Post-Game Talk: Tuukka Stellar in 2-0 win over Bolts

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
If they don't make some noise in the playoffs it will be very disappointing considering all the talent on this squad. With Horton healthy there's a good chance that Peverley is playing on the 4th line and when you have a guy like him on your 4th line your team is pretty damn good.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Could very well happen again this season too. Like I've said before, I think this team is lacking its identity and I think it's going to be the deciding factor in our playoff success.

Fact still remains however... Things are pretty damn good. And if you can't recognize how lucky we are as a fanbase, then it's a choice YOU'RE making - not management's shortcomings.

Not sure I agree with your second paragraph. I don't think I would call the fanbase "lucky", in the sense you make it seem. We pour in a lot of resources, and a winning team is the expectation here. Tickets are not free the last I checked, neither is the merchandise, and the players are not volunteers.

Players that have the honor of playing here are lucky to have such a passionate fanbase that lives and breathes not only the team, but the sport. Yes, it is awesome to have so many winning teams in Boston over the last decade plus, but it isn't from "luck". Luck implies that the fans have done nothing to generate the outcome. Have a season where you don't sell one seat at the Garden, and let's see how many people Chia can sign at a high level to put a decent product on the ice.

This is why so many Bruins fans are groaning lately. We know the team is capable of so much more. They have consistently underperformed this season. That is unacceptable and cannot be excused away by thinking about how "lucky" we may or may not be about recent history. "Things are pretty damn good" is also a factor of relevance. Pretty good compared to what? The situation in Carolina? The situation in Florida? See, your statement doesn't bring it back to what the team is capable of. It only compares our situation to a team that may just be "more bad" that our team at this time. I care about our team and how they are playing per their capabilities. So no, things are not "pretty damn good". The team is playing at 6 out of 10 this season.

The vocalized concern is not borne from the absence of passion, but from the abundance of it.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If the Bruins start Redden over Hamilton in the playoffs, they are going to make a very early exit. Hamilton is the only dman who can contribute offensively and they need all the offensive help they can get. He makes mistakes defensively, but which one of our dmen doesn't? Even Chara has looked terrible at times lately. Besides, Hamilton contributed to the Bruins being in 2nd place in the conference and totally deserves to play in the playoffs. Not playing Hamilton this year would be a lot worse than not playing Seguin 2 years ago was.

RH to LH.

You're not looking at Redden over Hamilton. You're looking at Hamilton over McQuaid.

Chara - Seidenberg (that one's a cinch)
After that you have:
Redden
Ference
Johnson
on the left side
and
Boychuk
McQuaid
Hamilton
on the right side

Wade Redden and Dougie Hamilton are not fighting for the same roster position.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
the main things to take away from last night are the first 2 words in the title of this thread, and the fact that they were so aggressive and effective on the PK against a team choc full of PP whores.

Other than that i found it a bit troublesome that a team that is just playing out the string, and on the 2nd leg of back to backs, was actually still in the game late into the 3rd.

Mr. Make-Believe

Not sure I agree with your second paragraph. I don't think I would call the fanbase "lucky", in the sense you make it seem. We pour in a lot of resources, and a winning team is the expectation here. Tickets are not free the last I checked, neither is the merchandise, and the players are not volunteers.

Players that have the honor of playing here are lucky to have such a passionate fanbase that lives and breathes not only the team, but the sport. Yes, it is awesome to have so many winning teams in Boston over the last decade plus, but it isn't from "luck". Luck implies that the fans have done nothing to generate the outcome. Have a season where you don't sell one seat at the Garden, and let's see how many people Chia can sign at a high level to put a decent product on the ice.

This is why so many Bruins fans are groaning lately. We know the team is capable of so much more. They have consistently underperformed this season. That is unacceptable and cannot be excused away by thinking about how "lucky" we may or may not be about recent history. The vocalized concern is not borne from the absence of passion, but from the abundance of it.

We've seen a recent Cup. We're managed very well. And the team has only lost four regulation games at home this season. This is NOT an easy league to accomplish that kind of success in. And if you choose to look at the last month as your measure as to how lucky (or "fortunate" if you prefer) you are to be cheering for a team like this, while ignoring all of the other things we've witnessed recently together as Bruins fans? That's your CHOICE to do so.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
I repeat...Lucic changed everything, the boys are back!

how many times have we heard that this season? We know what Looch is capable of, that's why we love him and are so hard on him when he doesn't deliver. It's about consistency, not playing like the Looch of old once every 6 games.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I honestly think they'll try Doug out for Game 1 over Redden. At least I think they should. I don't reckon there's too much difference between a 7th or a 6th round pick, but Clode seems to have more rope for rookie D than he does for forwards, more inclined to give them a chance. Like McQuaid a coupla years ago. I have no beef at all with rookies in the playoffs, the 2011 team had 3 of them. Lots of guys get juiced up and play better in the post-season; I hope Clode gives Doug a look.

I actually think this is more about left verses right.

I think Julien as usual wants to put Seids with Chara which leaves three righties for two spots. Hamilton is the odd man out. I think Julien is going to go with his experienced d-men. I do figure at some point Dougie will show up but he has to be able to play with the man on his left not being Chara or Seids.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
If the Bruins start Redden over Hamilton in the playoffs, they are going to make a very early exit. Hamilton is the only dman who can contribute offensively and they need all the offensive help they can get. He makes mistakes defensively, but which one of our dmen doesn't? Even Chara has looked terrible at times lately. Besides, Hamilton contributed to the Bruins being in 2nd place in the conference and totally deserves to play in the playoffs. Not playing Hamilton this year would be a lot worse than not playing Seguin 2 years ago was.

hamilton and redden (maybe seids too) are the only defensemen we have with some decent hockey sense.

if you ask me, redden should def be in there. He finds seams, makes nice breakout passes, and knows where to be. He's slow, but effective.

McQuaid on the other hand doesnt do any of that. I think McQuaid is the odd man out., and Hamilton dresses.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
We've seen a recent Cup. We're managed very well. And the team has only lost four regulation games at home this season. This is NOT an easy league to accomplish that kind of success in. And if you choose to look at the last month as your measure as to how lucky (or "fortunate" if you prefer) you are to be cheering for a team like this, while ignoring all of the other things we've witnessed recently together as Bruins fans? That's your CHOICE to do so.

You are making my point. I have no obligation to support this team. It is my choice. It is everyone's choice. Good management is the expectation. Winning is the expectation. A Stanley Cup, no, that cannot be the expectation simply because you cannot control what other teams do, too many variables to "expect" that. But to compete for one, most certainly.

So again, I am not sure why I am "lucky" to root for this team. This team is the expectation, not the exception, not some luck of the Irish, or unicorn. And the team is not playing like they are capable. When they win, we celebrate them at epic levels. When they lose, if it is due to being outworked/outplayed, we are all over them with the same fury.

That's how it works here in Boston, and if you look around, many other very successful sport cities.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
how many times have we heard that this season? We know what Looch is capable of, that's why we love him and are so hard on him when he doesn't deliver. It's about consistency, not playing like the Looch of old once every 6 games.

It's got to start somewhere again, right?

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
RH to LH.

You're not looking at Redden over Hamilton. You're looking at Hamilton over McQuaid.

Chara - Seidenberg (that one's a cinch)
After that you have:
Redden
Ference
Johnson
on the left side
and
Boychuk
McQuaid
Hamilton
on the right side

Wade Redden and Dougie Hamilton are not fighting for the same roster position.

I get what you're saying but I think a right handed dman like Boychuk could play on the left side when Chara is paired with Seidenberg, but as soon as we are down a goal and need offense I would play Hamilton with Chara and then Boychuk can go back to the right side to play with Seidenberg. Not sure how often Boychuk has played on the left side before but it's not like it's something unheard of. We do that with Seidenberg when he plays with Chara. Third pairing would be Ference and McQuaid. If we play Redden it means we have to take one of McQuaid or Hamilton out, which means indirectly Redden could bump Hamilton. Unless he bumps McQuaid, I would be OK with that I guess. I have zero confidence in Redden to be honest, I guess it shows :laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

You are making my point. I have no obligation to support this team. It is my choice. It is everyone's choice. Good management is the expectation. Winning is the expectation. A Stanley Cup, no, that cannot be the expectation simply because you cannot control what other teams do, too many variables to "expect" that. But to compete for one, most certainly.

So again, I am not sure why I am "lucky" to root for this team. This team is the expectation, not the exception, not some luck of the Irish, or unicorn. And the team is not playing like they are capable. When they win, we celebrate them at epic levels. When they lose, if it is due to being outworked/outplayed, we are all over them with the same fury.

That's how it works here in Boston, and if you look around, many other very successful sport cities.

You can be upset when your team loses. That makes sense. I am too.

But I can also be upset without suggesting that we blow the whole damn thing up.

You want to do that? That's fine.

But we are lucky to root for a team that's been successful. That has over the last few seasons, identified themselves as we do ourselves as Bruins fans. Since I've been watching, this era is what I've jonesed for and not (until now) received. Could have just as easily never seen it. I consider myself very fortunate.

Mr. Make-Believe

I get what you're saying but I think a right handed dman like Boychuk could play on the left side when Chara is paired with Seidenberg, but as soon as we are down a goal and need offense I would play Hamilton with Chara and then Boychuk can go back to the right side to play with Seidenberg. Not sure how often Boychuk has played on the left side before but it's not like it's something unheard of. We do that with Seidenberg when he plays with Chara. Third pairing would be Ference and McQuaid. If we play Redden it means we have to take one of McQuaid or Hamilton out, which means indirectly Redden could bump Hamilton. Unless he bumps McQuaid, I would be OK with that I guess. I have zero confidence in Redden to be honest, I guess it shows :laugh:

Boychuk on the right side was BRUTAL. Tried it earlier this season. Completely awful, out of position... Trainwreck. Seidenberg is a different animal, as he's a LH shot that PREFERS to play on his off-side, but can do either.

I can understand having zero confidence in Redden. Not sure how I feel, other than I THINK he'd have the potential to do just fine. As well crash and burn horribly.

But what you propose, is breaking up Chara/Seidenberg (even if it's just for spells), or playing Hamilton on the top pair, or putting Boychuk on his off-side, or bumping McQuaid in favor of Hamilton (I think, anyway... with your last proposal there). I disagree with each and every one of these moves and see playing Redden in the top six as being a far lesser evil than any of them. Until proven otherwise, I suppose. ;)

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
You can be upset when your team loses. That makes sense. I am too.

But I can also be upset without suggesting that we blow the whole damn thing up.

You want to do that? That's fine.

But we are lucky to root for a team that's been successful. That has over the last few seasons, identified themselves as we do ourselves as Bruins fans. Since I've been watching, this era is what I've jonesed for and not (until now) received. Could have just as easily never seen it. I consider myself very fortunate.

Good post.

People just don't realize how fortunate we are. We are cup competitive consistently for the last few years.

A mind blowing fact,

If the number of teams stay the same, there is one team in the NHL today that is guaranteed not to win the cup for at least thirty years.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
To get Hamilton in the line up it isn't as simple as having Boychuk or Mcquaid play on their off side.

Seids prefers and likes to play on the right. Julien during the regular season uses him on the left but likes him paired with Chara for the playoffs.

Means we have an extra right side D-man and I think Julien is going to go with experience over youth.

Mr. Make-Believe

If they don't make some noise in the playoffs it will be very disappointing considering all the talent on this squad. With Horton healthy there's a good chance that Peverley is playing on the 4th line and when you have a guy like him on your 4th line your team is pretty damn good.

Team is good roster-wise. But we've seen paper teams lose in the past.

For me, the key is winning round one. The further go and the deeper we get - the better this team is going to play.

As it stands, I'm very nervous about a first-round exit.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

For me, the key is winning round one. The further go and the deeper we get - the better this team is going to play.

I just hope they play with passion and don't get beat by a team that's been cup-hungry for a while considering we just won 2 years ago...

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I agree, partly why I don't mind a Rags 1st round. If they make it through them, I think they'll be well poised to get through round 2. Pitt will be tough to beat no matter what.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
To get Hamilton in the line up it isn't as simple as having Boychuk or Mcquaid play on their off side.

Seids prefers and likes to play on the right. Julien during the regular season uses him on the left but likes him paired with Chara for the playoffs.

Means we have an extra right side D-man and I think Julien is going to go with experience over youth.

I am going to die a little bit inside if Hamilton doesn't start the playoffs. Statistically, Bruins have the worst offensive contribution from their dmen of all the top teams from both conferences. And our forwards are struggling. We need more of Hamilton and much less of Redden, McQuaid and Ference. I guess I don't see what a lot of people do see in Redden. I saw him make a horrible turnover in our defensive zone the other day (blind pass in the middle, exactly what you don't want your dman to do) and I remember him getting caught in the offensive zone a few times, including once that turned into a goal. Not that he is the only one to do that, pretty much each of our dman has had a terrible stretch defensively at some point this season. But still, I don't get why we would trust someone who has played in the AHL mostly the last 3 years and would obviously not have played in the playoffs for the Blues since they were ready to trade him for almost nothing. And I hope we didn't get Jagr to play "lets-try-not-to-lose". I would play Hamilton at least on the bottom pairing at 5v5, and I would want him on the ice at least 1 minute of each PP with Jagr. Then if down by a goal or two in the 3rd period I would play him with Chara. I would go to war with that and hope for the best. If we are going to lose in the first round again I'd rather lose with Hamilton than lose with Redden.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I just hope they play with passion and don't get beat by a team that's been cup-hungry for a while considering we just won 2 years ago...

With the Bruins talent and playoff experience they should be able to win their first round series and build from there, but what I haven't seen from them last year and so far this season is that "Cup-hunger". It's almost as if some of the players are satisfied with winning the Cup two years ago and don't want to pay the price to hoist another Stanley Cup...if that's the case, then we're screwed, but I'm optimistic that these guys are better than that.

nycbruins*

I am going to die a little bit inside if Hamilton doesn't start the playoffs. Statistically, Bruins have the worst offensive contribution from their dmen of all the top teams from both conferences. And our forwards are struggling. We need more of Hamilton and much less of Redden, McQuaid and Ference. I guess I don't see what a lot of people do see in Redden. I saw him make a horrible turnover in our defensive zone the other day (blind pass in the middle, exactly what you don't want your dman to do) and I remember him getting caught in the offensive zone a few times, including once that turned into a goal. Not that he is the only one to do that, pretty much each of our dman has had a terrible stretch defensively at some point this season. But still, I don't get why we would trust someone who has played in the AHL mostly the last 3 years and would obviously not have played in the playoffs for the Blues since they were ready to trade him for almost nothing. And I hope we didn't get Jagr to play "lets-try-not-to-lose". I would play Hamilton at least on the bottom pairing at 5v5, and I would want him on the ice at least 1 minute of each PP with Jagr. Then if down by a goal or two in the 3rd period I would play him with Chara. I would go to war with that and hope for the best. If we are going to lose in the first round again I'd rather lose with Hamilton than lose with Redden.

Well, redden is making fewer mistakes than just about all our dmen so we could write a book on each dman's mistakes.

He is calm, moves the puck & has been as offensively engaged as any of them. Scratch mcquaid before redden imo

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
With the Bruins talent and playoff experience they should be able to win their first round series and build from there, but what I haven't seen from them last year and so far this season is that "Cup-hunger". It's almost as if some of the players are satisfied with winning the Cup two years ago and don't want to pay the price to hoist another Stanley Cup...if that's the case, then we're screwed, but I'm optimistic that these guys are better than that.

Hope you're right. Sometimes this season its made me wonder if they even are cup hungry though. I hope they actually want to win again and they don't look at winning cup as a pain in the butt with all the publicity during the summer months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad