OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I’m not sure if its been mentioned or not, but I highly recommend ‘Dopesick’

Its starring Michale Keaton and is about the Sackler family, Perdue pharma and how they were able to lie and deceive the world regarding OxyContin and the massive negative effects it had on society. Its shown from multiple perspectives and is extremely well done.

Reactions: kellhunter

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The first season of Witcher was great - 4/5 coelacanths. Anxious to see the second.

This was a fantastic little series, greatly enjoyed it. Some lovely character development and twists in plot.

Finally some of you might like "Dark". In German on Netflix. It takes a while to get going (shyteloads of backstory) but its ein bisschen gut.

EDIT - Another good one is "Trapped" - an Icelandic production. A great whodunnit... some fine Icelandic wool to pull over one's eyes.
Dark was one of my favorites. I actually had to print out an family/time period chart from an online group so I could follow along better !

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm watching more and more foreign series lately ... a lot better than the garbage from Hollywood.
They seem to spend more time on the stories and characters than special effects.

some of my favorite movies of all time are also foreign I.e. Let the right one in. (The Swedish one, NOT the remake from Hollywood)

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I'm so happy to hear people liking the series. I follow wot fandom and it is full of negativity.
Personally I love the series so far and that is coming from someone who has read through the series at least 5 times.
I agree, I think they are doing a pretty decent job with the series so far. Also have been through the entire series multiple times.

Reactions: Cypruss

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Succession is an entertaining series, called a drama but has some clever satire.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Not sure if its been mentioned (it probably has) but we just blew through the first season of Succession is about 2 or 3 days. It's incredible. Already looking forward to starting season 2 tonight.
I envy you. The end of season 2? *chefs kiss*

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am struggling with Succession. I have started and stopped it 3 times now and its not working for me………….Yet.

Reactions: macmaroon

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I am struggling with Succession. I have started and stopped it 3 times now and its not working for me………….Yet.

IMO it's one of the most brilliantly written and performed series ever. So, if you aren't completely hooked from the get go, it's possible you never will be. This is a show where you should be impatiently awaiting the next episode, the next season. Of course, not a problem for people currently catching up with binge watching until they get to the last scene of season 3 and go, OMG, holy shit, he didn't... ooh, that look in someone's eyes... there will be blood in season 4. :laugh:

Have I piqued your curiosity enough to stick with it? ;)

PS Back to an earlier conversation. John Wick 3 did get a little tiresome (and seriously... glass that is bulletproof but breaks when you get pushed into it? Give me a break), but I'm hoping John Wick 4 makes up for it. That should be the end of the story arc, although there is talk of prequels and spinoffs.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You're not alone. Heard great things about Succession, but I found most of the characters dislikable and one-dimensional.

Try watching Mare of Easttown, with Kate Winslet. Amazing actress, complex character, good story.

Enjoyed The Blue Rose as well--New Zealand in origin, slightly quirky premise, but a lot of fun once you get into the characters.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You're not alone. Heard great things about Succession, but I found most of the characters dislikable and one-dimensional.

Try watching Mare of Easttown, with Kate Winslet. Amazing actress, complex character, good story.

Enjoyed The Blue Rose as well--New Zealand in origin, slightly quirky premise, but a lot of fun once you get into the characters.

Second time today Mare of Easton has been recommended so I’ll give it a go.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Just so ya know, I hated Mare of Easttown. I thought it was boring, contrived and just a big vanity project for Kate Winslet, who is one of the executive producers. And the much ballyhooed authentic Delco accent they used in the show? Really annoying. Save yourself some time. Just watch the SNL parody. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Just watched the first episode of Mare of Easttown and although its dark and pretty heavy Winslet’s character pulls you in right away. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Reactions: scelaton
Nov 24, 2006
Kate Winslet is amazing in this. The story is not original but she knocks her role out of the park.

Succession. I’m not sure where I stand on this one yet. Easily some of the most unlikable characters on TV. I can’t stand these people. But maybe that’s the charm?

Kieran Culkin character however has really grown on me. I’ve never seen him in anything before but his character and acting is great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad