Former Bruins Tuukka Rask

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Hmmm? Get your facts straight. He's Finnish Linus with more starts in net during the playoffs.

The Bruins didn't win because of Rask. They won in spite of Rask. Fact, not opinion.
What are his stats overall in the playoffs? How do they compare to his regular season stats?
That is indeed an opinion, and one I do not share, but you are free to believe what you want.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What are his stats overall in the playoffs? How do they compare to his regular season stats?
That is indeed an opinion, and one I do not share, but you are free to believe what you want.
He won’t answer you. He wants to point out the 3 game 7s, but completely ignores the 14 playoff losses Tuukka had where he allowed 2 goals or less and another 4 OT games where he allowed 2 in regulation.

He wants to talk about the game 7s, but doesn’t want to talk about the lack of offense in all the games 1-6 Rask faced in front of him that resulted in the game 7s

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Tuukka Rask in Game 7s:

3-3, .867 Save Percentage, 3.35 GAA

When facing Toronto in Game 7s:

3-0, .894 save percentage , 2.92 GAA

When playing anyone else in Game 7s:

0-3, .831 save percentage, 3.79 GAA

Tell me again how he's not like Linus Ullmark when he plays against anyone except Toronto, exactly. Hmmm? Get your facts straight. He's Finnish Linus with more starts in net during the playoffs.

The Bruins didn't win because of Rask. They won in spite of Rask. Fact, not opinion.
Uh, that's definitely an opinion.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Uh, that's definitely an opinion.

Please. Try and defend an .831 save percentage against any team that's not Toronto in big game 7 moments. I'd love to hear how this guy who constantly lowered his standard of play in big game moments is somehow this amazing goalie who just didn't get enough support from his blue line. Meanwhile, he constantly hung his teammates out to dry for two seasons straight in 2014-15 and 2015-16 only to get exposed in 2016-17 as being a soft goaltender come playoff time against the Lightning. Rask is overrated and wasn't worth the amount of money he took up in cap dollars. Did he get screwed over in the last years of his run? Yes. He clearly wasn't ready to play after health problems. Were there times where he didn't leave it all on the ice when the Bruins needed him to like Tim Thomas back in 2010-11? You bet your ass he did and he did it on multiple occasions.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Please. Try and defend an .831 save percentage against any team that's not Toronto in big game 7 moments. I'd love to hear how this guy who constantly lowered his standard of play in big game moments is somehow this amazing goalie who just didn't get enough support from his blue line. Meanwhile, he constantly hung his teammates out to dry for two seasons straight in 2014-15 and 2015-16 only to get exposed in 2016-17 as being a soft goaltender come playoff time against the Lightning. Rask is overrated and wasn't worth the amount of money he took up in cap dollars. Did he get screwed over in the last years of his run? Yes. He clearly wasn't ready to play after health problems. Were there times where he didn't leave it all on the ice when the Bruins needed him to like Tim Thomas back in 2010-11? You bet your ass he did and he did it on multiple occasions.
I’m assuming you mean 2017-2018 playoffs against the lightning. Because 2016-2017 was the playoff series where he had a .920 save percentage and 2.24 GAA, but the offense scored 13 goals in 6 games and they lost.

Now let’s look at the year you are talking about against the lightning the following year of 2017-2018

Game 1 6-2 win for the bruins. Rest of the way the offense scored 2, 1, 3(OT game), and 1 goal.

You are out here say Tuukka collapsed in this series when the offense scored 7 goals in the final 4 games including an OT period.

Hell game 6 of that series, which Tampa clinched the series on Tuukka allowed 2 goals and the offense only scored one.

So unless your standard for Tuukka is to pitch a shutout or only allow 1 goal a game the bruins never had a shot to begin with in that series.

Reactions: OConnellsProtege

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I’m assuming you mean 2017-2018 playoffs against the lightning. Because 2016-2017 was the playoff series where he had a .920 save percentage and 2.24 GAA, but the offense scored 13 goals in 6 games and they lost.

Now let’s look at the year you are talking about against the lightning the following year of 2017-2018

Game 1 6-2 win for the bruins. Rest of the way the offense scored 2, 1, 3(OT game), and 1 goal.

You are out here say Tuukka collapsed in this series when the offense scored 7 goals in the final 4 games including an OT period.

Hell game 6 of that series, which Tampa clinched the series on Tuukka allowed 2 goals and the offense only scored one.

So unless your standard for Tuukka is to pitch a shutout or only allow 1 goal a game the bruins never had a shot to begin with in that series.
Yes. If he's supposedly worth being the highest paid goalie in the NHL, he needs to be Hasek levels of good when called upon.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

If a team is banking on a goalie recreating one of the greatest playoff runs in league history to go anywhere, that says a hell of a lot more about the team than it does the goalie.

And Im sorry, but since when is .922 and .915 "hanging teammates out to dry"?

Not to mention that playoff you want to keep harping on is a Smythe worthy performance against Ullmark's 2 playoffs...903/2.88 vs .860/4.16 and .896/3.33

Also, boo hoo. He had 1 bad playoff. EVERY goalie has at least 1 bad playoff on their resume.

Yes. If he's supposedly worth being the highest paid goalie in the NHL, he needs to be Hasek levels of good when called upon.

Well he never was the highest paid goalie, but you do you

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
but he wasnt highest paid goalie in the nhl

Key phrase "supposedly worth being". If I'm not mistaken, there were some people in here at some point suggesting he was better than Carey Price or Henrik Lundqvist (which he wasn't). And he was certainly paid close to their level, only for it to hurt the team in terms of how it could build going forward.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Regardless of your propensity to back up your OPINION based on using only the stats that firmly back up your OPINION, it is still your OPINION. That's literally the only fact here.

It's not worth it. He's gonna continue to cherry pick stats to push his opinion as "fact".

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Boo Hoo Tuukka Crew is back already? Jesus H. Christ. You do realize that the reason why the Bruins fell on their faces again was because of the fact that Ullmark is a carbon copy of Tuukka? Nothing changed in terms of net minding style. Was Ullmark slightly more aggressive at stopping pucks? Yes, I suppose. HOWEVER, he still has similar flaws when it comes to big games. And when you are a Vezina caliber goalie, like Rask and Ullmark are, you need to step up and steal a game for your team when duty calls. Rask and Ullmark have never done that. Neither has Swayman, btw. That said...he did a lot more to keep the Bruins advancing than Ullmark did in the games that he started, which is similar to what we saw with Rask. Stop doing revisionist history. Rask was the weak link in the past just like how Ullmark was, because both of them didn't take it into another gear. They are regular season players. That's all they'll ever be.

How many MVP caliber runs has Ullmark had?

The hate the man gets is insane

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You can hate on Rask all you want, the difference between our goalies today and a prime Rask is he doesn't allow this Florida team get to game 7, he shuts it down in 5 or 6. Yet in your eyes all that matters is the game 7 stats, not all the times he shut it down in 4, 5 or 6 games in impressive fashion.

How is there so much activity in this thread? Rask didn't even play for this year Bruins, yet after getting eliminated from the playoffs this is one of the most active threads.
People reminiscing on how we took him for granted and the same usual people saying he never made a big save in his career. Seems pretty on par for a Rask thread

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He was tied for the highest paid goalie for one year when they pretty much matched the pekka rinne deal from the previous season. The rest of his career he was 30% below the top paid goalie AAV.

Once again just a bunch nonsense.

Reactions: 13Hockey

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Key phrase "supposedly worth being". If I'm not mistaken, there were some people in here at some point suggesting he was better than Carey Price or Henrik Lundqvist (which he wasn't). And he was certainly paid close to their level, only for it to hurt the team in terms of how it could build going forward.

What are we defining as close because Linda it’s was paid about 20% more and price was paid about 30% more than their AAVs.

I don’t define that as close. Idk maybe you do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad