TV Broadcast thread- Root Sports, ESPN etc

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This, it should have been mandated in their contract with ESPN, so IMHO the NHL dropped the ball.

What is NHL suppose to do when Seattle didn't have their arena done on time? And ESPN has other contractual obligations that they have.

The NHL can't mandate ESPN to break contracts with other sports leagues.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
What is NHL suppose to do when Seattle didn't have their arena done on time? And ESPN has other contractual obligations that they have.
I don't think espn2 is showing anything but I get why they can't. They probably get more viewer s if it had been moved to the monday and put on ESPN. Just feels like a lost opportunity for both the NHL and ESPN to gain fans in this market.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think espn2 is showing anything but I get why they can't. They probably get more viewer s if it had been moved to the monday and put on ESPN. Just feels like a lost opportunity for both the NHL and ESPN to gain fans in this market.

There's a college football game on ESPN2 that ends at 7:30pm

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Update; directv and directv stream has an agreement, started for the first game.

Spectrum Cable, the major cable company for Eastern Washington doesn’t have an agreement to air kraken games.

In most of Idaho and 99% of Montana outside of Spokane TV market, no one gets kraken games on cable as expected but also the Kraken are blacked out of all non national ESPN+ games and CI/NHL.TV.

Last edited:

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Except for the hand full of national games and games with Vegas, the Kraken are totally blacked out in most of Idaho and Montana (Root, espn+ and CI/NHL.TV).

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area

The NHL can't mandate ESPN to break contracts with other sports leagues.
It should have never been overlooked by the league when those contracts were signed. The league knew they were likely to expand when those contracts were signed is my point.

You need to protect fan interests especially being your first home game. ….and yes I get it’s only one game and I get the “get over it” angle, but it’s the first home game ever is my point.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It should have never been overlooked by the league when those contracts were signed. The league knew they were likely to expand when those contracts were signed is my point.

You need to protect fan interests especially being your first home game. ….and yes I get it’s only one game and I get the “get over it” angle, but it’s the first home game ever is my point.

The NHL can't make ESPN break their contracts just to show a game on a weekend in the middle of the football season and what else is being shown on their main networks.

National TV games (out side of NHL Network) has never ever ever were on the weekend during the NFL/College foot season and thats been the case as far as i can remember. So the National tv games like on main ESPN and now TNT are always during the weekday during football season.

Its all about ratings and Non team fans on the weekends would rather watch college football and the NFL than a NHL game. ESPN can't just ignore their Contractual commitments with other stuff just to put a NHL game on their main network. Its unfortunate that the NHL scheduled our first home game on a weekend. it can't be helped that our arena wasn't open when the season started or can't be helped there were 2 concerts already scheduled to play at the new arena before the first home game. Those concerts dates were already set before the NHL even came out with their schedule.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
The NHL can't make ESPN break their contracts just to show a game on a weekend in the middle of the football season and what else is being shown on their main networks.

National TV games (out side of NHL Network) has never ever ever were on the weekend during the NFL/College foot season and thats been the case as far as i can remember. So the National tv games like on main ESPN and now TNT are always during the weekday during football season.

Its all about ratings and Non team fans on the weekends would rather watch college football and the NFL than a NHL game. ESPN can't just ignore their Contractual commitments with other stuff just to put a NHL game on their main network. Its unfortunate that the NHL scheduled our first home game on a weekend. it can't be helped that our arena wasn't open when the season started or can't be helped there were 2 concerts already scheduled to play at the new arena before the first home game. Those concerts dates were already set before the NHL even came out with their schedule.
You totally missed my point about when they signed the contract with ESPN and looking ahead to future expansion.

I am not arguing for the NHL to break their contract with ESPN, never said that. Just wish they had a little foresight when negotiating said contract. I am very familiar on how contracts work as I was under one for 25 years and helped negotiate several.

We will have to agree to disagree on certain issues, I guess.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I honestly think having the 1st game on ESPN+/Hulu/CBC was a clever way to follow the national broadcast and still get the game locally. if you pay for cable to get Root, you get CBC too so it is there.

For the 1st 2 weeks, there's a lot of new smell on the team and as result are on national tv a lot. Going forward, we'll be back to Root & ESPN+ (out of market) for most of the other games.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I live in Central Washington and have Root Sports in my cable package thru Spectrum cable. For what ever reason the games are blacked out and I get a replay of Montana State football instead of live NHL SEATTLE KRAKEN. I received the pre-season games but once regular season games started they are blacked out. I can not believe this would happen to a pro sports team based out of Seattle saying all games will be broadcast exclusively on Root Sports NW. That is very bad business and untrue marketing on both the Kraken and Root Sorts NW.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I have spectrum cable live in Washington State and have Root Sports in my package. The games are blacked out and they show replays of past football games. I did receive the pre-season games but once regular season started games are blacked. I can't watch on ESPN Plus they black them out as well because Root Sports has the Territory I will get a total of 13 Kraken games on TV that are nationally televised and not on Root Sports. I am totally dumb founded that this could happen and the Kraken and Root Sports are ok with this.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have spectrum cable live in Washington State and have Root Sports in my package. The games are blacked out and they show replays of past football games. I did receive the pre-season games but once regular season started games are blacked. I can't watch on ESPN Plus they black them out as well because Root Sports has the Territory I will get a total of 13 Kraken games on TV that are nationally televised and not on Root Sports. I am totally dumb founded that this could happen and the Kraken and Root Sports are ok with this.

That just does not sound right. Did you try calling Root or Spectrum to figure out why this is happening?

Sucks that this is happening to you. Just out of curiosity, is this a Spectrum specific thing or a area/zip code specific thing. Can you sign up for a DirecTV Stream or Fubo TV trial to see if they are blacked out on those as well?

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
At least 13 of the games will be televised nationally, and at least half of those on hulu/espn+ exclusively for those who can't get ROOT or Can and get the dumb Idaho/Montana version is the literal center of Washington state.
Same hear in Selah WA blacked out WTF. Root Sports SUCKS BIG TIME.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
Update; directv and directv stream has an agreement, started for the first game.

Spectrum Cable, the major cable company for Eastern Washington doesn’t have an agreement to air kraken games.

In most of Idaho and 99% of Montana outside of Spokane TV market, no one gets kraken games on cable as expected but also the Kraken are blacked out of all non national ESPN+ games and CI/NHL.TV.
I don't understand why they can't reach an agreement with Spectrum is it over money and GREED.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Apparently Spectrum and root don’t have a agreement to air kraken games. Root did send out a pr release saying that they did but on social media they are telling fans that the games will be blacked out.

Basically root went to all the video providers and asked for more money to air kraken and blazer games. Same for the overflow channel when kraken and the blazers play at the same time.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
That just does not sound right. Did you try calling Root or Spectrum to figure out why this is happening?

Sucks that this is happening to you. Just out of curiosity, is this a Spectrum specific thing or a area/zip code specific thing. Can you sign up for a DirecTV Stream or Fubo TV trial to see if they are blacked out on those as well?
Yes I have called and emailed both Root Sports and Spectrum cable many times. I could switch to Direct TV but I have spectrum high speed internet and there is no alternative really any good out there in my Area. I also have ESPM Plus but they black out the Kraken games because Root Sports has the right to the territory. I will only be able to watch 13 games this year that are nationally televised and not on Root Sports. I can't believe this has happened to a new NHL franchise as they are trying to grow fans.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Root overplayed their hand asking for more money, especially when there aren't other places to go with the conflict with DISH and Direct TV having gone on. It's like they don't want eyeballs on their product, just money up front.

It's a combo of all factors though. Root is a better option than local broadcast TV as it has a FAR lower reach than Root, even without the Spectrum customers and then there aren't other regional carriers anymore otherwise. They could have gone all streaming, but nobody has really had high success with that yet that I'm aware. It is what it is and it sucks, but it could be worse.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes I have called and emailed both Root Sports and Spectrum cable many times. I could switch to Direct TV but I have spectrum high speed internet and there is no alternative really any good out there in my Area. I also have ESPM Plus but they black out the Kraken games because Root Sports has the right to the territory. I will only be able to watch 13 games this year that are nationally televised and not on Root Sports. I can't believe this has happened to a new NHL franchise as they are trying to grow fans.
That is unfortunate. I agree that the organization should have done a better job to make the Kraken games available to more local fans.

I agree with @The Marquis though that ROOT, on paper, made more sense because they are already catering local sports. If anything, I blame the Kraken organization for not having more detailed talks with ROOT Sports to figure out HOW they were going to provide the games to local fans despite only have limited providers that carry ROOT sports. The onus, at the end of the day, is on the team to make sure they do right by the fans.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I totally agree that the Kraken didn't do there home work. On the other hand they could do the right thing and step in and fix this problem by having meetings with Root Sports and get this fixed. Brand new franchise with no local tv is very poor on there part.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
Please don't lock up threads about Root sports and no Kraken games as a fan I am pissed just like every other fan that can't watch the games live on TV.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
How do u guys not have a gdt yet?

how has grubauer looked so far? I picked him up in fantasy he is overdue for a W

anyways just use sportsurge.net to watch kraken games please don’t get me in trouble for sharing. Comcast screwed over my devils too so I cannot watch any devils games as well I’m in the same boat as you guys.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Our WHL team has a more accessible tv deal than the NHL's with Root sports for those in the Seattle area in my opinion.

Easier to get more fans on aerial tv than a mostly cable only channel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad