist resolved way too fast, completely unsatisfying ending.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watching the miniseries on Netflix called Painkiller, watched the first episode and its very good. Man the US and making money at all costs never ceases to amaze , no matter how many people die or get hurt.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Any fans of the anthology Fargo (the series, not the excellent film)?

Just finished season 5 and it is really something. The characters are so good and the story is wild.
How did I not know there was a season 5?
Thanks for letting me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad