Post-Game Talk: Tuukka Stellar in 2-0 win over Bolts

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Am I happy that they won? Of course, but seriously, two wins over the 2 worst teams in the east is nothing to be crowing about. They are SUPPOSED to win these games....convincingly. Nor are they supposed to lose against non-contenders as awfully as they have.

In a vacuum, I suppose. However, in reality, TB is a better team than they were pre-deadline. Not even counting that, TB has just underperformed this year - they have quite a good amount of talent on that team, and have the ability to beat any team on any given night.

To say that we SHOULD win convincingly is not respecting the youth and talent growing over in Tampa. Then again, I guess in this sense you deserve a pass, you did mention you are 55. ;)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Even though the Bruins haven't played the house down lately they are still:

-tied for 4th in the league in points (with Montreal)
-third in the league with 102 goals against
-third in the league in goal differential with a +25

They are one of the elite teams and can do damage in the playoffs.

Yet more evidence why Julien should be fired.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
On the other hand, Did anyone else think Pouliot had a big grin on his face at the beginning of his fight with Ference? It looked that way to me, but it didn't take long for that to change.

Ference fought like a whirling dervish. My guess is Poo thought "oh it's just Ference, I can take this guy" and then he realized Andy could pack a wallop even if his technique isn't perfect.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
In 2011-12, Bruins were 3rd in GF, 6th in GA, 3rd in 5-on-5 play, and tied for 7th in Points (2nd seed, Division champs).

They got knocked out in the 1st round and scored only 15 goals in 7 games (2.14 avg.)

What's your point? That it means nothing how good the Bruins are in the regular season if they suck in the playoffs?

Then why are you whining for the last couple months at the way the team is playing this year?

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Seems like it was

Chara and Seids
Redden and Boychuck
Ference and Quaider

Possibly redden and Ference were flip flopped.

I honestly think they'll try Doug out for Game 1 over Redden. At least I think they should. I don't reckon there's too much difference between a 7th or a 6th round pick, but Clode seems to have more rope for rookie D than he does for forwards, more inclined to give them a chance. Like McQuaid a coupla years ago. I have no beef at all with rookies in the playoffs, the 2011 team had 3 of them. Lots of guys get juiced up and play better in the post-season; I hope Clode gives Doug a look.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I honestly think they'll try Doug out for Game 1 over Redden. At least I think they should. I don't reckon there's too much difference between a 7th or a 6th round pick, but Clode seems to have more rope for rookie D than he does for forwards, more inclined to give them a chance. Like McQuaid a coupla years ago. I have no beef at all with rookies in the playoffs, the 2011 team had 3 of them. Lots of guys get juiced up and play better in the post-season; I hope Clode gives Doug a look.

The only difference was McQuaid was known more as a defensive dman...Hamilton right now struggles in his own end.

I don't know about you guys...but Boychuk has taken a HUGE step back this year. I haven't noticed him lately.

nycbruins*

thanks I thought I saw somewhere redden got scratched. maybe i read that wrong.

NO, you read it right, but it was Fluto's lineup "projection". When there's no morning skate, Fluto throws crap on a wall & comes up with a lineup. And as a cruel joke, we spend hours lamenting the lineup & then when the game starts, it's not that close. We spent hours complaining about Jagr playing with some crap players for his debut because of Fluto's projection & then the game started & he played with Marchand & Seguin.

Redden played again & played pretty well again, IMO.
Think it comes down to a McQuaid-Hamilton decision on who plays with Redden on 3rd pair. Probably start with McQuaid & thru injury or ineffectiveness, Dougie will be in before the 1st series is over.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
NO, you read it right, but it was Fluto's lineup "projection". When there's no morning skate, Fluto throws crap on a wall & comes up with a lineup. And as a cruel joke, we spend hours lamenting the lineup & then when the game starts, it's not that close. We spent hours complaining about Jagr playing with some crap players for his debut because of Fluto's projection & then the game started & he played with Marchand & Seguin.

Redden played again & played pretty well again, IMO.
Think it comes down to a McQuaid-Hamilton decision on who plays with Redden on 3rd pair. Probably start with McQuaid & thru injury or ineffectiveness, Dougie will be in before the 1st series is over.

Fluto's a decent reporter but always take his lineup projections with a grain of salt. He's wrong more often than not.

Watched the game on DVR and agreed with a point Brickley made early on - it wasn't as much about the competition as about how the Bruins played. And as such they looked pretty good to me. Finishing their checks, working hard, making the simple plays, all things they needed to concentrate on.

Specifically regarding Lucic's fight, I knew it was coming of course and was surprised that it came at the end of a long shift. If he'd been fresh he probably would have destroyed the guy. Overall he played a solid game, which was encouraging.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
In a vacuum, I suppose. However, in reality, TB is a better team than they were pre-deadline. Not even counting that, TB has just underperformed this year - they have quite a good amount of talent on that team, and have the ability to beat any team on any given night.

To say that we SHOULD win convincingly is not respecting the youth and talent growing over in Tampa. Then again, I guess in this sense you deserve a pass, you did mention you are 55. ;)

If you want to take my post out of context and respond with a snarky comeback you certainly won't be winning any pals any time soon, but that'll be your little cross to bear, I don't give a ****.

But seriously, you're really satisfied with they way they've been playing? What was the problem vs the Canes and Flyers? Certainly they can also beat any team on any given night,(nice overused cliche that covers a lot of hedging of bets), but is that an excuse for the way they lost?

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Redden played again & played pretty well again, IMO. Think it comes down to a McQuaid-Hamilton decision on who plays with Redden on 3rd pair. Probably start with McQuaid & thru injury or ineffectiveness, Dougie will be in before the 1st series is over.

I had heard that as well. I watched him play the other night and thought he played pretty darn well and seems to be adapting to the system.

I think NOT starting DH will be a good thing and keep him fresh and hungry. and you're right, most likely will be in the series due to a possible injury.

Mr. Make-Believe

In 2011-12, Bruins were 3rd in GF, 6th in GA, 3rd in 5-on-5 play, and tied for 7th in Points (2nd seed, Division champs).

They got knocked out in the 1st round and scored only 15 goals in 7 games (2.14 avg.)

Could very well happen again this season too. Like I've said before, I think this team is lacking its identity and I think it's going to be the deciding factor in our playoff success.

Fact still remains however... Things are pretty damn good. And if you can't recognize how lucky we are as a fanbase, then it's a choice YOU'RE making - not management's shortcomings.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

So what exactly are you saying?... that a fan who is 55 and has seen a lot more hockey over the years than you have, is not qualified to have an accurate opinion about today's hockey.
I don't get it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Fluto's a decent reporter but always take his lineup projections with a grain of salt. He's wrong more often than not.

Watched the game on DVR and agreed with a point Brickley made early on - it wasn't as much about the competition as about how the Bruins played. And as such they looked pretty good to me. Finishing their checks, working hard, making the simple plays, all things they needed to concentrate on.

Specifically regarding Lucic's fight, I knew it was coming of course and was surprised that it came at the end of a long shift. If he'd been fresh he probably would have destroyed the guy. Overall he played a solid game, which was encouraging.

Bingo...to me results and opponent are irrelevant the last few games... I want to see my team playing their "A" game...and it's getting close.

Lucic waking up...Rask dominating...the Merlot line doing their thing...Kelly playing well...Defensive pairs set up like I like them and playing better... It's getting there.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
If you want to take my post out of context and respond with a snarky comeback you certainly won't be winning any pals any time soon, but that'll be your little cross to bear, I don't give a ****.

But seriously, you're really satisfied with they way they've been playing? What was the problem vs the Canes and Flyers? Certainly they can also beat any team on any given night,(nice overused cliche that covers a lot of hedging of bets), but is that an excuse for the way they lost?

I'm with you - I'm happy about the win but apprehensive overall. At least one dominant 60 minute performance in one of the two remaining games will have me feeling better, but on the flipside another performance like the Flyers game in either of these 2 remaining games ain't gonna help...

Mr. Make-Believe

Bingo...to me results and opponent are irrelevant the last few games... I want to see my team playing their "A" game...and it's getting close.

Lucic waking up...Rask dominating...the Merlot line doing their thing...Kelly playing well...Defensive pairs set up like I like them and playing better... It's getting there.

The roster with injuries, additions, etc. has been a bit of a dog's breakfast over this last little while. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they look disorganized. The ARE (were?) disorganized. Doesn't excuse the lack of physical play or other problems along the way. But the lines have been a constant jumble for some time now... And are only JUST getting solidified.

It may be coming a little too late. But I think if the Bruins manage to get through Round 1 this year, we're going to see the team improve as they advance through the post-season.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
If the Bruins start Redden over Hamilton in the playoffs, they are going to make a very early exit. Hamilton is the only dman who can contribute offensively and they need all the offensive help they can get. He makes mistakes defensively, but which one of our dmen doesn't? Even Chara has looked terrible at times lately. Besides, Hamilton contributed to the Bruins being in 2nd place in the conference and totally deserves to play in the playoffs. Not playing Hamilton this year would be a lot worse than not playing Seguin 2 years ago was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad