TV Broadcast thread- Root Sports, ESPN etc

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
All this stuff really sucks. Won't affect me since I'm out of region and will be using NHL.TV but I feel bad for those of you this will affect.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I'm now down in Arizona, and was hoping to have ROOT available for pre & post game shows. However, DISH has taken them, and AT&T Sportsnet, who covers the Knights, off the guide. I'm assuming due to money issues. :thumbd:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hello. I want to watch your local broadcast. Is every game broadcast locally and if soon what channel? Or network. Thanks
ROOT sports for most of the local viewers. Some games will be on ESPN as a national broadcast. I am not sure who is doing the out-of-area games since NHL Center Ice is not available any more. I believe it is ESPN though that is handling that.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
My 95 year old grandmother, who lives in East Wenatchee and has Charter and ROOT was not able to watch the game despite wanting to because for some god forsaken reason she… in the middle of WA got the goddamned Montana State football game. f*** you, root sports. Get your head out of your ass. Or charter. Whoever is at fault here. Dumb. Wenatchee for f***s sake. A hockey crazy town with a bchl team doesn’t get Kraken games. I got it in the Columbia River Gorge, an hour further away from Seattle. Gahhhh. Just sad my grandma didn’t get to watch it with my dad tonight. Montana state football. What a joke.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My 95 year old grandmother, who lives in East Wenatchee and has Charter and ROOT was not able to watch the game despite wanting to because for some god forsaken reason she… in the middle of WA got the goddamned Montana State football game. f*** you, root sports. Get your head out of your ass. Or charter. Whoever is at fault here. Dumb. Wenatchee for f***s sake. A hockey crazy town with a bchl team doesn’t get Kraken games. I got it in the Columbia River Gorge, an hour further away from Seattle. Gahhhh. Just sad my grandma didn’t get to watch it with my dad tonight. Montana state football. What a joke.
Thats a bummer man. Sorry to hear it.

I have two ROOT channels with Fubo. One of them was playing a football game and the other the Kraken one.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma

Former Stevenson Bulldog, here! (The Gorge is a beautiful place. )

I feel for Granny. Just moved to Kingman, Arizona and found out that I'm in the viewing area of both the Kings & the Knights. So, I can't watch tonight's game between the two of them. I have DISH, and they didn't renew the contract for either AT&T Sportsnet (Vegas) or ROOT (Seattle). :(

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
What's extra-dumb is that this was a ROAD GAME.

I have ESPN+ and am a Center Ice long-hauler and couldn't watch the game by traditional means in Cowlitz county.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don't think anyone in Seattle likes Root sports. I like the production of it, the hosts etc but the accessibility of it is awful for non cable subscribers. Fubo tv is expensive if you don't have cable compared to Sling TV which I used for Fox Sports, ESPN etc. There is also no Root Sports app for the firestick to stream the games which is super annoying meaning I have to do so on my laptop.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
At least 13 of the games will be televised nationally, and at least half of those on hulu/espn+ exclusively for those who can't get ROOT or Can and get the dumb Idaho/Montana version is the literal center of Washington state.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Fubo tv should have Root Sports sometime before the first regular season game. Directv is also confirmed to have Kraken games

Unless if I’m missing something, it does seem like cable providers and root sports will have to come up with a new agreement (more $$) even if they already carry root sports in the kraken tv territory, otherwise the games will be blacked out.

Local blackouts will apply if you’re in the broadcast area. VPN will negate that if you’re on a PC

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Got to say i've enjoyed the Root sports broadcasts for the Kraken so far. Like the production and the hosts/presenters.

My only gripe is that Root is a pain in the ass to get if you don't have cable. You'd be as well having cable for what a FUBO TV subscription costs. I wish they could find a way to put it on a more affordable platform like Sling TV (even the hard to get PAC12 network has it on Sling). Other grip is that there is no Root sports app for the firestick but there is for my phone, so have to either watch on my phone or laptop plugged into tv.

Part of the Sounders popularity from day one (apart from a successful team) is that most broadcasts are accessible and countering on the Seahawks, Huskies, Mariners sucking and the Sonics leaving (most Seattle teams are struggling this year apart from the Sounders). Either on free to air channels like Fox or on ESPN/FS1. Seahawks are big due to being an NFL team but all broadcasts are mostly on CBS, Fox, NBC or one game a season on ESPN.

I want to confirm as well. For the Vancouver game tomorrow, is the broadcast on ESPN+ here in Seattle?

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes in the states its ESPN+, Cbc in canada.

The thing is with other stream options RSNs is too expensive for the other streaming providers to want to pick up for what viewership the networks get.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
The Kraken/NHL are dropping the ball on this.
First home game ever and it’s not televised locally. I don’t have ESPN+, my work doesn’t have ESPN+. Dumb on so many levels. It should be on Root or KONG/KING.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Kraken/NHL are dropping the ball on this.
First home game ever and it’s not televised locally. I don’t have ESPN+, my work doesn’t have ESPN+. Dumb on so many levels. It should be on Root or KONG/KING.

That's not how the contracts work. ESPN and TNT get first crack at the games. ESPN selects theirs then TNT selects theirs and everything else after that goes to the local team's RSN.

ESPN has well within their right to make it a ESPN+ game dumb yes but they had the contractual right to do that.

Plus ESPN+ is bloody cheap.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
The NHL should have mandated a national broadcast for the first home game though. Never should have been up to ESPN to claim.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NHL should have mandated a national broadcast for the first home game though. Never should have been up to ESPN to claim.

That's not how it works. The National networks always gets first crack at the games. Not their fault our arena wasn't done on time with having our first home game is on a Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00